March 27, 2017, 07:34:00 AM

Author Topic: Reading outside your comfort zone  (Read 6101 times)

Offline Drying Ink

Re: Reading outside your comfort zone
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2011, 05:33:24 PM »
I totally agree with reading outside your comfort zone - to an extent. After you've got the experience, you can also decide, of course, that there are some zones you really don't want to read more of. Some of mine within fantasy itself, for example, are any more royal-blood-veneration, peasant-turns-out-to-have-royal-blood-really kinds of novels.

Offline missoularedhead

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2011, 02:50:49 AM »
I actually don't have a comfort zone when it comes to reading, with the caveat that perhaps I would have to be paid to read most romances, and the current Karen Armstrong-led craze just doesn't interest me (but I've read a few of each, and I'm just not interested).

But overall? I do read outside my comfort zone...all the time. I've read Anne Coulter (who is so far from my own take on the world that we might as well be on different planets), friends' dissertations on physics, pharmacology, etc. (I didn't get most of it, but I did catch the most egregious grammar goofs), thrillers, etc. In fact, I've never dismissed a single genre of any sort without at least having tried it.
"Well behaved women rarely make history" ~Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Offline WizardofWestmarch

• Half a King
  • Awesomeness at a Mile High
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2011, 04:27:26 AM »
In fiction I'm still working on this. I've been looking at getting into Thrillers a bit both as a change of pace and to look for elements to steal for my own writing. Romance doesn't interest me so that genre is out. Sci-fi and Fantasy are right in my wheel house so they don't count. I'm a sports nut so reading Sports heavy fiction seems pointless. I should dig into mysteries, something my mom used to love and my dad still does. Hmmmmm
Lover and would be writer of fantasy
My tumblelog on writing

Offline TsarevichRaven

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2011, 05:22:08 PM »
Most reading outside of fantasy I've done has been Japanese fiction. That was for a dissertation, so probably doesn't count. Generally, I read only fantasy because I don't always have the time to read outside of that: I adore fantasy, reading makes me happy--I'd even call it my "coping mechanism"--and therefore since I don't get as much time to read as I'd like (I do get a lot, mind), I tend to only read what I know I'll like. That said, I do venture between genres within fantasy, trying to find new things I like. I love vampires, but since the genre of urban-fantasy, and even mild horror is so...convoluted with "vampire romance", I've been turned off trying even that! Which is a great pity; since I love vampires, and don't have as much time as I'd like to work on my own urban-fantasy novel(s), as I'm focussing on my main project at present (more traditional fantasy).

I think I would like historical (vaguely fantasy/horror) fiction, if I gave it a chance: but that would require time. However, the one-offs I've tried, for whatever reason (usually school and uni) I have liked. I have a soft-spot for anything Japanese, so studying those books for my dissertation wasn't hard; it was a pleasure, and though it counted as "work-reading", it didn't feel like other books I've had to read.

I really, really want to read more vampire lit, but it's impossibly hard for a guy to find something that doesn't seem too "girlie"; or, that's just the impression I've received. I'd love to be proven wrong, and I do keep looking!

But at the end of the day...I do prefer my fantasy, no matter the incarnation.
"Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw ... where those of wit and learning will always find their kind."
-------------
Leo Cristea
Twitter
Website | Jet Black Ink

Offline Eclipse

• Total eclipse of the dragon's heart
  • Khaleesi
  • Goats for ever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2016, 07:48:58 AM »
Heh - maybe I've been lucky, but recently I've had a higher 'hit rate' reading outside my comfort zone than in it!

The last 3 books I put down and gave up on were fantasy & I love fantasy. I read two 'chick-lit' books this year (high-brow chick-lit, but still chick-lit I think) and enjoyed them, a crime thriller last year, some modern literary fiction and some classics ... all good.

I don't think anyone has a 'duty' to broaden their horizons though - why shouldn't you stick to what you like? Reading is for pleasure, not to satisfy some kind of obligation. I read more widely because I enjoy it & also because it strengthens my own writing.

I always try to read new things but fantasy keeps dragging me back and heck I love it.

I'm Saloninus, by the way. And I tell lies, from time to time. Which goes to prove the old rule; never entirely trust a man who talks about himself in the third person.

Blue and Gold by K.J Parker

Tags: