November 18, 2019, 07:29:51 AM

Author Topic: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)  (Read 1026125 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
Re: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)
« Reply #11100 on: September 21, 2018, 09:29:10 PM »
@ScarletBea, cool! I didn't know this existed (or I forgot) and I don't own it yet. Is it as good as I think it is?
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11101 on: September 22, 2018, 08:19:16 AM »
I'm still reading it, and I don't want to flip ahead as I'd like to be surprised, but from what I saw at the shop, it's fab!
Tech and biology, travel and space, he draws and explains things in the manner of that second picture.

I got the hardcover, long book, and it's still got very small font, hehe I don't think it would work as a paperback.
This copy has got a coffee stain from a round mug on the cover, but it's light and doesn't really affect the book (and for £2 I'm not complaining)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #11102 on: September 22, 2018, 03:35:48 PM »
Arghh. I went to a new gym today and accidentally kicked on an old sandbag on its lower part (old sandbags usually have really soft upper part but concrete-hard lower portions, due to the material piling down from use). I'm limping now. Hope it'll improve in a day/ few days.  :-\

Offline Rostum

« Reply #11103 on: September 23, 2018, 01:15:14 AM »
In the Uk gyms are largely places people go to play with exercise machines and admire themselves and others in the mirrors. People who actually need to exercise are not encouraged to partake in this little narcissistic ritual. In Hungary gyms were scary places with dumbbells up to 50kg and dodgy guys who exercised with them.

Martial arts are discouraged and Dojo's are separate from gyms as a rule. Can we assume you partake of a martial art? If so which?

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #11104 on: September 24, 2018, 12:34:37 AM »
haha, @Rostum some gyms do have sand bags, even if they're not boxing gyms or dojos ;)

Offline Rostum

« Reply #11105 on: September 24, 2018, 10:40:50 AM »
Not here that I know of, there is a tacit agreement to keep 'violent' stuff separate and behind closed doors

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #11106 on: September 24, 2018, 02:11:27 PM »
Not here that I know of, there is a tacit agreement to keep 'violent' stuff separate and behind closed doors

Probably different views and different settings in various countries, ahah. As Bradley said, every single gym in Malaysia had at least a sandbag, and even in the gym back in Czech Republic that I used to go they had a boxing sandbag. 

Also for the question, I do muaythai, somewhat.

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #11107 on: September 24, 2018, 02:23:04 PM »
The gym I used to go to was basically a nation-sized sauna and there were sandbags everywhere hahahaha
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Online Eli_Freysson

« Reply #11108 on: September 24, 2018, 04:41:29 PM »
You folks remember that whole Romania business? A Romanian fantasy magazine published the first chapter in my first space opera novel, which stands on its own as a short story.

That very wonderful Romanian dude contacted me with the news that a French magazine is now considering that same story.

I'm going to stay cautiously optimistic here, but maybe, just MAYBE getting the short published in France will be the first step in getting the rest published there as well.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #11109 on: September 25, 2018, 10:10:41 AM »

Probably different views and different settings in various countries, ahah. As Bradley said, every single gym in Malaysia had at least a sandbag, and even in the gym back in Czech Republic that I used to go they had a boxing sandbag. 

Also for the question, I do muaythai, somewhat.

@S. K. Inkslinger I did a mix of Mauy Thai and boxing for a while, and Kung Fu too!

You folks remember that whole Romania business? A Romanian fantasy magazine published the first chapter in my first space opera novel, which stands on its own as a short story.

That very wonderful Romanian dude contacted me with the news that a French magazine is now considering that same story.

I'm going to stay cautiously optimistic here, but maybe, just MAYBE getting the short published in France will be the first step in getting the rest published there as well.

This is really exciting Eli!!!! and super random.  How did you come across that Romanian guy again?

Online Eli_Freysson

« Reply #11110 on: September 25, 2018, 12:16:46 PM »
This is really exciting Eli!!!! and super random.  How did you come across that Romanian guy again?

I got proof for my belief that getting ahead is a matter of luck, as he contacted me. He was looking for a foreign author to feature in the magazine and happened upon my website. The website I'd been considering just taking down.
He asked if I had short stories, and I sent him the first chapters of The Call and The War of the Usurper. He picked the latter.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11111 on: September 25, 2018, 08:18:45 PM »
I got proof for my belief that getting ahead is a matter of luck[...]
True.

-> https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2018/8/21/17687402/kylie-jenner-luck-human-life-moral-privilege
Very interesting and good read.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Bender

« Reply #11112 on: September 25, 2018, 11:45:23 PM »
Are zombies fiction or fantasy?
Not all those who wander are lost

Offline Rostum

« Reply #11113 on: September 26, 2018, 12:28:05 AM »
is you fantasy not fiction?

Online Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #11114 on: September 26, 2018, 07:44:42 AM »
Zombies come under horror for me.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate