August 21, 2019, 12:35:51 PM

Author Topic: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)  (Read 977474 times)

Online Peat

Re: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)
« Reply #11625 on: April 24, 2019, 12:43:43 PM »
Ooooh I didn't think anybody knew them!

I'm not working today either :D
I finished painting the shed, and then I went walking, up to the local landmark around here: it's just under 4km each way, although going there is always up!
I now have a little blister, drats >:(

Edit: I forgot to say I saw baby lambs on the way, they were on the field of a local farm :-*

There's always been a decent Goth/Fantasy overlap in my experience - I think I first got into them because they were mentioned in various White Wolf forums.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #11626 on: April 24, 2019, 03:58:26 PM »
Hehe how old are you?
I only started running in my 40s (I'm 49), and never did more than 5k. It's for fitness and health only, but I like to track my times.

Your run location sounds fab!! Funnily enough, I always thought you were Brit ;D

You are not!!! I assumed you were about 10 years younger.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11627 on: April 24, 2019, 04:30:18 PM »
Hehe how old are you?
I only started running in my 40s (I'm 49), and never did more than 5k. It's for fitness and health only, but I like to track my times.

But it's true, (end of) this year is the big 5-0 :o
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Online Peat

« Reply #11628 on: April 24, 2019, 05:41:56 PM »
Hehe how old are you?

Your run location sounds fab!! Funnily enough, I always thought you were Brit ;D

Yeah, I thought at least 10 years younger than that too.

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #11629 on: April 25, 2019, 04:43:36 PM »
Well, it's the first day of summer, and in defiance of Icelandic tradition the weather is actually lovely over here.

Let's hear it for climate change! Hah hah hah... hah hah... hah...

Ahem.

Well, anyway, I cycled around town, stopped by at an ice cream parlour noted for decades for its unique secret recipe, then had a beer while sat in an outdoor sofa and jotting down story ideas.

And in a little over an hour I'm going to attend a ceremony where I MIGHT get a grant from the town to write a novella which I'd then donate to the local schools.

I can't remember if I've mentioned this before, but I applied a couple of months ago. Several local people apply for an artistic grant each year, but only one gets it.

Obviously this would be a huge thing for me if it does happen, but I've learned to hope in great moderation.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11630 on: April 25, 2019, 05:37:18 PM »
Well, it's the first day of summer,
Is Iceland in another world?? It's still April, firmly in Spring! Summer starts on 21 June...

And in a little over an hour I'm going to attend a ceremony where I MIGHT get a grant from the town to write a novella which I'd then donate to the local schools.
Good luck!!! :D

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #11631 on: April 25, 2019, 09:06:54 PM »
Officially today is recognised as the first day of summer in Iceland. I have no idea why, but its some very old custom.

Oh, and I didn't get that grant.

There were sixteen applicants, and logically I knew my odds weren't great. But the committee member I originally spoke to like my idea so much I got my hopes up.

I won't lie, this stings. It always stings.

I got my hopes up when I got a publishing deal in Iceland back in the day. Then I got my hopes up about self-publishing in  Iceland. Then I got my hopes up about self-publishing The Silent War on Amazon. Then I got my hopes up about self-publishing The Golden Throne on Amazon. Then I got my hopes up about that Roumania thing. Then I got my hopes up about seeking an agent for my new trilogy, and that is currently going nowhere. I'm starting that Wattpad project tomorrow, and I'm attaching some hope to all that.

I'm now vaguely considering some kind of Patreon/Kickstarter thing here at home to publish my Viking novella anyway, but I don't know.

Disappointment gets old. And I'm in a slump.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11632 on: April 26, 2019, 07:59:52 AM »
But you know, Eli, your ability to still get your hopes up after so many disappointments is a really good thing! I'm a firm believer that the amount and degree of disappointment a person has had in the past does NOT influence or direct any possible future chances (*)

And hey, @J.R. Darewood, you posted this on the contest section:
I'm leaving the country soon and gotta sell or store my car etc etc
:o
Where are you going? Did it finally happen? Are you moving to a calmer better life? :)

(*) except for me and relationships. There I'm a firm believer this is it, my life on my own, hehe - but I don't mind, it's also a choice

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #11633 on: April 26, 2019, 10:56:30 AM »
Eli--

Sorry to hear you're feeling discouraged but you are the most incredibly resilient and accomplished person I know on here!!!

