October 20, 2019, 07:23:33 AM

Author Topic: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)  (Read 1012092 times)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
Re: The King's Paws
« Reply #4770 on: March 07, 2016, 09:09:10 PM »
From my limited time in Europe I did not notice as many people drinking pop/soda as much as they do here which definitely has an effect.  Smokers also typically have some teeth issues, not sure how the smoking rates compare though.
Oh yeah, someone once told me to not google "Mountain Dew teeth"...

And don't even get going on crystal meth teeth. [shudders]
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4771 on: March 07, 2016, 10:55:04 PM »
Haha. Well, thanks to socialized dentistry, as a French, I got to afford a dentist when I had a bad tooth. Social security is such a human basic to me that I struggle to understand how the average murican can rationalize arguments against it.

Anyway, France has excellent dentists and bad dentists, like everywhere, but we have great medicine overall.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #4772 on: March 08, 2016, 01:23:56 AM »
Mostly keep track of reports. I spend most of my day in excel.
Yay :D
Welcome to the club - lovely, right? better than people/meetings :P
I have mad respect for you both. As of now, I can't imagine myself doing a desk job unless I absolutely have to. I can't imagine wading through paperwork all day, and excel scares the hell out of me. No, I need a job where I'm moving around, talking to people, or at least being creative in some way.

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #4773 on: March 08, 2016, 01:38:22 AM »
Mostly keep track of reports. I spend most of my day in excel.
Yay :D
Welcome to the club - lovely, right? better than people/meetings :P

I spend a lot of time in Excel, a really whole lot. And recently I've been learning a market research survey platform. I can totally geek out in analysis, formulas, databass, yada yada.

But, I've got to have another whole lot of people time. I love well-run meetings, and I love collaborating, brainstorming, etc.

@ultamentkiller, these things can go along together, creative interactive analytical heads-down.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Hedin

« Reply #4774 on: March 08, 2016, 02:26:06 AM »
I actually like data work and wish I had more data related stuff to do at work (both for personal enjoyment and to broaden my skills a bit).   I don't really enjoy collaborative work as much, I prefer solo projects whenever I have a choice.

I even enjoy doing Excel stuff at home.   I just started working on my fantasy baseball spreadsheets for this year and will spend several hours working in Excel to set everything up.

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #4775 on: March 08, 2016, 02:55:16 AM »
I actually like data work and wish I had more data related stuff to do at work (both for personal enjoyment and to broaden my skills a bit).   I don't really enjoy collaborative work as much, I prefer solo projects whenever I have a choice.

I even enjoy doing Excel stuff at home.   I just started working on my fantasy baseball spreadsheets for this year and will spend several hours working in Excel to set everything up.

You wouldnt happen to know how to set up an XML map for importing data into Excel would you? I cant figure the rules out. [realizes this is not an Excel forum. Shrugs.]
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4776 on: March 08, 2016, 04:15:48 AM »
Thanks guys... feling slightly better today.

But what about you, Nora? Are you ok? We haven't heard tales of bad things happening for about 3 days now, does it mean that you're actually having *whispers* normal event-free days?
 ;D
*fingers crossed*

The last few days have had no dramatic incidents but I'm not doing well per se. I'm struggling with sleep since my place is all over again over ridden in fleas. Professional help would be 80$ each, while a home made flea bombing of the entire place would be 25$ each, so I told my flatmates that it's either we chose one of those, or I find myself a new flat. They agreed to the cheap version (which might very well not work over a week).

I'm stressed about my future, having an overwhelming array of choices, and one big fat phobia twisting my choices. I'm exhausted because I have no place to rest. I'm constantly paranoid about the smallest sensation against my skin when at home, and I spend the majority of my time sitting up, with fat socks over the bottoms of my jeans even though it's 35ºc. It's driving me nuts.

The situation is like this :

Spoiler for Hiden:
- 3 years ago, I moved to NZ on a working holiday visa of 1 year, in hopes of getting a work sponsorship if I liked the country. I did like it, worse, loved it. However, work didn't turn out well, I would have needed more time, or more qualifications.

- Moved to OZ after that, for no reason other than me having no place to go (understand that I have no house to go back to. I sold or gave all my belongings that I could not carry when I left France. Where my bags are, my home is), and Melbourne being near a famous rock climbing place I wanted to live in.
Besides the few months I spent living in a tent climbing every day, my 6/7 first months in Oz had me more and more depressed, all the way down to near suicidal thoughts last year, when besides being over worked without being paid, my 'slave driver' had me completely sleep deprived by penning her dogs next to my shed. 
When I moved back to Melbourne things got better, I had joined FF around that time too.

- Now I've spent a whole year in Melbourne, doing the occasional climbing trip in Arapiles or Grampians, but most of my friends left the country now, and my time is running out. My visa expires the 11th of August.
As things stand, I'm underpaid, working full time, plagued by fleas and struggling to save up cash for my next country.

- That's where all the stress piles up :
  • I have a huge phobia of planes
  • I need to move to a country where I can legally work
  • I have near on zero valuable qualifications

- I applied for a 2 years working holiday visa to Canada, but the pool system and its limited number for French people means that I didn't get any replies yet (so pretty much not going to happen this year).

- I passed an expensive health check up to be able to go at sea. I considered the option of leaving Australia by boat.
However, it's problematic. If I want to be hired on a yacht or even a cargo, I need my STCW, which is a test and training about survival and fire fighting at sea. These are not currently held in Melbourne, since not enough people are willing to pass it. So besides needing to go interstate, it costs around a 1000$! Half my savings!
It'd be worth it if I got a job on a yacht (where pay is easily 4k a month), but if I end up not managing to get a job, then I spent the price of a plane ticket back to europe on useless training.
I could pay to be a simple passenger on a cargo, but it's about 100$/day. Which is fine since it's lodging, food and transport all included, but cargo take time, and only some routes are set, and few passenger cabins are ever available.

- Thinking about adventure, I brushed the idea of finding a cargo to Asia, where I could make my way to Bangkok, meet with my mother there in July (she'll be in since they're building a house there), then go on my way by taking the Trans-siberian. All the way across Europe, until I reached Moscow, at which stage I could get a layman train to northern Europe. This, however, would cost me every last penny I own, and land me in countries where I know no one, have no guarantee of work, ect. Of course, I could call ahead and arrange rooms in a backpacker against work, and get in touch with local dumpster divers. I've been homeless before, I can do it again. But being truly poor comes with a certain level of stress I'm not especially looking forward to.
The problem is that Europe is deep ass in crisis, and jobs will never fall on me like they did in Nz or Oz. Even though I now have three solid years of experience in hospitality and speaking impeccable english.

- I've also considered looking for a job in Iceland. I find the country appealing and foreign. I could be a nanny or a farm hand. Again, getting there is a monetary or phobic nightmare. Mind you, I can't take buses anywhere in the world as I travel alone, and I'm a petite and bosomy woman. Not an amazing combo, safety-wise.
So Iceland is like... 'yeah, if I end up in england or ireland, maybe I'll catch a boat to up there one day'

- More seriously, I'd like to go to Japan, despite my serious concerns about Fukushima pollution.
For this I can either go all the way back to Paris and ask a working holiday visa (free, but only delivered if asked in person, and requires me to have 4k euros in my bank account LOL), before somehow getting to Japan, or, and I'm putting all my hopes on this, I can get hired and sponsored from Australia.
The 17th this month I'll go to a seminar held by a teaching company called Gaba. They hire native speakers to teach english in Japan. So I'm going to attend and get to an interview after that. I'm going to lie through my teeth about being bilingual for having had a british step mom from age 5 to 12, and offer to teach both french and english if they want.
If they hire me and sponsor me, I'd spend a few more months saving in Oz and swallow my fear long enough to fly straight up to Japan.

- Another related option would be for me to fly to Japan on a 3 months holiday visa and look for similar french/english teaching jobs on the spot, or any job that would sponsor me.
Of course it means less fun in the country, but it's not like I haven't been spending the last year working full time right?

- If I wanted to rest my weary bones and see some family, I'd need to find my way to Reunion Island, where my mother lives. That's off the coast of Madagascar. From Australia it'd mean about 5 days on the road to bus/train from Melbourne to Perth (2 730km, aka 1,474miles) which is MORE than Paris to Moscow by 300km.
Then 8 hours of plane to land in Mauritus, then 12h of boat to get to Reunion island overnight, and then I'm stuck in the middle of the Indian ocean.  :-\
All this to live in one of the department with the highest unemployment rates of France, dayum!

- One of my friends always bothers me saying I ought to 'go back home and study', in order to get a visa abroad more easily. He forgets that while Uni is 'free', living in Paris or another large city is not, and I'd need to work 35h a week in order to afford an 8 sq/m a whole hour outside of Paris. Or these where the numbers 5 years ago, no doubt it's worth now.

In conclusion, all I wanted was to move away from my country and would have been happy living in NZ. Now my views changed a bit. I'm more open to travelling more, and eventually settling somewhere else, but by the end my visa runs out, I'll have few great choices, a lot of harder options, and some I definitely don't want to consider.
Going back to France for any longer than mere visa procedures is out of the question for example.
That's how I am. Taking one little option at a time, not really keen for anything in particular, stressed out of my mind at the idea of taking a plane, yet tired of this country.
I want some solidity. I want to live somewhere without an ultimatum like a gun at my temple.
I want to be able to hoard natural dyes and pots to dye my own wools, I want to buy a sewing machine and mannequin again and keep making corsets and other garments. I want to work a garden and actually be around to eat the produce... Simple stuff that is denied when you're on a temporary visa. I know I came on those, so I shouldn't complain, but ultimately it's not what I wanted.

I realise some people would give their right arm to be able to make such lofty and carefree choices, but to me they're all life defining, and sometimes even life threatening. They're not easy to make, I'm not fit to travel, I have all I possess in the world in my bags, not just a pair of jeans and a cheap camera to tour the world. So here goes. By April I ought to have make a decision or else I'll be in serious troubles.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 04:31:07 AM by Nora »
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #4777 on: March 08, 2016, 04:24:13 AM »
I'm facing a dilemma I think you guys might be able to help with.
I'm on the road to being sick. Really, really sick. It started yesterday with a sore throat that I thought would go away, then it progressed to a slight cough, and now my lungs feel stopped up and I have a nose starting to run. Also, my hearing is fading because my head is so full of stuff.
I know the source of this. There's a lot of stuff going around the area I live. Normally I have a strong immune system, but when I get stressed it goes down. And with the struggles I've been facing in math, the student seminar I was in charge of last week, a huge Chorus evaluation we had today, and a big leadership conference I've been invited to Wednesday through Sunday(which means missing even more math and taking four tests tomorrow), my immune system has plummeted. I'm very good at avoiding stress if at all possible, and suck at dealing with it.
So here's my problem. I don't know how this infection will progress over the next few days. As I mentioned above I have this conference I've been invited to, which is a rare opportunity for me. I don't know if I'll get another chance to go. But with all the school I'll be missing, plus me feeling awful which the plane ride will only make worse(I don't do well with the air pressure thing), I'm starting to think it's a good idea just to stay at home this week. It's just a tough decision, and I don't know what to do.
Also, sorry if I'm bothering you guys with my problems right now. I'm only asking because I'm to the point where things are looking bleak, and I don't know how to move forward. I figure advice from a diverse group of people will push me over the fence.
And right when I hit post, I just saw your post Nora. Sounds like a lot of much, much harder decisions to face, but great adventures ahead regardless.

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4778 on: March 08, 2016, 04:30:29 AM »
Ultamentkiller, you've gotta weight it out. Is the conference worth getting worse and missing classes? It's good to be invited, but is it material that you could find online? Such seminars are often recorded and put on youtube, and I can guarantee you can access some classes people paid whole grands to attend just for free.
Also if your situation grows worse, you might be pinned in bed with high fevers, no? Better be at home then than in a hotel somewhere.
I'd be in favour of staying home and playing it cool, not only because of the risk of making everyone around you sick, but also because you've got that pressure of your maths. One thing at a time, and education ought to be a priority. Life is hard enough nowadays with a degree, better passing it rather than risking it.
You'll get other opportunities another time. Take care of your health, you've got just the one.

Offline SugoiMe

« Reply #4779 on: March 08, 2016, 06:27:05 AM »
@ultamentkiller - It sounds like you'd be better off missing that conference.  It sucks, but no matter how rare the opportunity is, there'll be other similar opportunities down the road.  You've got to take care of your health and academics first and foremost.  Sometimes you just can't do everything.  But like I said, that doesn't mean other opportunities won't come up in the future.  You've got your whole life ahead of you.

@Nora

Spoiler for Hiden:
I have so much I wanna say to you, but I think I'll just stick with this:  hang in there!  True, you have a lot of options and big life decisions to make.  Transition isn't easy.  I've gone through hula hoops and this year I had to re-evaluate (yet again!), make goals and formulate a plan  (with a backup B and C plan just in case).  One thing my dad told me that's always helped is making a list of the pros and cons of each option.  That helps put the ideas into perspective and you'll be able to weed out the things that just aren't feasible. Once you've gotten it down to three ideas or so, prioritize them as your A, B and C.  From what I gather, and this is just my opinion, your best options are working in France, contracting with a teaching organization in Japan, or doing something that requires being bilingual in Canada.  It may look a bit different to you.  Don't worry about the travelling/planes/your phobia at the moment.  Just look at your options and write it down to put it into perspective.

Anyway, there's so much more I want to say, but I'll just leave it at that.  Just know that you've got a whole lot of people all around the world meeting on this forum regularly who are cheering you on.  So never give up.  Ever.
"And then the time came when the risk it took to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anais Nin

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4780 on: March 08, 2016, 07:46:26 AM »
Ah well, thanks Sugoime but don't worry, giving up isn't an option on the list. Canada isn't either. They haven't offered me a visa in the pools this year.

Online Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4781 on: March 08, 2016, 08:40:32 AM »
To both @Nora and @ultamentkiller
Stay strong guys

To Nora.
If living and working in japan is your goal you'll probably be best off getting back to Europe. You can handle the immigration paperwork better and there are jobs here to help you save up (despite the general image we have of unemployment it's not that bad) and you can use your work abroad and being bilingual as an asset to get a job. Degrees aren't everything.

Concerning the fleas you really did the right thing. Given your current financial situation a specialist is pretty much off the chart. That to treat a place you know you'll be leaving on relative short notice using a flea bomb is the best thing I think.

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4782 on: March 08, 2016, 09:23:06 AM »
Yeah you're right, I hope the bombs work longer once I treat the entire place in one shot...

However, trust me, it is not in my best interest to come back to Europe. I'm in Australia now. Where a waitress is paid 19/20$ the hour. With my pay I afford a 12sq/m room in a house with backyard in a quiet inner suburb 20min tram away from the cbd, 30min to the beach! 
In Paris my housing situation would be nightmarish if not impossible, an unemployment is a real issue. Waiters are paid minimum wage. 13€/h. Which pays you nothing inside Paris, simple as that.
Last time I looked for a job in other towns it took me 5 months to find a kitchen position in macdonalds. In Nz and Oz I've never taken more than a week to find a job, while being picky. Coming back to Europe would also cost me an arm and a leg. Which is why I'm so wary and opposed to it. I worked hard to get AWAY from France. The goal isn't to go back running.

Online Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4783 on: March 08, 2016, 09:29:17 AM »
Yeah you're right, I hope the bombs work longer once I treat the entire place in one shot...

However, trust me, it is not in my best interest to come back to Europe. I'm in Australia now. Where a waitress is paid 19/20$ the hour. With my pay I afford a 12sq/m room in a house with backyard in a quiet inner suburb 20min tram away from the cbd, 30min to the beach! 
In Paris my housing situation would be nightmarish if not impossible, an unemployment is a real issue. Waiters are paid minimum wage. 13€/h. Which pays you nothing inside Paris, simple as that.
Last time I looked for a job in other towns it took me 5 months to find a kitchen position in macdonalds. In Nz and Oz I've never taken more than a week to find a job, while being picky. Coming back to Europe would also cost me an arm and a leg. Which is why I'm so wary and opposed to it. I worked hard to get AWAY from France. The goal isn't to go back running.

Then don't go to France I guess? There are other countries here with French as their first or second language.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #4784 on: March 08, 2016, 09:35:42 AM »
I don't have much to add, except my unwavering support *hugs*
One step at a time, and I'm a big fan of lists and writing things down, as SugoiMe suggested.

Just one item for you to think about: does returning to France for a while means living in Paris or another big city? I bet there are small towns all around France where the cost of living is much lower and where it might be easy to get a job in hospitality. Even places with good universities, if that's the way you end up choosing.

I see the same mistake in England, where everyone who wants to move here says they want to go to London, which is crazy for prices, housing, jobs and everything else, while there are small towns all around the country that still need people working in shops, in bars, restaurants, etc.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams