October 16, 2019, 01:50:41 PM

Author Topic: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)  (Read 1011118 times)

Offline Idlewilder

Re: The King's Paws
« Reply #4560 on: February 22, 2016, 10:35:02 AM »
But at the end of the day, I'm never actively looking out for other people's opinions or pov. As sometimes they're totally alien. Like people rubbing Sanderson in the dirt, hating on my favorite of his books : how could I relate? Why would I want to? People see different things in everything, no one reads the same book. I guess I'm really self centered deep down. Reading or viewing is a personal experience, and sometimes, someone else's point of view of that can alter my own view in undesirable ways.

Personally that's exactly the reason why I do like to engage myself in some sort of discourse about these things: if I went along completely unchallenged in my own opinions or beliefs I don't think I'd really grow much as a person. If I make a post or a blog about why I like 'x' author and someone with a bit of sense and consideration to their opposing views responds then I'd be happy to engage and maybe have my own views challenged, strengthened or even changed.

I don't really want to turn this into yet another Brandon Sanderson conversation, but just as an example, the recent conversation about his Dumbledore post a few years back might make someone question their opinions about the author and, perhaps, his books. Maybe not. But I don't see why the possibility of that's such a bad thing. If you want to remain completely severed from anything like that then that's fine too. It's just my personal opinion that finding a way to relate to those with opposing views to you in any walk of life, whether you agree with them or not, is part of what makes life so interesting.
Make Another World.

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #4561 on: February 22, 2016, 10:47:19 AM »
Like people rubbing Sanderson in the dirt, hating on my favorite of his books : how could I relate? Why would I want to?

I really hope that this isn't about my previous comments about him or the book I read. My comments weren't intended to come across in that manner.

I don't read any blog regularly, although I'll keep an eye on a few from time to time. I appreciate reading thoughtful opinions of people who make an effort to be informed, and I enjoy having my views questioned in entirely new ways. But I respect what they do very much, as it can be hard to express an opinion on the internet these days without inciting a heated response from one side or the other.
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4562 on: February 22, 2016, 10:52:27 AM »
But at the end of the day, I'm never actively looking out for other people's opinions or pov. As sometimes they're totally alien. Like people rubbing Sanderson in the dirt, hating on my favorite of his books : how could I relate? Why would I want to? People see different things in everything, no one reads the same book. I guess I'm really self centered deep down. Reading or viewing is a personal experience, and sometimes, someone else's point of view of that can alter my own view in undesirable ways.

Personally that's exactly the reason why I do like to engage myself in some sort of discourse about these things: if I went along completely unchallenged in my own opinions or beliefs I don't think I'd really grow much as a person. If I make a post or a blog about why I like 'x' author and someone with a bit of sense and consideration to their opposing views responds then I'd be happy to engage and maybe have my own views challenged, strengthened or even changed.

I don't really want to turn this into yet another Brandon Sanderson conversation, but just as an example, the recent conversation about his Dumbledore post a few years back might make someone question their opinions about the author and, perhaps, his books. Maybe not. But I don't see why the possibility of that's such a bad thing. If you want to remain completely severed from anything like that then that's fine too. It's just my personal opinion that finding a way to relate to those with opposing views to you in any walk of life, whether you agree with them or not, is part of what makes life so interesting.
This so much. That Sanderson conversation is a great example, and I for one am really glad that it happened because it introduced me to things I was unaware of that may affect my own choices in the future.
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4563 on: February 22, 2016, 11:05:39 AM »
Like people rubbing Sanderson in the dirt, hating on my favorite of his books : how could I relate? Why would I want to?

I really hope that this isn't about my previous comments about him or the book I read. My comments weren't intended to come across in that manner.

I don't read any blog regularly, although I'll keep an eye on a few from time to time. I appreciate reading thoughtful opinions of people who make an effort to be informed, and I enjoy having my views questioned in entirely new ways. But I respect what they do very much, as it can be hard to express an opinion on the internet these days without inciting a heated response from one side or the other.

What? No, no, of course not! xD
I meant the people -black sheep among us- who keep saying he's at the bottom of the genre, has no style and no emotion to his writing. How you feel about his opinions is a totally different class of ideas, and not one I can critic or challenge. The man is part of an obnoxious religious movement after all.

To me it's totally different - again.

Us discussing the personal views of an author is, again, a discussion. Not someone making a blog post about it and me digesting it on my own.
And when I mentioned blog posts, I meant the critic or review of books for their content. Commenting on an author is totally different imo. More in the realm of 'news' or 'fandom' and less 'critic/book club'.

if I went along completely unchallenged in my own opinions or beliefs I don't think I'd really grow much as a person

Haha. But that's why I participate here, or document myself thoroughly, or have interaction IRL... But I honestly don't believe that spending 2 or 3 hours researching what everyone else thought of book X by Author Y I just finished help in any concrete way to 'grow as a person'. Reading is already a way to confront yourself to different opinions and experiences.
Besides, again, as I said, I believe conversations with people is superior to reading what they drop on the internet in their personal blog. Then again, it's my opinion, I understand why you'd feel differently. To grow as a person and mature, I'd rather have life experiences, and the lives of characters. I honestly don't feel like my opinion needs to go through the high-school process of dissection and comparison to be validated or matured. It could help sometimes, I could miss themes or hints or whatnot, but if I couldn't see it upon reading it, then it wasn't the story intended for me.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 11:08:47 AM by Nora »
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4564 on: February 22, 2016, 12:18:24 PM »
I'm reminded of how I recently referred to a "faggot of wood." It's a perfectly correct (if outdated) use of the word, but a friend was hurt. He pointed out that queer people were burned at the stake once upon a time, and that this is where the use of the word "faggot" for gay people came from. Wow.

There is this part of me that sometimes finds it frustrating that we have to think frequently about what words we use, what jokes we tell. The flipside of that is a curdling in the stomach when you realize how many words and jokes are someone's expense.

Jmack you are not alone, this was re-printed on social media today and I agree it would be good to be able to reclaim the language but we never will. Faggots were also savoury meatballs where I grew up, we often had faggots and peas for supper. ;D

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/opinion/the-power-of-words/story-e6frezz0-1225918577701
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 12:50:16 PM by Lady_Ty »
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #4565 on: February 22, 2016, 01:04:13 PM »
I'm reminded of how I recently referred to a "faggot of wood." It's a perfectly correct (if outdated) use of the word, but a friend was hurt. He pointed out that queer people were burned at the stake once upon a time, and that this is where the use of the word "faggot" for gay people came from. Wow.

There is this part of me that sometimes finds it frustrating that we have to think frequently about what words we use, what jokes we tell. The flipside of that is a curdling in the stomach when you realize how many words and jokes are someone's expense.

Jmack you are not alone, this was re-printed on social media today and I agree it would be good to be able to reclaim the language but we never will. Faggots were also savoury meatballs where I grew up, we often had faggots and peas for supper. ;D

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/opinion/the-power-of-words/story-e6frezz0-1225918577701

Imagine my surprise the other day when I saw Pork Faggots being sold in a supermarket? ;D But nevermind me, I'm not one to be offended by words. I'm more scared of ideas and motivations and the resulting actions than insecure males trying to offend someone for their sexual orientation.
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline Lady Ty

• Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #4566 on: February 22, 2016, 01:07:20 PM »
Otherwise as far as I'm concerned this is a forum centered on writing.

I've definitely noticed this drift in purpose for the forum in the last year or two.
I'm doing my best to buck the trend ;D
<-- prolific poster who doesn't write

Readers unite! Who wants to write when you could be reading instead lol

I love that it is here for both, readers to chat about books and to encourage writers. I would never have even dreamed of trying a couple of stories if I hadn't been encouraged and knew I was among friends, and certainly never before gone potty in an RPG, (who saying you don't write Eclipse Hm? Leon??) but both have made me  happy, so yay FF.

