February 19, 2020, 01:07:30 AM

Author Topic: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)  (Read 1092769 times)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
Re: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)
« Reply #10950 on: July 23, 2018, 06:32:15 AM »
Look what I bought today :D :D

It's 11cm tall, I saw it in the gift shop of Peveril Castle, and I *just* had to get it ;D

This one is called Sir Fightalot. There was also Sir Chopalot (with an axe), but I preferred the sword 8)

https://www.nemesisnow.com/sir-fightalot-11cm/
@ScarletBea that is so totally cool!

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10951 on: July 23, 2018, 08:05:42 AM »
Elfy, it is, isn't it? ;D

can we post gifs here?
I don't think they move, though (unless you actually posted one and I can't see because of the work server - there are pics I only see at home... ::) )
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #10952 on: July 23, 2018, 09:50:42 AM »
Look what I bought today :D :D

It's 11cm tall, I saw it in the gift shop of Peveril Castle, and I *just* had to get it ;D

This one is called Sir Fightalot. There was also Sir Chopalot (with an axe), but I preferred the sword 8)

https://www.nemesisnow.com/sir-fightalot-11cm/
@ScarletBea that is so totally cool!

*stutters and breathes in deeply* I  NEED THIS!!!

PS. I'm totally crazed for these kinds of things (accessories related to history/ fantasy)

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10953 on: July 23, 2018, 06:34:03 PM »
Just saw a kid in Paris floss. It's everywhere ...
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #10954 on: July 23, 2018, 07:35:56 PM »

What?

But unrelated to that, I just came across this awesome quote. Back in 1938 JRR Tolkien was in talks with a German publisher about a German-language version of The Hobbit. Except the publisher asked Tolkien to provide proof of his Aryan ancestry. This was Tolkien's response:

Thank you for your letter. I regret that I am not clear as to what you intend by arisch. I am not of Aryan extraction: that is Indo-Iranian; as far as I am aware none of my ancestors spoke Hindustani, Persian, Gypsy, or any related dialects. But if I am to understand that you are enquiring whether I am of Jewish origin, I can only reply that I regret that I appear to have no ancestors of that gifted people. My great-great-grandfather came to England in the eighteenth century from Germany: the main part of my descent is therefore purely English, and I am an English subject - which should be sufficient. I have been accustomed, nonetheless, to regard my German name with pride, and continued to do so throughout the period of the late regrettable war, in which I served in the English army. I cannot, however, forbear to comment that if impertinent and irrelevant inquiries of this sort are to become the rule in matters of literature, then the time is not far distant when a German name will no longer be a source of pride.

Your enquiry is doubtless made in order to comply with the laws of your own country, but that this should be held to apply to the subjects of another state would be improper, even if it had (as it has not) any bearing whatsoever on the merits of my work or its sustainability for publication, of which you appear to have satisfied yourselves without reference to my Abstammung.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #10955 on: July 23, 2018, 11:57:56 PM »

What?

What??? is that possible?  Noooooo.... Dental hygiene is the ONLY thing I can think of that Americans do above average right now. We're loosing our edge!!!

But unrelated to that, I just came across this awesome quote. Back in 1938 JRR Tolkien was in talks with a German publisher about a German-language version of The Hobbit. Except the publisher asked Tolkien to provide proof of his Aryan ancestry. This was Tolkien's response:

Thank you for your letter. I regret that I am not clear as to what you intend by arisch. I am not of Aryan extraction: that is Indo-Iranian; as far as I am aware none of my ancestors spoke Hindustani, Persian, Gypsy, or any related dialects. But if I am to understand that you are enquiring whether I am of Jewish origin, I can only reply that I regret that I appear to have no ancestors of that gifted people. My great-great-grandfather came to England in the eighteenth century from Germany: the main part of my descent is therefore purely English, and I am an English subject - which should be sufficient. I have been accustomed, nonetheless, to regard my German name with pride, and continued to do so throughout the period of the late regrettable war, in which I served in the English army. I cannot, however, forbear to comment that if impertinent and irrelevant inquiries of this sort are to become the rule in matters of literature, then the time is not far distant when a German name will no longer be a source of pride.

Your enquiry is doubtless made in order to comply with the laws of your own country, but that this should be held to apply to the subjects of another state would be improper, even if it had (as it has not) any bearing whatsoever on the merits of my work or its sustainability for publication, of which you appear to have satisfied yourselves without reference to my Abstammung.

Correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't LoTR supposed to be a metaphor for WW1? or was it WW2? I know this is the hobbit but its interesting to see little clips of things from before it all went to shit. Thanks for the quote!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 12:20:25 AM by J.R. Darewood »

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #10956 on: July 23, 2018, 11:59:41 PM »

Come on @Bender, confess you've had a go ?  I even tried, but nearly fell over. ;D
Eli, it's a victory dance your character can do in Fortnite.
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #10957 on: July 24, 2018, 12:39:49 AM »

My favorite is Ride the Pony from Gangam style.  I do it every time I go out dancing, but  no one else ever wants to do it with me. Floss comes right after ride the pony if you wanna see it.

https://youtu.be/oe2cE-eVhtg?t=6m24s

Here it is by this footballer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFBcZNRvG4k

And another kind of... footballer:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000861098/Mark-Ingram-shows-off-dance-moves-after-TD-run

but this little footballer definitely wins for style

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W58wTAIGOHU

Offline Bender

« Reply #10958 on: July 24, 2018, 01:51:51 AM »

Come on @Bender, confess you've had a go ?  I even tried, but nearly fell over. ;D
Eli, it's a victory dance your character can do in Fortnite.

The very thought of it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Gimme my Assault Rifle and see what I do to them.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 01:57:17 AM by Bender »
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #10959 on: July 24, 2018, 09:25:33 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't LoTR supposed to be a metaphor for WW1? or was it WW2? I know this is the hobbit but its interesting to see little clips of things from before it all went to shit. Thanks for the quote!

Tolkien disliked analogy. So no.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #10960 on: July 24, 2018, 09:41:16 AM »

Tolkien disliked analogy. So no.
He also refuted claims that certain events in the book were inspired by events in WW2.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #10961 on: July 24, 2018, 02:07:25 PM »
The closest there is to that is an admission that he was influenced by his times, but he firmly stated his work had no allegory intentionally worked in.

For my part, I think his drawing on WWI was in the small things, not the big. Having read Tolkien and the Great War, when I read the Hobbit and see Bilbo in the tunnels of the goblins and Smaug's lair, I hear echoes of the trenches; when Bilbo lists off which dwarves survive the Battle of Five Armies, I see the casualty lists.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #10962 on: July 24, 2018, 02:40:05 PM »
The closest there is to that is an admission that he was influenced by his times, but he firmly stated his work had no allegory intentionally worked in.

It is impossible for anyone to not be shaped by their times and surroundings. But that is of course not the same as deliberate allegory.

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10963 on: July 24, 2018, 09:17:15 PM »
So just me and @Lady_Ty know what flossing is?! I call shenanigans. All of you are just too cool for school.

And yes. Tolkien denied LOTR was an analogy for WW2. If the Ring was a nuke he said, the good guys would have dropped it on Mordor. But admitted it was probably partly influenced by his experiences in the trenches in WW1.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Bender

« Reply #10964 on: July 24, 2018, 09:48:23 PM »
So just me and @Lady_Ty know what flossing is?! I call shenanigans. All of you are just too cool for school.

You were talking about the dance, right?  :o
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6