September 16, 2019, 07:40:51 AM

Author Topic: Science for Science Fiction! (Articles and the Like)  (Read 31112 times)

Offline Rostum

Re: Science for Science Fiction! (Articles and the Like)
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2016, 09:31:46 AM »
Pretty sure the straddling bus is a Victorian concept, however it is cool tech and each one has the capacity of 8 buses. 

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2016, 11:17:56 PM »
What the actual ****.

Hot Robot At SXSW Says She Wants To Destroy Humans
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0_DPi0PmF0[/youtube]

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2016, 01:11:06 AM »
Kill it with fire. Do it now.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2016, 03:56:17 PM »
Iraq Is Preparing an Armed Robot to Fight ISIS
http://www.defenseone.com/technology/2016/08/iraq-preparing-armed-remote-control-robot-fight-isis/130935/

We move closer to the world we saw in Terminator every day, though this one is closer to a drone (human piloting a machine that kills) rather than an autonomous killer.

Iraqi security forces are prepping an armed robot for combat with ISIS forces, according to the Baghdad Post. A video posted with the story shows off a wheeled vehicle about the size of a small car. Loosely dubbed Alrobot — Arabic for robot — it has four cameras, an automatic machine gun, and a launcher for Russian-made Katyusha rockets, and can be operated by laptop and radio link from a kilometer away, the story says.

Offline night_wrtr

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2016, 04:05:29 PM »
Wow...hope it is hack proof.

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2016, 04:32:23 PM »
Self-driving cars are already appearing on the streets of Pittsburgh, and transporting travelers.

http://gizmodo.com/uber-will-launch-a-self-driving-car-fleet-in-pittsburgh-1785442867

http://gizmodo.com/spotted-a-self-driving-uber-in-pittsburgh-1785791976

At some point in the future, many theorize, we'll all be driving for pleasure, not necessity. It may not even be necessary to own your own car (since you can just call a self-driving car to pick you up) though I'm certain many still will, especially in countries without lots of public transit.

Still, this is a glimpse of our self-driving car future.

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2016, 08:31:19 PM »
So I'm not saying that it's aliens.

Alien Hunters Spot Freaky Radio Signal Coming From Nearby Star
http://gizmodo.com/alien-hunters-spot-freaky-radio-signal-coming-from-near-1785889615
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 09:23:26 PM by tebakutis »

Offline Hedin

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2016, 08:38:48 PM »
Take that Fermi Paradox*!!!

*yes I know it's more than likely just some random signal that we picked up and not aliens (even though the random signal itself could prove interesting)

Offline night_wrtr

« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2016, 12:52:39 AM »

*yes I know it's more than likely just some random signal that we picked up and not aliens (even though the random signal itself could prove interesting)

Speaking of the Fermi. Wait But Why did a great article on it. Here

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2016, 03:42:39 AM »

Great article! And I've bookmarked that site to investigate further, looks fab :D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2016, 04:56:37 AM »
I once toyed with the idea of molding young minds as a teacher - but apparently it is forbidden to impose military-style indoctrination techniques on children. I tried substitute teaching for a while before I learned that, and I had been toying with an analogy to illustrate just how precious the average day really is.
My assumptions were these:

1. There was only this world, and that we would ignore those periods when Earth was uninhabitable. This yielded a period of about 6 billion years of days like today - with a non-molten Earth and a Sun.

2. We would round up in human lifespan and assume a person had 100 years of adulthood, ignoring the first 15 when you're learning how to poop, ride a bike, speak, etc. Granted, some people and most politicians take much longer, but we wanted to base the exercise on "normal" people.

I asked a classroom of advanced chemistry students to help me with the math because, well, math.
The results were essentially these - the odds of you being alive today, able to walk and talk, on this planet are so astronomically remote that I had to compare them to a lottery for a suitable comparison.

The odds of you being here today are the equivalent of winning a standard 1:80M lottery - TWICE.

That makes this day quite literally the most precious thing you will ever have, by orders of magnitude that dwarf human intellect.

So here is my advice on what this all means: when someone tries to ruin your day, they are trying to rob you of something far greater than the winnings of TWO winning lottery tickets - so do not let them. Do not give them even one second of your precious, precious time. Flee them and turn to those whom you love - for the odds of the both of you being alive, in this moment, are so remote that it's a celestial wonder that it happens at all.

-The Gem Cutter

« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 04:58:27 AM by The_Gem_Cutter »
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline night_wrtr

« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2016, 08:54:40 PM »

Great article! And I've bookmarked that site to investigate further, looks fab :D

There are so many fantastic articles there.

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2016, 05:33:20 AM »
The odds of you being here today are the equivalent of winning a standard 1:80M lottery - TWICE.

That makes this day quite literally the most precious thing you will ever have, by orders of magnitude that dwarf human intellect.

So here is my advice on what this all means: when someone tries to ruin your day, they are trying to rob you of something far greater than the winnings of TWO winning lottery tickets - so do not let them. Do not give them even one second of your precious, precious time. Flee them and turn to those whom you love - for the odds of the both of you being alive, in this moment, are so remote that it's a celestial wonder that it happens at all.

Just wanted to say I loved this. Well said.

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2016, 05:33:40 AM »
Ha! Double post.

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2016, 05:33:51 AM »
Also, here's another recent development in news of outer space signals...

Not a Drill: SETI Is Investigating a Possible Extraterrestrial Signal From Deep Space
http://observer.com/2016/08/not-a-drill-seti-is-investigating-a-possible-extraterrestrial-signal-from-deep-space/

Interesting stuff.