August 20, 2018, 12:02:36 AM

Author Topic: Science for Science Fiction! (Articles and the Like)  (Read 18405 times)

Offline Rostum

Re: Science for Science Fiction! (Articles and the Like)
« Reply #225 on: March 24, 2018, 03:57:15 PM »
And bless, the BBC have finally hooked on to this a year late http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/must_see/43395686/how-dna-can-be-used-to-store-computer-data and failed to note the actual story is company has digital to biological codeable DNA not that your memory stick will one day be obsolete.

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire

Offline Ray McCarthy

« Reply #227 on: April 11, 2018, 09:18:52 PM »
It's well known that Scandinavians probably used mineral "stones" to see the sun's direction on a cloudy day. This may be some fresh research, but it's very old news.
Note that maps accentuate the distance from Norway or Sweden to Scotland, Iceland, Greenland and Vineland (Newfoundland). The distance from Ireland to Newfoundland is less than the length of the US / Mexican border.

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #229 on: May 31, 2018, 03:11:19 PM »
 :o :o
I'm so NOT going to open the links >:( >:(
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #230 on: May 31, 2018, 10:59:08 PM »
and once you're done with that, watch this video on using VR to cure your arachnophobia

https://www.smh.com.au/environment/conservation/spiders-could-eat-every-human-on-earth-in-one-year-20170329-gv8m6v.html

My cure for arachnophobia in VR was to download the Skyrim mod that replaces all the giant spiders with frost wraiths or spirit deer. >.>

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 01, 2018, 05:44:28 AM »
 :o :o
Never mind @ScarletBea you can escape like this

“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #232 on: June 01, 2018, 05:50:11 AM »
and once you're done with that, watch this video on using VR to cure your arachnophobia

https://www.smh.com.au/environment/conservation/spiders-could-eat-every-human-on-earth-in-one-year-20170329-gv8m6v.html

My cure for arachnophobia in VR was to download the Skyrim mod that replaces all the giant spiders with frost wraiths or spirit deer. >.>

In thought you were going to go with Trainwiz or Macho Dragons... Speaking of which in investigating replacers as a result of your post i think animated fart shouts is the most hilarious thing I've ever seen

http://www.dorkly.com/post/73293/weird-skyrim-mods

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #233 on: June 06, 2018, 03:54:34 PM »
In thought you were going to go with Trainwiz or Macho Dragons... Speaking of which in investigating replacers as a result of your post i think animated fart shouts is the most hilarious thing I've ever seen

http://www.dorkly.com/post/73293/weird-skyrim-mods

Haha, as odd as it might sound I've been playing Skryim "straight" - no funny/joke mods, just stuff to improve the game and make it more visually pretty. As I've mentioned, in VR, Skyrim has been the most immersive and exciting VR experience I've had - while my companions don't necessarily feel like real people, I've definitely grown attached to them.

Lydia is a great example - on console, she annoyed me because she kept getting in the way of my clumsy sword slices. In VR, where Lydia is actually THERE with me, visibly guarding my back in fights, I appreciate her a lot more. It's also much easier to fight side-by-side with her because I can easily control where I swing.

Being THERE with NPCs makes it much easier to get attached. Inigo is my sword bro, Lydia is my sword sis, and it's fun to smash trolls with Mjoll, my badass barbarian wife. Skyrim VR definitely feels like living the "geeky gamer gets physically teleported to a fantasy world and think it's awesome" books I read when I was younger, though I've finally managed to pull myself away from it after 120 hours or so. I still want to play and finish more quests, but it's not as addictively compelling as it was for the first few months.

Once VR headsets get cheaper and more popular, the first company to make a new game designed for VR with Skyrim's depth of questing, customization, and characters is going to make a ****load of money.

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #234 on: June 06, 2018, 03:57:18 PM »
Wired has a great write-up of how China's previously mentioned social credit system (basically, a credit score for your life, that affects your ability to literally survive) is being implemented and how it's affecting people.

It's as dystopian as you can imagine (which is why it's a great science fiction prompt) but also interesting in a vaguely terrifying Orwellian manner.

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/china-social-credit

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #235 on: June 13, 2018, 06:53:45 PM »
Can't remember if I've posted this yet, but so called "Deepfake" technology continues to advance at a frightening pace. With enough source material (common for public figures, like President Obama or others) it can easily generate fake speeches from the target and even create custom facial expressions.

Basically, it lets you make videos of people saying things they never said.

Gizmodo sums it up pretty well and has some great examples.

https://gizmodo.com/deepfake-videos-are-getting-impossibly-good-1826759848

In my recent scifi book (set hundreds of years in the future) I had an aside where I mentioned that video evidence is no longer admissible in courts because it has become so easy to fake. Seems like we might be getting to that point sooner rather than later.

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #236 on: June 14, 2018, 02:14:30 AM »
Jeese Louise - just what we need. Russians will weaponize that in about 3 weeks - if they haven't already.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Rostum

« Reply #237 on: June 14, 2018, 03:16:10 AM »
Sadly it is more likely America, or Trump will do so to enrage the hard of thinking for political gain.

Last time I looked Russia was struggling to comprehend that what the interns put together wasn't being believed.

https://observer.com/2017/11/russian-propaganda-uses-video-game-footage-to-accuse-us-of-aiding-isis/

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #238 on: June 20, 2018, 09:57:01 AM »
Can't remember if I've posted this yet, but so called "Deepfake" technology continues to advance at a frightening pace. With enough source material (common for public figures, like President Obama or others) it can easily generate fake speeches from the target and even create custom facial expressions.

Basically, it lets you make videos of people saying things they never said.

Gizmodo sums it up pretty well and has some great examples.

https://gizmodo.com/deepfake-videos-are-getting-impossibly-good-1826759848

In my recent scifi book (set hundreds of years in the future) I had an aside where I mentioned that video evidence is no longer admissible in courts because it has become so easy to fake. Seems like we might be getting to that point sooner rather than later.

When I saw Trumps "space force" announcement I totally thought it had to be faked using this technology.

UNRELATED:

This article about phones and your brain is really really really really good.  Brave New World has arrived.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-smartphones-hijack-our-minds-1507307811

Offline Rostum

« Reply #239 on: June 21, 2018, 11:12:09 PM »
Norwegian scientists did something about separating teens from their phones and monitored the same heart rythms  seen in those suffering from PTSD and suffering an attack.