December 10, 2019, 06:23:43 PM

Author Topic: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)  (Read 1047518 times)

Offline Hedin

Re: The King's Paws
« Reply #5220 on: April 07, 2016, 02:53:01 AM »
That's the thing. I don't feel like it would be "half-baked" or anything. That's where the whole "you can't rush art" excuse comes in. How can you rush something that you're not even creating?
For example, he just finished working on a fun house. That's right, a fun house. He bought a bowling alley sometime a couple of years ago, and vwa lah. Plus he's got his movie theater. And his rants about the hugos. And his... Other nonsense. I can't even remember all the things he does there's so many.

I used to get really worked up about Martin.   I still lurk in a detractor community just to keep up on the lack of nothing.   Now I find myself hardly caring at all.   The show will be my canon for the story and given how I feel about the last two books I'm perfectly OK with that.   Martin served me greatly as a fantasy gateway, I read the first three books a few months before Feast came out and started my dive into the genre where I have found plenty of series and authors who produce work constantly and that I like better.

Online Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #5221 on: April 07, 2016, 06:13:28 AM »
At least you've made those deadlines. And if you haven't you just shrugged and moved on to the next one. You're doing better than Martin.
I actually just posted on reddit about this. I can't defend him anymore. Art can't be rushed? You have to be working on it to begin with. He just needs to come out and say, "Guys, this book may never be finished." Stop giving everyone false hope.
The most important thing you should learn from this post? I'm being sucked in by reddit! There's just sooo much on it! Help me!

Think how much Beanjamin Franklin got done in his life without TV, radio or... Reddit. You have so many other things you can spend your time on. Like reading comic books, watching movies, playing games... and fantasy-faction. Think how much you could accomplish!  :o

He was poorer man for not knowing the lovely people here think how greater he could have been if he told goat stories!
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #5222 on: April 07, 2016, 09:05:43 AM »
I used to get really worked up about Martin.   I still lurk in a detractor community just to keep up on the lack of nothing.   Now I find myself hardly caring at all.   The show will be my canon for the story and given how I feel about the last two books I'm perfectly OK with that.   Martin served me greatly as a fantasy gateway, I read the first three books a few months before Feast came out and started my dive into the genre where I have found plenty of series and authors who produce work constantly and that I like better.
I think I'm like this too. I don't care anymore.
I read the first 4 all in a row, after a friend recommended them, and it was my start to deep dive into fantasy. I didn't like book 5 that much anyway... Now I know many more better authors.

Also, it's funny how in the Writers' Corner the main piece of advice is "just write, then fix", "if you don't write, nothing will come out, you need to start", and so on, and then there are people out there with the "art can't be rushed" argument. Pffff :P Martin is a writer like any other, he's not excused from actually writing.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #5223 on: April 07, 2016, 01:57:20 PM »
Chilly! That girlfriend keeping you busy?

Class doesn't help either...
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5224 on: April 07, 2016, 02:26:41 PM »
I think I'm like this too. I don't care anymore.
I read the first 4 all in a row, after a friend recommended them, and it was my start to deep dive into fantasy. I didn't like book 5 that much anyway... Now I know many more better authors.

Also, it's funny how in the Writers' Corner the main piece of advice is "just write, then fix", "if you don't write, nothing will come out, you need to start", and so on, and then there are people out there with the "art can't be rushed" argument. Pffff :P Martin is a writer like any other, he's not excused from actually writing.

Yes well, on GRRM's defence, writing one of his books is a monstrous piece of work. He's got so many characters, with such different voices and sub plots... He puts even The Way Of Kings to shame, easily.
Of course we should all write, but he will eventually produce hundreds of thousands of words that will be a great read. To write with this quality, these many words, while he self edits as well, I'd need ten years per book, if I could do it at all... No, really, I've made my peace with him, just like Rothfuss. If it's what they take to produce, who am I to complain? Not everyone writes like Sanderson.
Besides Martin has way more pressure now since the show came out to be a huge hit. I don't envy his position. The winds of winter will be cut to pieces and examined in great detail.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Peat

« Reply #5225 on: April 07, 2016, 03:44:32 PM »
Besides Martin has way more pressure now since the show came out to be a huge hit. I don't envy his position. The winds of winter will be cut to pieces and examined in great detail.

On the one hand, I completely agree.

On the other, he didn't have to agree to a TV show and the extra pressure it was bound to create. And I say that in the full knowledge that I'd have agreed to a TV show in his shoes too - it was still his choice to end up there.

I'm roughly where Hedin is. I've got my emotion out of the way and Martin lost my interest with the last one. Good luck to him, maybe he'll write something I want to read in time.

---

Also, having scrolled back to see this was about deadlines...

I did everything the night before in Uni - the worst being three separate essays - until I reached my Dissertations. Where I did 75pc of them the night before. I wish I had the discipline to be better about that, the only essay I didn't do that with got a Distinction during my Masters.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #5226 on: April 07, 2016, 04:55:18 PM »
One semester, I received an incomplete grade.
So I spent all of January holed up in my room writing a paper about Henrik Ibsen's later plays and making the (specious) argument that they were just as good as his mature masterpieces.

And then another semester....
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5227 on: April 08, 2016, 01:15:46 AM »
Whew!

Saw Dany Bhoy last night... Any of you uses the Photosynth app on their phone? I could show you the inside of Hamer Hall.
I liked his show a lot. A couple of jokes ran a bit too long, but time flew by, really. Scottish accent is just so beautiful, I could listen to the man talk the whole night long.

Melbourne city ...

"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Online Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #5228 on: April 08, 2016, 10:34:42 AM »
Just been called uncle Paul!
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #5229 on: April 08, 2016, 10:49:44 AM »
Just been called uncle Paul!
Awwww that's such an amazing feeling, isn't it?
So nice for you!!!
I always melt when my eldest niece goes "Auntie Bea!" - I can't wait until the youngest starts saying it too, hehe
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #5230 on: April 10, 2016, 12:12:41 AM »
What I just found in a box of memorabilia my wife pulled up from the basement:

The Fantasy world map I drew in high school and been wondering where it went.
The first stories I wrote for that world. (I hesitate to read them  :o )
My poems from college poetry writing class.
My play (a fantasy, of course) that I wrote for playwriting class.
A poem called "The One Million Names for God" (a sort of fantasy.. Of course)  that I thought was long lost.
A journal where I made one entry... When mrs. Jmack told me were going to have our first baby.

Get which one is the most precious.  ;D
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Peat

« Reply #5231 on: April 10, 2016, 12:49:57 AM »

A poem called "The One Million Names for God" (a sort of fantasy.. Of course)  that I thought was long lost.
A journal where I made one entry... When mrs. Jmack told me were going to have our first baby.

This is clearly a trick question and the answer is really the map  ;)

Offline Rostum

« Reply #5232 on: April 10, 2016, 12:54:17 AM »

your wife ofc

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5233 on: April 10, 2016, 07:08:39 AM »

Cardboard box. You were looking for a new fancy hat to wear and this will do great.  :)

Offline SugoiMe

« Reply #5234 on: April 11, 2016, 03:10:50 AM »
Unearthed some old poems that go back as far as high school.  Some of them are actually pretty good (in my mind anyway).  I faintly remember participating in poetry contests on another forum, too, and found a couple poems for that.  I wish going over my old prose was this exciting.
"And then the time came when the risk it took to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anais Nin