October 17, 2019, 07:43:03 PM

Author Topic: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)  (Read 1011265 times)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
Re: The King's Paws
« Reply #1890 on: September 18, 2015, 11:33:21 AM »
Yep, on a goat farm, can you believe it?
One of these days, I'll get his permission to post here one of his journal entries life as an organic farm and animal husbandry worker.

@Lady_Ty, when I posted my note last night I almost wrote: "I'll need to right a horror story starring my son." But that would be way wierd on so many levels.  :(
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #1891 on: September 18, 2015, 11:52:13 AM »
So, there's a small river not far from where I live (about 30km - go figure that out, 'mericans  ;) ), which has gone viral in chinese social media recently. All because of this photo, and the creature that it resembles - I think one @Lady_Ty might enjoy this!

It's called Ribeira de Odeleite, and is on the eastern side of the Algarve.

https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #1892 on: September 18, 2015, 12:59:02 PM »
@Saraband, that's fabulous.
What does the river's name mean?
I assume Ribeira de Odeleite is "River of..." something.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #1893 on: September 18, 2015, 01:09:45 PM »
@Saraband, that's fabulous.
What does the river's name mean?
I assume Ribeira de Odeleite is "River of..." something.

It would be more accurate to say that Ribeira is actually a stream (am I right, @ScarletBea ?), and Odeleite is just the name of the small town nearby. Now, as with most cases of toponomy in southern Portugal (and Spain), Odeleite is actually believed to be derived from the Arabic: Wadi layt, meaning 'River of the eloquent'  :)
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline night_wrtr

« Reply #1894 on: September 18, 2015, 01:43:07 PM »

What kind of goats? I have a Nigerian Dwarf that has the amazing ability to climb things that should be impossible to climb.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #1895 on: September 18, 2015, 02:01:16 PM »
Odeleite is actually believed to be derived from the Arabic: Wadi layt, meaning 'River of the eloquent'  :)

a good place for Writers then.

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #1896 on: September 18, 2015, 02:36:08 PM »

What kind of goats? I have a Nigerian Dwarf that has the amazing ability to climb things that should be impossible to climb.

Yes, Nigerian pygmy goats. The farm produces champion goats. My son works full time as asst farm manager on an organic veggie farm 20 miles away, but he does chores at the goat farm in exchange for lodging (such as it is).
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Hedin

« Reply #1897 on: September 18, 2015, 02:55:18 PM »

...My son works full time as asst farm manager on an organic veggie farm...

For someone who hates vegetables that would likely be one of the worst jobs I could ever have.

Offline night_wrtr

« Reply #1898 on: September 18, 2015, 03:02:32 PM »

For someone who hates vegetables that would likely be one of the worst jobs I could ever have.

Hate? Even zucchini?  :o

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #1899 on: September 18, 2015, 03:31:16 PM »

Asparagus?! Please? The ambrosia of vegetables?
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #1900 on: September 18, 2015, 03:44:38 PM »

How about... a delicious stir fry full of yummy veggies...no?

Offline Hedin

« Reply #1901 on: September 18, 2015, 04:05:28 PM »

Other than potatoes and corn (which technically aren't vegetables) asparagus is the only other one I can handle.  Ironically my wife is/was a vegetarian.  She was a full blown one when we started dating but then shortly after she started having seafood.  At the beginning this year she said she would be willing to try chicken again (but only free range) as we wanted to have more family meals and previously we both just cooked our own thing. The catch is whenever she has chicken I have to have whatever vegetable she made with the meal.  Asparagus is the only one I really like (brussel sprouts are tolerable depending on how they are prepared), everything else has been just as disgusting as it has always been.

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: September 18, 2015, 04:08:56 PM »

Other than potatoes and corn (which technically aren't vegetables) asparagus is the only other one I can handle.  Ironically my wife is/was a vegetarian.  She was a full blown one when we started dating but then shortly after she started having seafood.  At the beginning this year she said she would be willing to try chicken again (but only free range) as we wanted to have more family meals and previously we both just cooked our own thing. The catch is whenever she has chicken I have to have whatever vegetable she made with the meal.  Asparagus is the only one I really like (brussel sprouts are tolerable depending on how they are prepared), everything else has been just as disgusting as it has always been.
The way you describe your diet makes it sound like you literally just eat plates of boiled meat and nothing else. No bread? No seasoning? No anything? Sounds horrendous to me, and I spent years wanting to eat just bread and butter or kitkats when I was a kid.  :o
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Hedin

« Reply #1903 on: September 18, 2015, 04:25:05 PM »

The way you describe your diet makes it sound like you literally just eat plates of boiled meat and nothing else. No bread? No seasoning? No anything? Sounds horrendous to me, and I spent years wanting to eat just bread and butter or kitkats when I was a kid.  :o

I'm a very meat and potatoes person.  Really most of my meals consist of some sort of meat (most of the time its chicken or seafood, I don't cook a lot of beef or pork) and then some sort of starch (potatoes or pasta or rice).  Pizza is also really good.

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: September 18, 2015, 04:29:19 PM »
You are not alone, I hate most vegetables too!
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate