November 17, 2019, 08:30:24 AM

Author Topic: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)  (Read 1025878 times)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: The King's Paws
« Reply #4575 on: February 22, 2016, 06:24:55 PM »
So is the forum more popular than a couple of years ago?
Is it a healthier forum for having more varied content?

My thought is the segregation of topics works well and while there are sections I rarely venture into there is always something of interest to be found on the site.
Yes, yes, yes :)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Hedin

« Reply #4576 on: February 22, 2016, 06:56:34 PM »
Otherwise as far as I'm concerned this is a forum centered on writing.

I've definitely noticed this drift in purpose for the forum in the last year or two.
I'm doing my best to buck the trend ;D
<-- prolific poster who doesn't write

Readers unite! Who wants to write when you could be reading instead lol
;D

(Definitely noticed this trend as well )

Maybe because I don't really delve into the writing sections I haven't really noticed a change.  Without that I feel like there has been more book discussion in the past year than before.

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4577 on: February 23, 2016, 12:39:17 AM »
So loved how that instant graph popped  ;D

One excellent thing about this FF is that it is full of techie geniuses who keep the wheels oiled, pull relevant numbers from the ether into graphs, come up with Battle Brackets or send us our stories to keep in print. Not to mention hand out helpful advice when tech problems turn up. Here's looking at you @xiagan, @Arry @Raptori, @Hedin and @m3mnoch  ;D

“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Mr.J

• Anus Dracula formerly known as Arse Demon and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4578 on: February 23, 2016, 01:04:08 AM »
What on earth was that massive spike in August 2012? Were you guys escaping the olympics that much? :P

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #4579 on: February 23, 2016, 01:11:39 AM »
What on earth was that massive spike in August 2012? Were you guys escaping the olympics that much? :P

Long story, oft-repeated. I wasn't there but there was a huuuuuuuuge troll incident.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Hedin

« Reply #4580 on: February 23, 2016, 01:14:10 AM »

There were two big incidents in 2012 that I know of (I wasn't around at that time to have personal knowledge).   Sanderson came by the forum to discuss some of his going ons and then there was the Mathias incident (if I wasn't on mobile I would try to find the link).   I believe one of those things ended up being the most viewed thing on the forum but I believe bothof those happened in May 2012.  I have absolutely no idea what happened in August.

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #4581 on: February 23, 2016, 02:43:39 AM »

It was probably caused by Pirates

Spoiler for Hiden:
a writing group on the forum that started about that time. And we posted a lot. A whole lot.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #4582 on: February 23, 2016, 04:33:33 AM »

It was probably caused by Pirates

Spoiler for Hiden:
a writing group on the forum that started about that time. And we posted a lot. A whole lot.
Oh yes, we did, didn't we? I was fondly remembering the epic fluff thread just the other day.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
The King's Paws
« Reply #4583 on: February 23, 2016, 07:18:52 AM »
It wasn't only a writing group, it was the first RPG. You know how those can escalate. ;)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #4584 on: February 23, 2016, 08:53:46 AM »
August 2012 was nothing controversial ie trolls. It was a mixture of the first RPG and a core group of us who just posted a hell of a lot.
Make Another World.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4585 on: February 23, 2016, 09:39:00 AM »
August 2012 was nothing controversial ie trolls. It was a mixture of the first RPG and a core group of us who just posted a hell of a lot.
9 out of the Top 16 posters were involved.  A year back it would probably have been 8 out of 10, but you Newbies are gaining ground fast.  ;D

So loved how that instant graph popped  ;D

One excellent thing about this FF is that it is full of techie geniuses who keep the wheels oiled, pull relevant numbers from the ether into graphs, come up with Battle Brackets or send us our stories to keep in print. Not to mention hand out helpful advice when tech problems turn up. Here's looking at you @xiagan, @Arry @Raptori, @Hedin and @m3mnoch  ;D

Thanks, @Lady_Ty! :)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #4586 on: February 23, 2016, 12:49:18 PM »
Well, can't delete this now so...
I thought I hadn't seen ScarletBea post in 24 hours, and it was weird. Then as soon as I looked, she had just three minutes before I posted. Fail.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 12:51:34 PM by ultamentkiller »

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #4587 on: February 23, 2016, 12:53:47 PM »
Well, can't delete this now so...
I thought I hadn't seen ScarletBea post in 24 hours, and it was weird. Then as soon as I looked, she had just three minutes before I posted. Fail.
Thanks for worrying :)

I'm working from home today as I had stuff in the morning, and now I'm pottering around. I don't feel much like working, and the bed/sofa and my book are looking very tempting... but I can't do it, can I?
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Rostum

« Reply #4588 on: February 23, 2016, 01:05:06 PM »
m working from home today as I had stuff in the morning, and now I'm pottering around. I don't feel much like working, and the bed/sofa and my book are looking very tempting... but I can't do it, can I?

Not really after posting up on a public forum  ;D

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #4589 on: February 23, 2016, 01:26:44 PM »
It wasn't only a writing group, it was the first RPG. You know how those can escalate. ;)

It was actually the RPG that spawned the Pirates writing group.  ;D

I meant it more as in the people who were Pirates (the core group who posted a hell of a lot during that time). I was going to just leave my comment blaming Pirates, but decided to add at least some explanation rather than excluding people who wouldn't know what I meant.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 02:01:13 PM by Arry »
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com