July 06, 2020, 01:46:23 AM

Author Topic: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)  (Read 1157670 times)

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
Re: The King's Paws (with one holding a Mr Whippy with a 99 flake.)
« Reply #6375 on: June 30, 2016, 09:30:34 PM »
I would like to see the person who tries to take my cookie dough away:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/06/30/fda-no-more-raw-cookie-dough-ever/86544332/

Worthy way to die I say. We all have to go anyway. 8)

Offline Nighteyes

• DON'T send me Leopard Erotica!
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6376 on: June 30, 2016, 09:31:50 PM »
Wow, I'm far too used to uk prices...
I think £10 for a trip of over an hour in London is quite cheap (I pay around £13 return when I go to Manchester by train, and it's a 35 min trip).
Helsinki's public transport is in the top 10 most expensive in the world, but here you can get from one side of the city to the other for 5€. And those tickets include all public transport (bus, tram, train, underground), with as many changes or stops as you want to make before the ticket expires (which IIRC takes 1.5-2 hours). I expected London to be a little more expensive of course, but more than double the price for a far inferior and more restrictive service is crazy!  :P
Well, but in your case you're not travelling within London, you're coming from 27 miles away. That's a regional trip, quite more expensive than within the city.
I think the daily cap for travelling inside London, central, zones 1-2 (which is probably the size of Helsinki hehe) is £6.50.
Myeah I guess, I always think of Gatwick as within London, since it's kinda meant to be.  ;D

No, it's in West Sussex. Closer to Brighton than London I think.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #6377 on: June 30, 2016, 09:32:02 PM »
Myeah I guess, I always think of Gatwick as within London, since it's kinda meant to be.  ;D
Never fly to 'London Luton', then: that's about 40 miles away ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Hedin

« Reply #6378 on: June 30, 2016, 10:47:12 PM »
Never fly to 'London Luton', then: that's about 40 miles away ;D

Oh man, the closest I've ever wanted to punch a co-worker was due to the Luton airport.   We were working in Harlow (NE of London)  and we had a flight out of Heathrow to Frankfurt (Stansted was closer but don't they had flights that worked).  My co-worker put the airport into the GPS and we headed off to enjoy Friday afternoon rush hour traffic on the M25.  Eventually we get off that onto another highway and we're driving for a bit and I start seeing signs for the Luton airport.   I didn't recall other airport near Heathrow so I pulled off at the exit and looked at the map on the GPS and realized that my cco-worker put the wrong airport in.   We turned around, got back on the M25,  and somehow made it to Heathrow just in time (boarding was halfway done when we got to the gate).

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6379 on: July 01, 2016, 12:27:12 AM »
Tomorrow Australia votes after what we call double dissolution, meaning House of Reps and Senate both. As we have proportional representation some places will have enormous ballot papers. I'll add link later. Unlike US we have shorter lead up but still found an eight week campaign long, arduous and almost as vitriolic.
BUT  there is a wonderful reward in sight - Democracy Sausages Ta Da.
Every Election Day fundraisers put on sausage sizzles at many polling stations, also cake stalls and raffle tickets for hampers. Often the queues are long so it keeps voters happy for a while and as many schools are polling stations the P&C put on great munchies.
If you are on Twitter check out #democracysausage and you'll get the idea, with map links to polling stations with best food, comps for best gourmet sausages and friendly spruiking to get most customers. People will drive further to get a democracy sausage if their local area doesn't provide.
It all makes for a bit of community unity on general hard day.  :D :D Highly recommended for elections everywhere.
@Elfy and @cupiscent, hope you've got a good sizzle happening and tempting cakes in your area, my local school even adds a plant stall sometimes. ;D
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #6380 on: July 01, 2016, 01:52:27 AM »
Last federal election, we couldn't find anywhere convenient in our electorate offering democracy sausage - very disappointed! So to compromise, we went to a polling place that was near a Bunnings (for foreigners: Bunnings is a chain of hardware stores that always have charity sausage sizzles happening outside on weekends). When I rocked up to the voting desk still scoffing the last of my sausage-and-onion, the woman behind the desk pointed at me accusingly: "WHERE DID YOU GET THAT?!" Turned out she'd volunteered assuming there would be democracy sausage, and she was feeling pretty betrayed.

I've found this election campaign unexpectedly hilarious. We live in previously-safe!Liberal Higgins (Kelly O'Dwyer), but as the campaign went on, we were bombarded with Liberal and increasingly hysterical anti-Green propaganda. The cherry on top was getting a letter from the Green candidate this week going, "Oh, hey, Higgins is looking really close!" I laughed so hard. (Part of my amusement comes from the fact that the last year we lived in the CBD was when that seat turned Green. I got Melbourne, I'll get Higgins too. Mwahaha.)

Offline Lady Ty

• Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #6381 on: July 01, 2016, 02:52:16 AM »
@cupiscent I just checked my suburb on below link with the search and the school showed up with a little sausage a cake and a tick.  Better check out your nearest polling places for what they all have to offer and choose the best;D

http://www.democracysausage.org/

If you look at the legend they are going to keep it up all day tomorrow and even tell you when they run out. Cool. Definitely a "Good Onya', Oz". :D

ETA Hope things go your way  ;)

« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 02:58:40 AM by Lady_Ty »
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #6382 on: July 01, 2016, 02:58:33 AM »
@cupiscent I just checked my suburb on below link with the search and the school showed up with a little sausage a cake and a tick.  Better check out your nearest polling places for what they all have to offer and choose the best;D

ALAS, both of my nearest polling places are marked as "unknown". Might wait and see whether further information arises on the day.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #6383 on: July 01, 2016, 04:33:47 AM »
Only in Australia ;D

(and you just made me very hungry!)

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #6384 on: July 01, 2016, 05:41:21 AM »
Only in Australia ;D

Well at least there don't hand out waffles and chicken!
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Lejays17

« Reply #6385 on: July 01, 2016, 05:52:54 AM »

ALAS, both of my nearest polling places are marked as "unknown". Might wait and see whether further information arises on the day.

Our local has Democracy Sausages & Cakes!  Very exciting.

My BFF's kid's school is having a plant table - they have a total of 4 students and about 50 people in the town, so it's not really efficient to have the sizzzle going all day.
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables you to be wrong with authority." The Doctor - Wheel in Space

"It's not destiny!  It's a crazy scientist with a giant snake!" Sinbad - For Whom the Egg Shatters

Offline Lady Ty

• Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #6386 on: July 01, 2016, 06:00:42 AM »
Only in Australia ;D

That's a good result. ;D

BTW discovered difference between your favourite dessert Flan and Creme caramel or even Caramel custard, the more usual names in Oz or UK. Portuguese often use dulce de leche, we use mix of milk and cream. Both use lots of eggs and taste gorgeous. Also we more often make in small individual pots rather than one big one. If you check in  Waitrose or M&S  you may find decent small ready made ones if you look for Creme Caramel.

Eclipse, Australians would love that as well, food seldom gets left over here.  We just had the dreaded Heston here, though and sometimes he goes a OTT.  Got Masterchef contestants making savoury ice cream on a cold Melbourne beach for hundreds of people. Including Vegemite ice cream and of course bacon. :o

So hilariously funny. Adults trying to be hipster, pretending they enjoyed them, a quick shot of kids disappointed and  saying it was yucky. The camera never went back to the kids after that.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #6387 on: July 01, 2016, 08:43:46 AM »
Ooooh I can't wait for that series to be shown here in the UK, Masterchef Australia is the only one I like :D :D

And, erm, you misunderstood me: Flan is @Saraband's favourite, but not mine; I'm not that keen on caramel hehe

And the 'making me hungry' isn't such a good thing when I'm reading at 4am ;)

Offline Hedin

« Reply #6388 on: July 01, 2016, 01:11:19 PM »
People will drive further to get a democracy sausage if their local area doesn't provide.

This is very weird to me because I can only vote in one polling center.  What system do you use so someone doesn't show up at one polling place and then go to another?  Also, how do you handle local elections if you can go to other polling places?

Offline Lady Ty

• Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #6389 on: July 01, 2016, 01:48:01 PM »
Ooooh I can't wait for that series to be shown here in the UK, Masterchef Australia is the only one I like :D :D

And, erm, you misunderstood me: Flan is @Saraband's favourite, but not mine; I'm not that keen on caramel hehe

And the 'making me hungry' isn't such a good thing when I'm reading at 4am ;)
Sorry ScarletBea, thought it would be cheering. Never mind Saraband may find some good dessert, but he's probably very happy with Scottish baking anyway.  ;)

Have to warn you Masterchef this year is not as good as last year, except for Marco Pierre White and Nigella. But we've only just got to the last ten so maybe it will improve.

People will drive further to get a democracy sausage if their local area doesn't provide.

This is very weird to me because I can only vote in one polling center.  What system do you use so someone doesn't show up at one polling place and then go to another?  Also, how do you handle local elections if you can go to other polling places?

To be honest I can't answer that, being a fundamentally pure and honest angel it never occurred to me. :P   
You can only vote within your own actual electorate so you will only be registered in that electorate. Small ones in country will only have one polling station in large area. In city there are sometimes a couple in each of the  suburbs that makes up the electorate. Local and Federal elections work in exactly the same way. They do always ask you if you've voted elsewhere.

Some electorates may get a ballot paper like this, in which case I doubt you would be bothered voting more than once. ???

This is because we have proportional representation. I couldn't explain properly, although I like the system, but  if you want details they are here.
http://australianpolitics.com/voting/proportional-representation

Believe multiple voting has been done, but not often and if caught there would be penalty. We are checked off against the electoral rolls when we go in and I assume they now do an electronic check.  I will enquire tomorrow if I get the chance.

Last time they lost boxes of votes in WA and had to search for them and do massive recounts. Hours of fun. ;D ;D
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 02:07:07 PM by Lady_Ty »