ScarletBea you're not really bucking the writing trend, you are Xia's right hand to moderate the contests, you encourage people to enter, you nag people to get in on time and then keep us in suspense until you post the results. 
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #4567 on: February 22, 2016, 01:23:14 PM »
ScarletBea you're not really bucking the writing trend, you are Xia's right hand to moderate the contests, you encourage people to enter, you nag people to get in on time and then keep us in suspense until you post the results.
I'm not sure about the 'nag' ;) ;D
But I meant I don't really post much on the 'writing' questions... erm... actually... I seem to give out my opinion everywhere :-[ :D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Rostum

« Reply #4568 on: February 22, 2016, 01:28:50 PM »
Imagine my surprise the other day when I saw Pork Faggots being sold in a supermarket? ;D But nevermind me, I'm not one to be offended by words. I'm more scared of ideas and motivations and the resulting actions than insecure males trying to offend someone for their sexual orientation.

Yeah I feel that you should have been forewarned of that one. Faggot is not a common UK derogetory term to be fair more of an Americanism. In case you don't know they are balls of pork liver, heart, bacon (if you are lucky) and onions and herbs. Like Haggis A good faggot is great eating. The cheaper lower end ones are best avoided.

The reason faggot collector was originally a term of contempt, which the newspaper article barely touches on was this was work old women did who had nobody to provide for them and were a burden to the parish. You cannot make a living gathering and selling kindling and were considered little better than a begger.

Offline Lady Ty

• Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #4569 on: February 22, 2016, 01:34:28 PM »
I'm not sure about the 'nag' ;) ;D
But I meant I don't really post much on the 'writing' questions... erm... actually... I seem to give out my opinion everywhere :-[ :D

You know no offence meant - they need a gentle nudge, so take it that way ;D ;D

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #4570 on: February 22, 2016, 01:55:52 PM »
So when I posted in the currently reading thread, I hadn't seen this one. Oops?
This whole thing fascinates me though. Part of me can't stand reading other people's dislike for something I love. It's hard. But then the other part is morbidly fascinated, trying to figure out how exactly another human couldn't like these same books.
But that's the Internet. When you look up something you love and want to share the awesomeness, there will be a hundred voices crying out against it. And I'm totally guilty of this with different books. Like Twilight. Or Spirit Thief. Or His Dark Materials. Or any of the books I mentioned in books I couldn't finish.
Everyone has an opinion, and sharing the opinion is part of why we're all here. I'm glad we're mature enough to handle it without going crazy and hating the universe.

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #4571 on: February 22, 2016, 03:27:59 PM »
My time is too precious to be spent seeing/reading what people think of what I saw/read.

Don't you do that here though?  ???
Nah, here there's interaction. And it's almost like a bunch of friends chatting, instead of passively looking at strangers.

Depends on the blog. I actually tend to chat with other bloggers about my current books more than I chat about books here lately because they seem much more likely to be reading the same books as me. Part of that is probably because I tend to be reading new releases all the time. But anyway, I have found blogging can be quite social and not passive. But, I will also say my chats tend to stay on topic better than interactions here so it is a little different (still quite friendly and fun).

Otherwise as far as I'm concerned this is a forum centered on writing.

I've definitely noticed this drift in purpose for the forum in the last year or two.
I'm doing my best to buck the trend ;D
<-- prolific poster who doesn't write

Readers unite! Who wants to write when you could be reading instead lol
;D

(Definitely noticed this trend as well )
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #4572 on: February 22, 2016, 06:14:19 PM »
Every time I eat crumpets I think of Henry, and every time I hear 'dude' I think of m3m
(F-F interfering in real life)
 ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Rostum

« Reply #4573 on: February 22, 2016, 06:18:26 PM »
So is the forum more popular than a couple of years ago?
Is it a healthier forum for having more varied content?

My thought is the segregation of topics works well and while there are sections I rarely venture into there is always something of interest to be found on the site. Though I have been coming here for less than a year so I have nothing to compare it with.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 06:20:13 PM by Rostum »

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4574 on: February 22, 2016, 06:23:54 PM »
So is the forum more popular than a couple of years ago?
Is it a healthier forum for having more varied content?

My thought is the segregation of topics works well and while there are sections I rarely venture into there is always something of interest to be found here. Though I have been using the site for less than a year so I have nothing to compare it with.
There's a link to a stats page at the bottom of the forum index. A while back I made this graph based on the stats there, which shows the monthly posting statistics up until August 2015 (click to make it big):

Since then, every month has been over 3000 posts, which is over three times what the monthly activity was in 2014, so yeah the forum's doing well! :P
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.