September 16, 2019, 02:06:45 PM

Author Topic: Tattoos  (Read 262 times)

Online isos81

Tattoos
« on: July 05, 2019, 01:41:27 PM »
Does anyone have any tattoos? I've got 2 tattoos.

First one is from the novei V for Vendetta. I have V on my shoulder and Evey under him. There is a V logo over Evey's eye. There is also my favorite quote from the movie: "Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof."

My second tattoo is on my calf. It's a pirate ship done by a tattoo apprentice. It needs some touch ups by pro tattooers. There is also a quote under the ship: "I am the captain of my soul".

I'm thinking about a big tatoo (full back). It will either be characters from the books I read or from the mangas I read. If I go for the books, I'll use characters from LoTR, Malazan, WoT, Dark Tower. If I go for the mangas, I'll use characters from bleach, naruto, one piece, FMA and some others.

I also have a Bruce Lee design for my inner arm.

Any others? :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Brand J Alexander

• Shadow Op
  • Weaving the magic of words into worlds of wonder.
    • View Profile
    • Fantasy Author Brand J. Alexander
Re: Tattoos
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 03:23:59 PM »
I only have one. A woven lattice going around my ankle, with a dragon curled around the Yin Yang at the front. 
Explore the Universe of Brand J. Alexander
https://brandjalexander.wixsite.com/website

Offline Bender

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 04:10:20 PM »
One in my right bicep. A tribal sun with a yin/yang in the center.

Thinking about getting a second, but haven't decided yet.

Not all those who wander are lost

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2019, 01:33:06 AM »
I have one. Left upper arm. I’m a fanatical follower of the Richmond Tigers Aussie Rules football club. Pretty much followed the club from birth (mine, not the club’s). We were terrible for a long time. I always said if we ever won another Premiership I’d get a tattoo to commemorate it. My wife went along with this, partly because at the time I don’t think she thought it would ever happen. Then in 2017 out of nowhere we got good and won that Premiership. I got the tattoo about a month after the win, it’s the club’s emblem; a snarling tiger head. It has the words RICHMOND PREMIERS 2017 under the head. It’s in yellow and black, the team colours.

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2019, 06:12:18 AM »

I have 2.

One covers much of my right chest, wraps over my shoulder, and then winds down my tricep and around my bicep.  It's a dragon, it's head and upper claws coiled on my chest, wing over my shoulder and tail wrapping its way around my arm. It's done mostly in solid black with the negative space used for the spaces that would normally be darker.  The negative space has a sort of shifting color pallate of green and aqua. When I'm wearing a short sleeved shirt, only the tail peeks out on my bicep, and it's got an aqua color in the middle so everyone who sees it is like "Oh!  Is that a dolphin?" To which I sullenly reply "No.  It's a dragon." because 1) dragons are way more badass than dolphins and it's embarrassing that everyone thinks I have a dolphin all the time and 2) because dragons are considered pretty trite at this point, like some sort of bad 90s gangster tattoo, so its embarrassing to tell people I have a dragon. I got it because my roommate in college was an art major and he bought a tattoo gun on the internet and everyone else got really tiny tattoos and I was like f* that I want a huge one.  He designed it himself and it was mostly black and he had no idea what he was doing (it was like his 4th tattoo ever) so he didn't know what angle to hold the gun at and my whole chest and shoulder were like just one giant inky wound.  It took him 5 sessions, 20 hours total.

The other one is on the right back shoulder just below the wing of the dragon.  It took like 20 min.  I got it from another friend who owns a tattoo parlor.  I designed this one myself amalgamating things from the internet.  It's a painted/brushstroke style ouroboros encircling an awen, an ancient druidic symbol for the creative power of poetry and the rays of the sun, which may have possibly been entirely made up by a shady pseudohistorian in the 17th century.

I want to get a giant tattoo of a phoenix going up my left leg b/c I don't have anything on my left side and a phoenix is said to complement the dragon in eastern mythology (as yin and yang) and in western mythology the phoenix is the positive aspect of scorpios, and the whole death and rebirth thing is cool but I haven't gotten it yet maybe one day.

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2019, 08:16:27 AM »
I have to admit I don't really like tattoos, but now I really want photos of all your tattoos you described!
Maybe I do admire (some of) them as art, just not on bodies, hehe
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2019, 01:27:22 PM »
@J.R. Darewood, there’s just so much here to unpack.
1. Maybe you’re just a dolphin kind of guy. Happy to play with a frisbee, but savage on the sharks.
2. Were you drunk?
3. Were you drunk again?
4. Don’t be drunk for the Phoenix.
5. After getting drunk and choosing a blind man with a broken tattoo gun, the bottom feathers of the “Phoenix” peek out from under your pants cuff. Women everywhere wonder why you got a turkey buzzard wrapped around your leg.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2019, 06:18:46 PM »
I have to admit I don't really like tattoos, but now I really want photos of all your tattoos you described!
Maybe I do admire (some of) them as art, just not on bodies, hehe
I agree mostly. I wouldn't mind something small but I could never decide what or where, so...

A colleague of mine has an interesting attitude towards tattoos. He likes to take all this higher meaning of tattoos ad absurdum. He has a few and designed them all himself. My favorite is a washing machine with a plate on top and on the plate are three steaming dumplings.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)