April 08, 2020, 08:09:23 PM

Author Topic: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)  (Read 1109536 times)

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
Re: The King's Paws
« Reply #1965 on: September 20, 2015, 03:30:56 PM »
Operating systems are the worst though. I really dislike both windows and mac, but I'm tied to them becuase I need stuff like Photoshop.  >:(
I have never liked mac. Maybe I just haven't used it enough to get used to it.  :-\
I think windows 7 is ok, but I really dislike the direction Microsoft has taken with the newer versions.
And linux? Well, it has always seemed like too much of a hassle in this windows-centric world. (Mainly because I play games, and gaming hasn't been linux' forte. Though nowadays things have been getting better on that front, I suppose.)

As for Photoshop, there's always GIMP.  ;D ;D ;D
I had to use macs a lot while at college, and even though I got used to it it was still not quite as good as windows. And windows is awful, so that's saying something! Linux would be great if it could run everything like games and ps, and if it didn't take forever to learn how to customise it. Just not worth the effort really.

Pshh, Paint.net is better than GIMP.  :P
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #1966 on: September 20, 2015, 03:41:46 PM »
I had to use macs a lot while at college, and even though I got used to it it was still not quite as good as windows. And windows is awful, so that's saying something!

Really? I bought a Macbook Pro in 2010, and was a Mac user until very recently, when I acquired a new laptop. But damn, I really feel like the Mac OS is years ahead of Windows, it just feels incredibly polished.

I changed back to Windows, though, because gaming is a big part of me*, and I felt like I was missing a lot by only being able enjoy the few titles that were available for Mac OS, even if they have been increasing over the years. And because are incredibly overpriced. But I still think that Apple did a far better job, even if I'm no fanboy of theirs.

*I must say, however, that I've been thinking about this decision a lot. Because my productivity (in terms of writing) really went down after going back to Windows and getting access to all these computer games.  :(
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: September 20, 2015, 03:57:09 PM »
I had to use macs a lot while at college, and even though I got used to it it was still not quite as good as windows. And windows is awful, so that's saying something!

Really? I bought a Macbook Pro in 2010, and was a Mac user until very recently, when I acquired a new laptop. But damn, I really feel like the Mac OS is years ahead of Windows, it just feels incredibly polished.

I changed back to Windows, though, because gaming is a big part of me*, and I felt like I was missing a lot by only being able enjoy the few titles that were available for Mac OS, even if they have been increasing over the years. And because are incredibly overpriced. But I still think that Apple did a far better job, even if I'm no fanboy of theirs.

*I must say, however, that I've been thinking about this decision a lot. Because my productivity (in terms of writing) really went down after going back to Windows and getting access to all these computer games.  :(
Yup, using macs felt like sacrificing flexibility and software choice while gaining a slightly nicer superficial appearance. It's dead easy to customise windows to make it look good, so that's mac's one big advantage lost straight away. Plus they're so slow for the price you have to pay!

I've barely played any games for years now - I had literally hundreds of PS1 and PS2 games (once I sold a few dozen and got like £200 back for them!), but since then the prices have just got ridiculous. Plus I've never been interested in online gaming, especially the social aspects of it, and since that's what the game industry is pushing towards more and more these days I just don't feel like it's worth it... so instead I just play football games.  8)

Maybe a little success might motivate you to spend more time on it - after all, you can at least say you've made the first steps already!  ;)
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #1968 on: September 20, 2015, 04:08:42 PM »
I'm planning on buying a Mac, but running Windows Bootcamp on it. I don't really have a use for the Mac side of things. I just want the hardware. They're far more reliable than any windows laptop I've ever had. And, if my Windows crashes, it's easier to fix with Bootcamp.

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: September 20, 2015, 04:27:45 PM »
I'm planning on buying a Mac, but running Windows Bootcamp on it. I don't really have a use for the Mac side of things. I just want the hardware. They're far more reliable than any windows laptop I've ever had. And, if my Windows crashes, it's easier to fix with Bootcamp.
Could've sworn I remember reading that macs are no longer the most reliable statistically, and that two or three other manufacturers have overtaken them. Asus and Lenovo were two of them I think. It's all about how you manage it really, if you keep the system in good health then you shouldn't have any problems with it.  :P

Online xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
The King's Paws
« Reply #1970 on: September 20, 2015, 05:08:49 PM »
Very content Ubuntu user on dell laptop here.
Haven't used windows for five years and don't miss it at all.

I never felt like paying twice or thrice as much for the same specs,  so I haven't used a Mac. My brother has the same macbook for ten years now (only exchanged the hard disk for an ssd), though. So maybe they are more durable.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #1971 on: September 20, 2015, 05:46:52 PM »
Could've sworn I remember reading that macs are no longer the most reliable statistically, and that two or three other manufacturers have overtaken them. Asus and Lenovo were two of them I think. It's all about how you manage it really, if you keep the system in good health then you shouldn't have any problems with it.  :P

anecdotally, this feels right.  it feels like there's been a rash of build quality issues lately with mac hardware.

also, on the bootcamp thing, one of the funniest comments in my office the last few years was how a macbook pro was the best windows laptop on the market.  that being said, you'll probably need a windows keyboard to plug in.

me?  as one of those game developer guys, i built on windows for a decade or two. (wow - i'm really old)  but, in the last two or three years, i've made the switch to mac and i can't go back -- having a legit command line is too nice.  and, actually the whole industry is actually moving that direction.  all of the giant, old codebases are still windows only (i worked on one that required a ridiculous $18k windows pc -- and the binary still took an hour to build), but all of the new hotness seems to be coming out on mac first.

anyway...  not sure where i was going with all that, but i'm in the 'yay, macs!' camp.  they have all the niceties of a polished os AND an advanced, tweakable os.  it's amazing.

Very content Ubuntu user on dell laptop here.
Haven't used windows for five years and don't miss it at all.

I never felt like paying twice or thrice as much for the same specs,  so I haven't used a Mac. My brother has the same macbook for ten years now (only exchanged the hard disk for an ssd), though. So maybe they are more durable.

you might just want to try a $900 macbook air -- that's what originally ruined me for laptops.  (they've got a 14-day return policy, btw)  i will never own a non-mac laptop again.  i have one from 2011 that i always amaze my friends by bringing it to our lol lan parties.  they're like "wot?!?  how the hell does that run lol at 60fps?!?"

with that said, it takes 10 times longer to get anything done on windows because of the "what do you mean i have to click-file-click-mark-click-copy?" parts of the os.  it takes 10 times longer to get anything done on linux because of the "what do i need to fix today to make this damn thing work?" parts of the os.  and, i say that as a guy who has used linux since the early days of slackware and windows since 3.11.

Online xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
The King's Paws
« Reply #1972 on: September 20, 2015, 06:27:23 PM »
Ha, you may be surprised how user friendly Ubuntu nowadays is.
Linux isn't the big, complicated thing anymore (only of you want it to). I have a few computer noobs in my family that all run Ubuntu now because it's even easier to use than windows.

Online JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #1973 on: September 21, 2015, 12:29:33 AM »
What are you all drinking in this bar?! Something made up of silicon and software lingo?  :o
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #1974 on: September 21, 2015, 01:24:26 AM »
Ha, you may be surprised how user friendly Ubuntu nowadays is.
Linux isn't the big, complicated thing anymore (only of you want it to). I have a few computer noobs in my family that all run Ubuntu now because it's even easier to use than windows.

oh, no.  trust me.  i know.  it's not that i haven't run it since then.  that's how long i've been running it.  three of the four computers in my house run linux.  (the other is my macbook air)  my windows laptop really sits around in ubuntu on a dual boot.  my wife couldn't stop getting viruses, so i make her run linux now (it's actually the zorin distro) and my media server runs fedora.

no.  i know precisely how nice distributions like ubuntu and mint are.  they're beautiful and easy to use -- on the surface.  once you start doing things like getting music on your wife's ipod or wanting that second monitor to be in portrait mode or why doesn't my wacom tablet have pressure sensitivity anymore or any number of about a billion little things that have me digging through xserver or xorg configs trying to figure stuff out -- i HATE it.

everything "just works" on my mac.  and, i have a real command line with bash shells and everything.  it's lovely.

What are you all drinking in this bar?! Something made up of silicon and software lingo?  :o

duh, man!  we're doing boilermakers and just shouting gibberish!  ssh!  we might wget drunk and grep someone!

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: September 21, 2015, 01:27:23 AM »

Totally with you here,Jmack, but can't you  just feel a new story coming on...Heroine Pale Moon threatened by monster Gimps, but dramatically rescued by Rogue Linus from far off land of Ubuntu................ 
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Online JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #1976 on: September 21, 2015, 02:39:46 AM »
Change of subject.

My daughter Celia has picked up a new hobby: trapeeze!
She just posted a video to Facebook of her swinging by her knees and being picked off the trapeeze by another person grabbing her hands.

This was her second lesson. Says she's going back in a few weekends because it's just so much fun.
"The Trapeeze School of New York" at their Washington DC location.

Cannot imagine their insurance costs.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1977 on: September 21, 2015, 08:34:32 AM »
:o
eeeeeek! Scary!
What a daring girl
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Online xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: September 21, 2015, 09:03:56 AM »
Jmack only needs 64 more Likes to have a thousand likes!  :o

Let's try how long we can stretch those 64 likes.  ;D

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: September 21, 2015, 10:03:20 AM »
Celebrating because I wanted so badly to be Mistborn and had just made it for one whole  week on the old scale and then forum ranks changed. :(  Now I've made it again yaay.  My next favourite rank to aim for is Gentleman Bastard  so there's a long way to go.
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic