September 16, 2019, 01:32:41 AM

Author Topic: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)  (Read 992737 times)

Offline DireWolfSnow

Re: The King's Paws
« Reply #4635 on: February 26, 2016, 09:09:04 AM »
And so...the oil and gas industry crisis finally hits home and the redundancies, I have been told, are officially coming to my office. Here was me hoping to make some extra cash before heading off to uni in September. 

Fingers crossed.  :-\

Good luck to you! I hope this goes well (or at least as well as can be expected).

I understand all about this, my company is/was performing very poorly financially and started cutting jobs, mine included. Hence why I'm on F/F at 03:00.

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #4636 on: February 26, 2016, 09:22:30 AM »
*Fingers crossed*
But won't they have to pay you a redundancy pack if they eliminate your job? How long have you been working there?

Yeah I'd get redundancy pay, but it would be nowhere near the amount I could make between now and the end of July, as it looks like these will come into effect at the end of March more than likely.

And so...the oil and gas industry crisis finally hits home and the redundancies, I have been told, are officially coming to my office. Here was me hoping to make some extra cash before heading off to uni in September. 

Fingers crossed.  :-\

Good luck to you! I hope this goes well (or at least as well as can be expected).

I understand all about this, my company is/was performing very poorly financially and started cutting jobs, mine included. Hence why I'm on F/F at 03:00.

Ah, sorry to hear that!  :(
Make Another World.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #4637 on: February 26, 2016, 09:39:24 AM »
Sorry to hear it. Saudi overproduction to stick it to the Russians maintain market share doesnt look good for the North sea fields. They started cutting jobs about the time I started looking for work and there are a lot of fluid engineering firms locally. Holland and Norway are also suffering. If Scotland had voted for independence based on a $146 a barrel no one would be getting paid at the moment.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #4638 on: February 26, 2016, 10:14:23 AM »
Sorry to all who lost/are losing their jobs - I think I can count myself lucky :-\
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #4639 on: February 26, 2016, 11:19:14 AM »
I was lucky that when I was laid off at the end of 2013, I found something in a short time.
But I'm 55, and my new company isn't exactly ringing the bell.
Plus Mrs. JMack retired early from teaching.
So, lucky I'm still working, but I share the constant fear.

Pour a round on me, folks.
Tip your elbow.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #4640 on: February 26, 2016, 02:33:34 PM »
Better late than never :D
I'm working on all the others from 2015, but I don't think they like publishing a bunch of them in a row, so slowly but surely they will appear (only 9 stories left, I've done one - weekend work!)

Hey Bea, whenever you get to mine (The Translator), ping me? There were one or two small typos I wanted to iron out before it goes up on a popular page, which I can send you in line notes.

Unless preserving the typos is part of the charm, in which case, more power to us! :)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #4641 on: February 26, 2016, 04:05:08 PM »
Better late than never :D
I'm working on all the others from 2015, but I don't think they like publishing a bunch of them in a row, so slowly but surely they will appear (only 9 stories left, I've done one - weekend work!)

Hey Bea, whenever you get to mine (The Translator), ping me? There were one or two small typos I wanted to iron out before it goes up on a popular page, which I can send you in line notes.

Unless preserving the typos is part of the charm, in which case, more power to us! :)

Feel free to send it to me already - I'll just copy it straight from your PM, instead of from the submission thread :)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline DireWolfSnow

« Reply #4642 on: February 26, 2016, 04:37:10 PM »
For me, there was very little keeping me at that company. They were growing increasingly desperate to meet sales figures and I was told to basically lie to a customer in order to close a bigger sale.

This did not go over well with me and my lack of cooperation is probably what led to my job being cut.

I'm certain I will find something better, given time.

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4643 on: February 26, 2016, 10:39:23 PM »
So many here on the forum who have lost jobs lately. Really sorry and good luck in job search. Update us w news good or bad when it helps and you want to share.
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #4644 on: February 26, 2016, 10:45:06 PM »
So many here on the forum who have lost jobs lately. Really sorry and good luck in job search. Update us w news good or bad when it helps and you want to share.

erg.  ditto.

i've been really busy lately and apparently have missed all this job madness going on.  indeed, keep us posted.

oh, and i've a bottle of strong, brown liquor to share if the keeper doesn't mind.  glasses all around!

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4645 on: February 27, 2016, 01:00:05 PM »
Oh Mein GOTT!! Everything has been going Wrong as soon as they start looking right, these days!!
Had my first naginata class and really loved it, had a massive ramen then went home to nap since I was expecting a big night at work, it being Saturday... It was crazy busy since I had the section upstairs by myself, but I was refreshed and happy, looking forward to come home to tell y'all about turning into a mighty warrior and all... And then I swung a chair down from a table, and slammed my hand against another table, effctively catching one of my fingers between and table and a hard place... Hurt like hell, it bruised around the nail and swell. Can't believe the rotten luck I've been trailing since Christmas.  :o :(
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #4646 on: February 27, 2016, 01:21:43 PM »
Oh Mein GOTT!! Everything has been going Wrong as soon as they start looking right, these days!!
Had my first naginata class and really loved it, had a massive ramen then went home to nap since I was expecting a big night at work, it being Saturday... It was crazy busy since I had the section upstairs by myself, but I was refreshed and happy, looking forward to come home to tell y'all about turning into a mighty warrior and all... And then I swung a chair down from a table, and slammed my hand against another table, effctively catching one of my fingers between and table and a hard place... Hurt like hell, it bruised around the nail and swell. Can't believe the rotten luck I've been trailing since Christmas.  :o :(

This?
Spoiler for Hiden:
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4647 on: February 27, 2016, 02:50:00 PM »
You can keep on dreaming Jmack  ;D

We did exactly this :

[youtube]BUkRC2EDvW8[/youtube]

But with only three basic cuts, and two blocks, also not that synchronised, and not that good anyway!

It was awesome. I can't wait to practice more. The first thing that is bothersome, and both unexpected but unsurprising is your own lack of natural coordination.
You know you're supposed to stand straight and have your body facing one way and your head another.
But next thing you know you're doing a tea pot handle with your butt and your shoulders are facing forward.
Or you realise you let your naginata drift, or you're holding it too high.
You have to constantly double check yourself to become aware again of your positioning and correct it.

Other things that were disconcerting but turned out well are the yelling and the footwork.

The yelling is necessary to earn points in duel. It avoids lucky strikes. You have to yell 'men' when hitting the head, 'sune' when hitting the shins, ect.
It's also meant to let out your fighting spirit. I enjoyed doing it, pointedly loud when others forgot about it. Turned out another guy, a chubby japanese young man, and I are the two most enthusiastic yellers and strikers.  ;D

The footwork seems obvious but that's a thing that's not that emphasized to non-practitioners of any sport.
People training are always depicted striking at a post for days and days, refining their aim and force and strikes, but actually the Naginata becomes completely unwieldy if you don't more your feet properly.
A lot of our work this morning was done repeating strikes while going forward, simply moving forward and backwards or 'slow-mo' mock duel in teams.

Weirdly enough given that it's a women's sport in Japan, I'm the only woman in our beginner course. All others are young men, one a young teen, and I doubt any of the others is past 20 tops.
Another much weirder thing is that the sensei apparently left to return to japan 8 years ago, so the naginata class is actually sensei-less! It's led by two of the senior students.

Anyway I enjoyed myself, it was great to see the weapon slowly become something manageable even for a small set of awkward strikes. Getting complimented on getting into a perfect posture was also very rewarding and heart warming, somehow. I'll get pictures and movies done for the classes, but also the kendo class and Iaido classes.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4648 on: February 27, 2016, 03:32:57 PM »
And then I swung a chair down from a table, and slammed my hand against another table, effctively catching one of my fingers between and table and a hard place... Hurt like hell, it bruised around the nail and swell.
Ouch! Hope it isn't broken.

Can't believe the rotten luck I've been trailing since Christmas.
Surely it can't go on like that for forever. Just keep on keeping your chin up.  :)

Oh, and glad to hear you enjoyed the naginata class.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 03:35:25 PM by ArcaneArtsVelho »
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #4649 on: February 27, 2016, 07:58:55 PM »
One of my favourite bands is touring Australia right now: @Nora, @Elfy, @Lady_Ty, @cupiscent.
The Decemberists

Folky, "nerd-rock". They've been described as: "Sort of like the D&D club decided to form a band and turned out to be... really good."

26-27 March: Bluesfest, Byron Bay
29 March: Hamer Hall, Melbourne
30 March: Opera House, Sydney

www.decemberists.com
www.starlit-lands.com