December 11, 2018, 06:18:11 PM

Author Topic: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)  (Read 843895 times)

Offline Rostum

Re: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)
« Reply #11115 on: September 26, 2018, 12:43:22 PM »
Which(for the most part) also comes under fiction.

Zombies are more about social permission than horror from my perspective.

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11116 on: September 26, 2018, 10:10:04 PM »
The question about whether zombies are fantasy or fiction is making me hear Queen lyrics.  Is this the real life or is it just fantasy? Though I guess it would be Is this made up life or is it just fantasy? 
The Real Powers That Be

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #11117 on: September 27, 2018, 12:38:35 AM »
I have heard and believe the theory that zombies represent a worldwide cultural memory of starvation. Advanced starvation turns a human into a zombie: shambling gate, poor balance, very limited eyesight, subdued reflexes, reduced mental faculties, slurred speech, the list goes on. Oh, and they will eat you.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #11118 on: September 27, 2018, 08:45:22 AM »
They are technically nonfiction, if you're reading Wade Davis

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11119 on: September 28, 2018, 07:56:22 AM »
The (very cold for now) 5 C this morning was worth for the crisp cloudless blue sky with the almost full moon still clearly visible at 7.30am.

It was so beautiful I had to take a photo, although of course that doesn't make any justice to the true image I still have in my mind :D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #11120 on: September 29, 2018, 02:52:34 AM »
Being the maker of a thing introduces biases that can get in the way. So if any of you happen to have read any of the poems I've posted in the Only Mostly Dead thread, perhaps you might recommend one or two that you think would be suitable for a poetry reading thing I signed up for. I'm out of my comfort zone (partly because I so often urge others to get outside of theirs and one can only bear one's own hypocrisy so far haha) and haven't a clue what this will be like to read my stuff aloud in front of strangers.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Rostum

« Reply #11121 on: September 29, 2018, 08:18:34 PM »
I think your poetry is very good and at the end of the day it is only your thoughts on it that count. Are you comfortable reading your poetry aloud are you comfortable reading it to an audience? if not this may not be for you.

Can you read it aloud to you wife?
Can you read it aloud to your wife while naked?
Probably best stop there...

if you can then reading to strangers shouldn't be so much of a challenge. An audience is by it's nature sympathetic. Nobody pays (in money or time) to see something they don't expect to like

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #11122 on: September 29, 2018, 11:50:58 PM »
Gem, just read your personal favourites. You'll be most at ease with those.

In Icelandic news, I just got back from my favourite watering hole; Akureyri Backpackers. I like going there early in the evening, for the cheapest happy hour, to work out story ideas while downing two or three beers. It's also the place to occasionally get into a conversation with interesting people, and this time it happened again.

I got to know a young New Yorker couple, and a trio of middle-aged Canadians of Icelandic descent (Western Icelanders). One of the Canadians was here to gain a deeper understanding of her origins, and WHY her ancestor had decided to emigrate (hint: volcanic devastation).

We discussed various subjects, shared some cultural insights (I informed them that there is in fact no separate American/Canadian accent), and they bought me an extra beer. I then served as their tour guide for a little bit, and directed them to a still-open but good restaurant. They offered to buy me a meal, but I'd already eaten and settle for a milkshake.

The trend continues: Every single American I've ever met in the flesh had been very affable.

Now, if I could just learn to get along this well with some actual locals, I'd be set...
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Online ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11123 on: September 30, 2018, 09:22:38 AM »
Now, if I could just learn to get along this well with some actual locals, I'd be set...
I believe, from a bit of experience too, that this is because when people go to a different country they're WAY more willing to talk with strangers. Locals usually go out with their friends and they form a closed group, not looking outside.

Also because at the backpackers place you go to there aren't many locals? ;)

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #11124 on: October 01, 2018, 12:29:47 AM »
So I was going to quit my job - too many hours and too much stress. My president and I had discussed moving me up to her job so she could shift to other things, but the job needs more than I bring to the table (or want to). So during the talk where I expressed that, I broached the topic of my desire to move on. In the end, I am promoted to Director of Business Development. My bonuses, if things go well, could effectively double my salary. Kind of a weird turn of events...
The Gem Cutter

Online ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11125 on: October 01, 2018, 08:07:59 AM »
Congrats! :)

...but sorry to say this: if your current job has too many hours and too much stress, won't a higher one be even worse?

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #11126 on: October 01, 2018, 08:39:37 AM »
That IS a weird turn of events.

Over here I'm looking at this winter's first snowfall. It never starts off impressive; we're getting tiny flakes drifting down, but we're in for a sharp cold spell as the weekend draws near.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Online ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11127 on: October 01, 2018, 09:14:10 AM »
^ no snow, but I already had to scrape ice off my windscreen this morning >:(

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #11128 on: October 01, 2018, 11:12:04 AM »
Congrats! :)

...but sorry to say this: if your current job has too many hours and too much stress, won't a higher one be even worse?

Indeed that is a concern. But I think the hours and stress will be more manageable as I won't be spending all my time writing proposals; I'll be chatting with clients, developing quotes, and other, more social things that do not wear on me so hard. And I do not "need" my salary. My current salary is over my needs by about $25K, so if I am moderately successful, I could basically get to a point where I am way over my needs and could pay down my mortgage and have some terrific vacations overseas and in a few years, I won't have to work at all.
The Gem Cutter

Online JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #11129 on: October 01, 2018, 02:44:45 PM »
@The Gem Cutter,

Though I agree with others that if you choose your favorites you’ll be fine, I offer up some suggestions (one to begin, then I’ll add others as I can today):

http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/writers-corner/only-mostly-dead-poets-society/msg183306/#msg183306

Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com