May 19, 2019, 06:07:58 PM

Author Topic: Special venting thread for people who hate their day job  (Read 21614 times)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
Re: Special venting thread for people who hate their day job
« Reply #225 on: October 14, 2017, 12:35:33 PM »
I hear Facebook is hiring thousands of advertising checkers to filter out Russian propaganda.
You should look into that!
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #226 on: October 14, 2017, 09:59:34 PM »
Da

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #227 on: February 21, 2018, 11:46:48 PM »
Rise, oh woe-begotten and long-ignored thread! Stir from your dusty tomb!

OMFG I want to get in my car, drive to Maryland, and kick the fools I am trying to help in the shins. Business documents are not unlike fiction - arriving at the final product is an iterative process. These jackasses expect brilliance when they give me NOTHING TO WORK WITH.

Business writing is composed of several elements. Chief among these is what a fiction writer would call Plot - what's going to happen, what's not going to happen: "I will mow your lawn. I will not run over your garden hose with the mower when I mow it."  My job is to take the Plot from the customer and add what a fiction writer would call Character and Description - "Using my background as a seasoned Landscaper and the lessons learned on many similar jobs, I will...." You get the idea. It's hard enough when the client knows what he's about.

But no. These folks think they're AMAZING. They literally have the most ridiculous approach to managing a 241-person contract I've ever seen: "We will have a manager." A manager? Jeese louise a 20-person fast food joint has 3 or more. I can't help these people. They're fighting me the whole way. Screw em.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Rostum

« Reply #228 on: February 22, 2018, 03:14:37 AM »
TGC I am sure I will be preaching to the choir. I used to have a similar issue with extremely clever scientists and engineers, whose focus was on anything but the detail of compliance, conformity and documentation because that stuff magically happened while they did the clever stuff.

I spent lots of time trapping them in their labs or cubes and asking questions after receiving emails so vague they could be applied to anything or gave them so much wriggle room you couldn't tell what they actually wanted. Usually 'what is it you want' was the question and variants thereof repeated until I had at  least a notion. As legal would be getting it after me I cultivated their technical writer and would take her along where possible. She was so focussed she had sharp edges and was scary clever as well as being able to say 'no we can't do that as it could leave us legally exposed. Let me know the alternative in x days time before I have to raise this as an issue'

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #229 on: February 22, 2018, 10:44:23 AM »

[Smiles blissfully at Rostum and TGC from unemployment]

But seriously, TGC, I've found the secret is calmly spoonfeeding exact requirements like you would to a child of 5 and trying to look at them with pity instead of anger.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #230 on: February 26, 2018, 05:29:16 AM »
so what's going on with the LSE? Will you be gracing our shores anytime soon?

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #231 on: February 26, 2018, 09:13:57 AM »
Won't know for some time.  They'll most likely send me a rejection letter May-ish once they've finalized their search.  On the unlikely chance I get an interview, I doubt I'll find out right away.  I'm applying for a second position with them as well, the app isn't done quite yet tho.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #232 on: February 28, 2018, 07:32:53 AM »
Well should you be getting an interview let us know and we can find bookshops coffee and beer while you are here.

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #233 on: June 28, 2018, 01:52:45 AM »
Didn't hear back from LSE so I'm guessing that's a no

Saw a position with Oxfam that's right up my alley.  They want a least a Master's degree and it pays 18,000/yr.  I'm not sure if I should be insulted, or if I should apply.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #234 on: June 28, 2018, 07:49:48 AM »

Saw a position with Oxfam that's right up my alley.  They want a least a Master's degree and it pays 18,000/yr.  I'm not sure if I should be insulted, or if I should apply.
Full time? That sucks.

Problem is, people with ideals (= those who apply to those jobs) tend to be good at self-exploitation...
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #235 on: June 28, 2018, 08:08:59 AM »

Full time? That sucks.

Problem is, people with ideals (= those who apply to those jobs) tend to be good at self-exploitation...

Well to be fair the two positions I was looking at were in Africa. Still their UK based stuff payed very little as well, and they wanted extensive international development assistance.  For an anti-poverty organization, its troubling that their pay scale for professional work flirts with the poverty line.