But you know, Eli, your ability to still get your hopes up after so many disappointments is a really good thing! I'm a firm believer that the amount and degree of disappointment a person has had in the past does NOT influence or direct any possible future chances (*)

And hey, @J.R. Darewood, you posted this on the contest section:
I'm leaving the country soon and gotta sell or store my car etc etc
:o
Where are you going? Did it finally happen? Are you moving to a calmer better life? :)

Haha there's nothing calm about it. I have a short term job in South America starting ASAP, then I'm back to unemployment, but who knows, maybe I'll find a way to stay down there.  Meanwhile, the World Food Programme has moved an application of mine along to the exam phase, so another thing I need to do by May 1 is take a 2.5 hour online exam on monitoring and evaluation that I am totally unprepared for. If I get that it would be a 1-2 year deployment to somewhere where there's a crisis. I'm also applying for a writing grant (nonfiction, unfortunately, but hey, I gotta get a nonfiction book out soon too).  If all else fails I might spend a moment at a "writer's retreat" of my own making (aka unemployed staying at my grandmother's cabin in the woods for like a month-- wanna come?) and really focus on my novel.

So yeah pure chaos.

(*) except for me and relationships. There I'm a firm believer this is it, my life on my own, hehe - but I don't mind, it's also a choice

I feel you on that, and honestly I think it's healthy to be happily single forever. I've kind of romanticized the notion of dying alone and independent.*

(*)That said, I'm in a situation where I've been like "I really am not in a space where I want to date anyone" for over a year... as I sleep with the same person almost every night. So yeah, there's that. I negotiated mondays and tuesdays to myself, but I don't always get those either.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 10:58:02 AM by J.R. Darewood »

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #11634 on: April 26, 2019, 11:09:00 AM »
Eli--

Sorry to hear you're feeling discouraged but you are the most incredibly resilient and accomplished person I know on here!!!

That's kind of you, though I feel the "resilient" title ought to go to Bea, all things considered.

And since we're bringing up relationships: There are times when I find myself desiring readily available support and assurance. But I honestly don't think I can handle living in the same home as another human being. I can't come home tired and overstimulated and straight into more stimulus. Just the cats being insistently affectionate when I'm tired can drive me up the wall at times.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11635 on: April 26, 2019, 02:49:24 PM »
Haha there's nothing calm about it. I have a short term job in South America starting ASAP, then I'm back to unemployment, but who knows, maybe I'll find a way to stay down there.  Meanwhile, the World Food Programme has moved an application of mine along to the exam phase, so another thing I need to do by May 1 is take a 2.5 hour online exam on monitoring and evaluation that I am totally unprepared for. If I get that it would be a 1-2 year deployment to somewhere where there's a crisis. I'm also applying for a writing grant (nonfiction, unfortunately, but hey, I gotta get a nonfiction book out soon too).  If all else fails I might spend a moment at a "writer's retreat" of my own making (aka unemployed staying at my grandmother's cabin in the woods for like a month-- wanna come?) and really focus on my novel.

So yeah pure chaos.
I feel stressed just by reading this :o
Good luck!

And hehe, I feel we could have a separate relationships thread, giving each other (bad) advice ;D

Online Peat

« Reply #11636 on: April 26, 2019, 03:37:41 PM »

And hehe, I feel we could have a separate relationships thread, giving each other (bad) advice ;D

One of my favourite hobbies is giving people deliberately bad advice (but only people smart enough to recognise it and just laugh at it).

Anyway... some rocky times all round from the sounds of it. Here's hoping the rewards for keeping going aren't far away.

Also, re what Eli said... I remember someone on another forum who had a different house about a block away from her husband. That's always sounded really attractive to me in a lot of ways.

Offline Bender

« Reply #11637 on: April 27, 2019, 04:52:57 PM »
Planning our next vacation and we can't agree on a destination...
Not all those who wander are lost

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11638 on: April 27, 2019, 05:17:36 PM »
Do heads or tails ;D

As for me, I had to do it, despite having a ton of unread books at home: I saw @AnnaStephens 's book 2, Darksoul all lovely in new paperback in Waterstone's and I had to buy it :D

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11639 on: April 30, 2019, 07:56:17 PM »
2 more books... :-[

Today I had to go to the consulate to renew my passport, so I left work a bit early. And then I gave myself a little present by having dinner in this great place that I knew from abroad, but they've opened now in Manchester, called Vapiano - so yummy :D

(yes, when there's no one to tell, you get my posts ;D)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 08:05:44 PM by ScarletBea »