December 08, 2019, 12:25:46 AM

Author Topic: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)  (Read 1044515 times)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)
« Reply #9600 on: July 20, 2017, 12:13:34 PM »
Last night I had a very weird dream, involving Saraband and scenes from the latest episode of Colony ::)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #9601 on: July 20, 2017, 05:29:39 PM »
Ultament, I can't hear any Hispanic or black in your voice myself, but I'm not used to such slight tones, so I couldn't tell. But you definitely sound great. You know how sometimes you watch a tutorial video and the guy makes a voice over explaining things, and his voice is so horrible you look for a different video? Well in your case I'd look for other videos you made just to listen to you some more!
I assume dubbing is harder to get into when blind because the common way is by visual cues, but some shows when you make the first voice, not a dub, do the dialogue before the animation is entirely finished. Even then, I can't imagine a blind voice actor being such a big difference with some audio cues and help from the staff.
It'd be worth looking into (pun unintended).

I also found it quite funny that your event was so good for the community, as such conventions tend to be, yet all the more terrifying due to the sheer number of you, making the con harder and harder to navigate. It's a cool concept in itself for a short story.  :P
I was talking to my girlfriend about this last night, and she says my accent shifts depending on who I'm talking to, what time of day it is, what I'm discussing, etc. She said in that recording I sound neutral, but at other times I don't. But she's weird, so who knows. :P

As for the convention, you're not wrong. Blind people usually have to go through special training known as Orientation and Mobility. It teaches us how to use a cane, and how to listen for audio cues and pay attention to scents and all that. Well, that's what a good teacher is supposed to do. So at these conventions, I can always tell who has had a good teacher. There's also the blind people that have enough vision to believe they can navigate without a cane. So they spend their time walking around with their eyes glued to the ground, or following certain colors in the crowd. These are the ones that slam right into my head and don't have a cane with them, and half the time act like it's my fault even when I'm standing still. But I blame the school system for that as well.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9602 on: July 20, 2017, 06:09:01 PM »
I'm sorry to be disparaging but if they bump into a blind man standing still and act like it's his fault I think it's the parents you can blame. Obviously some social/politeness skills were not acquired, or arrogance not checked. I would be so pissed off in your shoes.
"Yo, I'm BLIND" *wildly swings cane around*
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #9603 on: July 20, 2017, 06:37:52 PM »
I think he meant they're also blind, but not really doing what blind people should do.

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9604 on: July 20, 2017, 07:07:39 PM »
I think he meant partially blind people who can see just enough to not have been properly taught how to use a cane and hence end up bumping into people from staring intently at their feet. But blindness is a question of degree, so you can be legally blind and still "see", which I guess leads to all these educational mishaps.
Still though, if you're partially blind and bump into a fully blind person who was standing there, how you react is a question of manners.
I'm not advocating that Ultament swing his cane in virtuous wrath but...  ;D
Plenty of sports have been adapted to the blind... what about cane fighting?! I'm half torn between thinking it'd be a unworkable and half picturing a daredevil showdown. Regular cane fighting is very beautiful and extremely straining physically, with absolutely crazy low leg moves.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 10:11:07 PM by Nora »
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #9605 on: July 20, 2017, 07:57:32 PM »
Ok, got it.

And cane fighting? Oop oop ;D

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #9606 on: July 20, 2017, 11:53:20 PM »
There's classic blind cane fighting, which involves us swinging our canes at each other at a low height, mainly just making sure they clash. Some of them really hurt when they hit you.

I say it's the fault of the education system because of this. If you can see enough to read large print, schools from an early age decide that you won't learn braille. They also decide you don't need a cane, since you can see well enough to read large print, which has nothing to do with travel. And the parents don't know any better. and why should they have to? These are experts after all. People with degrees on teaching their child. So they just go along with it.

But it's wrong. So then, when a guy bumps into me because he can't see me, he won't blame himself. Because he can see well enough in his mind, so it's not his fault. Granted, he should apologize regardless, but still. It's hard to admit that he ran into me because of his lack of sight. Also, most students don't want to learn how to use a cane later on in life, even if they know deep down that they need it. Why? Because it makes them more like me. And people with my level of blindness are a tragedy right? I'm sure most of you don't think that, but a good portion of society does. So when they're going through school, it sets them apart. In middle school, students with canes get bullied. "Hit me with it! Come on! I'm right here!" Or the cane is stolen and now it's a game of Keep Away. Which makes them feel isolated. Which in some cases leads to depression.

So I blame the school system. I blame the people who decide a student shouldn't learn braille, even though his eyes hurt after reading for a long time, or they have their nose literally pressed to the page. I blame the people who don't provide orientation and mobility instructors because it's too expensive. And I blame the teachers who don't start ingraining these techniques into a student from the very beginning. Which is why I'm going into the field. for every instructor that does their job right, and for every school system that provides the proper tools, more blind people get to live the lives they want.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #9607 on: July 21, 2017, 09:33:13 PM »
^ hear hear!

Tomorrow I'm having a mortgage meeting. I hope all goes well :D

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #9608 on: July 22, 2017, 03:06:12 PM »
I got it :D
Second stage: find a house ;D

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #9609 on: July 22, 2017, 04:05:06 PM »

woo hoo!  congratulations!

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #9610 on: July 22, 2017, 04:08:00 PM »

Thought you said horse!
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9611 on: July 22, 2017, 04:12:18 PM »
>crawls out from a pile of sheep, machinery and paperwork<

I'm back! Been a hectic month of farming, but I've mad it out alive (for now).

>My tbr pile is now 44 books high.
>I am now on my 100th book of the year.
>I never want to see a sheep again.

How are things with you?

Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #9612 on: July 22, 2017, 04:31:26 PM »

wow!

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #9613 on: July 22, 2017, 04:38:00 PM »
>crawls out from a pile of sheep, machinery and paperwork<

I'm back! Been a hectic month of farming, but I've mad it out alive (for now).

>My tbr pile is now 44 books high.
>I never want to see a sheep again.

How are things with you?
I have to ask. What were you doing with sheep? Or do we want to know?

Offline Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #9614 on: July 22, 2017, 04:38:39 PM »
Teaching it to read fantasy books obviously!