January 27, 2020, 09:56:49 PM

Author Topic: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)  (Read 1078447 times)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
Re: The King's Paws
« Reply #1380 on: August 02, 2015, 12:52:43 AM »
Yeah, vegemite and marmite are not the same thing. We tried marmite in the UK last year, no comparison for us, vegemite has it beaten hands down. It is an acquired taste, though. Americans often try to spread too much on and use it like peanut butter and honestly if you put it on like that it would taste vile, it has a sharp, salty taste to it, it's actually a yeast extract. Hugh Jackman did a spot on one of the US tonight shows and showed the host exactly how to properly spread vegemite on toast, and once instructed by an expert, the host agreed that it wasn't too bad at all.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: August 02, 2015, 01:26:26 AM »
Thank you for Vegemite support Elfy. All you say is quite true, too much is horrible, just a smear is perfect.  In Canberra vegemite toast used to be on coffee shop menus in the morning, very useful if I had missed breakfast.
Most sandwich shops will have it available if you want to add it to sandwiches, although I do agree, while I love both, don't think Avo and vegemite is a good combination. :)

“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #1382 on: August 02, 2015, 02:32:17 AM »
Thank you for Vegemite support Elfy. All you say is quite true, too much is horrible, just a smear is perfect.  In Canberra vegemite toast used to be on coffee shop menus in the morning, very useful if I had missed breakfast.
Most sandwich shops will have it available if you want to add it to sandwiches, although I do agree, while I love both, don't think Avo and vegemite is a good combination. :)
Don't they have it on the Canberra coffee shop menus anymore? You can still get it in Melbourne at plenty of places. I generally prefer a cheese or ham and cheese toastie, but we can get vegemite on toast if we want it.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Hedin

« Reply #1383 on: August 02, 2015, 03:06:36 AM »
Yeah, vegemite and marmite are not the same thing. We tried marmite in the UK last year, no comparison for us, vegemite has it beaten hands down. It is an acquired taste, though. Americans often try to spread too much on and use it like peanut butter and honestly if you put it on like that it would taste vile, it has a sharp, salty taste to it, it's actually a yeast extract. Hugh Jackman did a spot on one of the US tonight shows and showed the host exactly how to properly spread vegemite on toast, and once instructed by an expert, the host agreed that it wasn't too bad at all.

"Wasn't too bad at all", that is one ringing endorsement.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1384 on: August 02, 2015, 05:20:29 AM »
You lot never cease to amaze!
In a good or a bad way?
Or just a 'totally crazy' way?
 ;D

Never heard of grape tomatoes. But how much smaller can plum tomatoes actually get?
Well, considering the difference between the size of a plum and a grape, quite smaller ;)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Online xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: August 02, 2015, 07:45:19 AM »

"Wasn't too bad at all", that is one ringing endorsement.
That's what I thought too. He probably added that it tastes "interesting". ;)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline TigerBright

« Reply #1386 on: August 02, 2015, 10:30:47 AM »
In a good or a bad way?
 ;D

Never heard of grape tomatoes. But how much smaller can plum tomatoes actually get?
Well, considering the difference between the size of a plum and a grape, quite smaller ;)

Ha! Fair point. Plum tomatoes are more the size and shape of grapes though, they're not much like a plum at all. So are we talking cranberry size or what?

I like those flat nectarines/peaches. They were great for my toddler when she was a baby, easy to hold/bite.

Describing something as "a bit Marmite" is a colloquialism over here in the UK for something being divisive. People seem to either really love it or hate it, you don't find many people who say it's just ok. So I should have known better than to bring it up really! People will defend their Marm/Vegemite to the death.

I'm married to a marmite lover. He likes it on cheese on toast. And he likes Branston Pickle and Worcestershire sauce too. He's a wrong'un. :p

I don't think vegemite is available over here but if I ever do get the opportunity I might give a tiny bit on toast a try.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1387 on: August 02, 2015, 10:40:02 AM »
Plum tomatoes are more the size and shape of grapes though, they're not much like a plum at all. So are we talking cranberry size or what?
eh? The plum tomatoes I see in Sainsbury's are the size of real plums, just a bit more oval-shaped instead of round.
Anyway, maybe what do I know? I only buy 'normal' tomatoes (and sometimes cherry) ;D

I don't think I've ever been brave enough to try Marmite... I'm definitely not going to buy some, only to throw it away uneaten hehe (hate waste ;) )
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline TigerBright

The King's Paws
« Reply #1388 on: August 02, 2015, 10:53:07 AM »
Maybe I've been eating grape tomatoes all along! :-\

I bloody love tomatoes, I sometimes eat the big ones like apples. ;D

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: August 02, 2015, 10:56:24 AM »
Plum tomatoes are more the size and shape of grapes though, they're not much like a plum at all. So are we talking cranberry size or what?
eh? The plum tomatoes I see in Sainsbury's are the size of real plums, just a bit more oval-shaped instead of round.
Anyway, maybe what do I know? I only buy 'normal' tomatoes (and sometimes cherry) ;D
Maybe I've been eating grape tomatoes all along! :-\
Well at least in Finland I have never heard of grape tomatoes and the plum tomatoes go from (real) plum-sized to nearly grape-sized.  :-\
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Offline TigerBright

The King's Paws
« Reply #1390 on: August 02, 2015, 10:57:47 AM »
Solved the mystery by looking in the fridge. What I've been eating are called BABY plum tomatoes! So they'll be the same thing as grape ones.

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: August 02, 2015, 12:49:20 PM »
Enough talk about tomatoes.  >:(

I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Hedin

« Reply #1392 on: August 02, 2015, 05:55:47 PM »
Enough talk about tomatoes.  >:(

No way.   Wouldn't the stem of the bottle break right there?

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: August 02, 2015, 06:06:32 PM »
Apparently not! The chances of it hitting in exactly the right place must be miniscule though.  ;D
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #1394 on: August 02, 2015, 10:04:36 PM »
Quote from: Rostum on August 01, 2015, 11:02:55 PM

In a good or a bad way?
 ;D

Quote from: TigerBright on August 01, 2015, 10:41:36 PM

In an amazing way ofc not many fantasy sites would be riddling tomatoes.

Champagne bottles (or even fizzy plonk ones) have to be really tough to cope with the pressure so I will half believe the gif. If the wire is off the cork and thats what it hit there is no reason for it to break. but the film looks dodgy just before impact. It's exactly how you want to throw a knife though, bit he is holding is what hits the target.

I don't think I've ever been brave enough to try Marmite... I'm definitely not going to buy some, only to throw it away uneaten hehe (hate waste ;) )

Marmite is largely yeast extract it is a byproduct of brewing. There is a bacteria that can live on diesil oil. It can't live on marmite and you will never see mould on marmite although the taste changes when it is a few years old. The most eco friendly thing you can do with it is eat it. When dumped in the sea in large amounts it kills everything and takes years to break down. Oh it is illegal to sell in Denmark as the salt content is too high.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 10:27:32 PM by Rostum »