October 19, 2019, 09:02:14 PM

Author Topic: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)  (Read 1012026 times)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: The King's Paws
« Reply #4590 on: February 23, 2016, 01:57:17 PM »
m working from home today as I had stuff in the morning, and now I'm pottering around. I don't feel much like working, and the bed/sofa and my book are looking very tempting... but I can't do it, can I?

Not really after posting up on a public forum  ;D
I'm working, I'm working!!!!
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Online Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4591 on: February 23, 2016, 02:05:04 PM »
m working from home today as I had stuff in the morning, and now I'm pottering around. I don't feel much like working, and the bed/sofa and my book are looking very tempting... but I can't do it, can I?

Well... apparently you're not, you're here  ::) :P

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4592 on: February 23, 2016, 03:48:56 PM »
Recently my former flatmate left with her cat. Now some weeks later I nail-crushed to death three fleas... Found in my bed. Mind you they could be coming from the yard, since I already have a nocturnal slug infestation pouring through the wall.
I'm devastated. I was so pleased with myself putting my entire wardrobe through the laundry today, sheets included, and now it's 3am, I can't sleep because the smallest sensation I feel on my skin must be a flea. I found 3 potential bite marks though they never itched. I can hope beyond hope that it matches the three dead ones and stay at that but this is not how it works.
Gosh I'm so freaking disgusted. I don't have the money for that. Nor the time. Nor the strength. Bugs in your bed is worse than having to bed to make me feel like a bum. It's misery after misery these days!  :'(
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Rostum

« Reply #4593 on: February 23, 2016, 03:58:36 PM »
Sorry to read it Nora. Someone elses (cat) fleas in your room suggests the common areas of the property will be swarming  :(

I imagine Australian fleas are not like European ones and the bites are a couple of centimetres across, if you survive the poison they inject there is a still a good chance the bitten limb will rot on your body and drop off.
This would be in keeping with the English impression of Oz wildlife. poisioness, vicious and hard to kill or run away from.

Online Henry Dale

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4594 on: February 23, 2016, 04:39:09 PM »
Flea in Australia.

Rendition may be slightly exaggerated.
Consult an expert before believing me. Disclaimer disclaimer disclaimer.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 04:47:57 PM by Henry Dale »

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #4595 on: February 23, 2016, 04:45:42 PM »
PS, somehow unable to rescale. Someone help! :'(

Done  :) for future reference, you can set the height (or width) on an image tag. So it looks like this now

Code: [Select]
[img height=300]http://www.theandroidscloset.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/d11Il.jpg[/img]
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Online Henry Dale

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4596 on: February 23, 2016, 04:47:38 PM »

Done  :) for future reference, you can set the height (or width) on an image tag. So it looks like this now

[img height=300]http://www.theandroidscloset.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/d11Il.jpg[/img]

Cool, thanks  :)
Will save that somewhere (and probably forget about it   :-[)

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #4597 on: February 23, 2016, 04:49:15 PM »

Cool, thanks  :)
Will save that somewhere (and probably forget about it   :-[)

I will put it in the FAQ in the Help section. This is actually a really common thing people run into. Not sure if anyone will see it there, but can't hurt

Edit: Added it here along with a bit about embedding YouTube videos: http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/forum-help/fantasy-faction-forum-faq/msg133712/#msg133712
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 05:06:14 PM by Arry »
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4598 on: February 23, 2016, 04:49:55 PM »
Ah well. Opened my window and decided to be reasonable and go to sleep.
Was woken by the sound of a mosquito - of course - put the light on, found a flea on the top of my breast... So pissed off I took immediate action. Here is the result :

Yep. Set up my hammock in the yard. I'm hanging my ass 5cm off the ground because the poles I set it up on are flimsy as hell. But now the mosquitoes are furiously buzzing on the other side of my screen. It's quiet and warm... I'm just a bit sorry to go to bed at 4am with a pocket knife in my PJ and the feeling that my room I'm paying such a big rent on is now a no go zone.

Good day everyone, while I catch a couple of hours of sleep.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #4599 on: February 23, 2016, 06:15:09 PM »
*blink*  *blink*

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #4600 on: February 23, 2016, 06:26:26 PM »

Well... apparently you're not, you're here  ::) :P
It was just for a minute ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
The King's Paws
« Reply #4601 on: February 23, 2016, 07:46:25 PM »
Nora, if the fleas are from a cat, then they can't digest human blood and will die sooner or later or move out to find another animal.

Best trick against fleas is a small candle on a plate full of oil. The fleas jump towards the warmth/light and die in the oil. Do this for 24h in your room and you are rid of them.

We had a flea infestation once when our cats were home alone for a few weeks when I was a child. When we came back from vacation you couldn't walk through the hallway without being attacked by four or five if them.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Rostum

« Reply #4602 on: February 23, 2016, 09:22:40 PM »
Best trick against fleas is a small candle on a plate full of oil. The fleas jump towards the warmth/light and die in the oil. Do this for 24h in your room and you are rid of them.

This is really old. There are Oxfordware (Green glaze on almost pink clay) shallow dishes about 90cm across with a candle holder in the middle. These would be 500-600 years old. I think there is one shown in a Dutch painting as well which might be older. You fill the dish with water and light the candle when you have enough fleas swimming round you put a drop of oil on the water, it breaks the surface tension and they sink.

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4603 on: February 24, 2016, 12:19:02 AM »
Whoa, dunno how I'm gonna survive the day, my mind is melting.

But Xiagan, the internet seems pretty adamant that cat fleas can survive somehow :

Humans can be bitten, though a long-term population of cat fleas cannot be sustained and infest people. However, if the female flea is allowed to feed for 12 consecutive hours on a human, it can lay viable eggs.[2]

I tried the candle trick, but I only have bday candles who were done in 10 min and attracted no flea. So I'll get some natural powder and make my room a disagreeable area for fleas and cross fingers.

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4604 on: February 24, 2016, 01:29:59 AM »
@Nora, get M****** Flea Bombs* from somewhere like Bunnings . Arrange to stay somewhere else overnight.  Get enough one for each room. Set them off ,seal the rooms as you go and do last in hallway. Then leave and stay away for about 24 hours if you can. This is best chance without having the professionals which will cost you about $150.

It will leave a powder layer to clean up and a smell but open up and air house well and clean and it should work. Check the instructions. I had to use these long ago and it may say it is safe but would not risk staying with my kids until air had settled and house aaired. Hope this helps.

* :o :o :oThat brought up an advert for them on front page - sorry Admins, if I shouldn't have included the name.
Nora the best known brand for killing insects in Australia starting with mort  If that Temp adsense was an experiment it sure worked fast their are 3 flea killing ads there now.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 01:53:48 AM by Lady_Ty »
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic