December 11, 2019, 02:54:47 PM

Author Topic: Motorbikes  (Read 7146 times)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
Re: Motorbikes
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2019, 09:47:04 PM »
Be careful out there on the big mopeds, folks.

Mrs. JMack’s sister (Jmacksisterlaw?) related the story of her boyfriend’s wife’s motorcycle accident that happened recently. (Yes, the boyfriend has a wife, you didn’t misread that.) She recently recovered enough that they could put the missing piece of her skull back on.

@Rostum, can you get some compensation for the fibula, at least to cover the bike? (See? I understand some priorities.  ;) )
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Bender

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2019, 10:15:17 PM »
Wrong thread...
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

Offline Rostum

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2019, 10:34:29 PM »
Really sorry to hear of the wifes injury and hope the recovery continues. First thought is was she wearing a helmet? Every accident is a different set of errors ad circumstance. Mine was likely caused by following a sat nav as a set of instructions and not as a guide. These devices are the biggest setback to road safety after mobile phones.

@Rostum, can you get some compensation for the fibula, at least to cover the bike? (See? I understand some priorities.  ;) )

Yes I am bringing an uninsured loss claim for damaged clothing, injury and financial loss for missed work. I doubt they (the other parties insurers) will contest it. In 18 months to 2 years I may receive a cheque.

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2019, 04:41:02 AM »
Update.

My MuZ Skorpion was written off by the insurers and I was low balled on the insurance for the bike. The reason is they are rare enough for none to have been sold in the 60 days prior to the accident (this is how long Ebay keeps sold information now) on Ebay, Auto Trader, GumTree et al. So I got about 2/3 of what I was expecting. As a low end Glasses guide price was used.

My legal cover employed by my insurers are uninterested in resolving this and my insurers are saying not our problem so I guess I am out of pocket there. I have bought the bike back and will rebuild it although the bike shop that is the only supplier of parts has seen what I am after and can source about half of it. Note to self chase em up Tomorrow.

I went for a medical today relating to the crash and the doctor believes I have cracked my  right fibula, X-rays to follow. Kinda makes sense as I stopped a care with that leg.

I went for a short ride after and went back across the same roundabout I was hit at a little disconcerting but manageable. I pulled into the local Mc Donalds and had a taxi cut me up then try and back over me. Things got a little heated at that point but there were bike cops and a Police van in the garage opposite as well as two bikers taking an interest at a table 3 meters away so he got back in his taxi and went away.
This is the first time I have actually been back on a bike for no reason and it was really strange.

@Rostum sorry man!!! That's awful.  I hope your x-rays come back with nothing worse than a bruise.  Crossing fingers here.

Meanwhile, Ebay just doesn't sound like the most professional way to make an assessment. What about KBB? (Kelley Blue Book)  I'd put some more pressure on and see what happens.  A roommate's friend who had been lent my car while I was out of town got into a fight with a trucker in a parking lot and the guy just drove into my car and totalled it. They wouldn't cover it until i got into town and raised some hell.

Also, re: the McDonalds thing.... drivers are an extra sort of crazy.  Being surrounded by metal just brings out the a-hole in people. A friend once saw a motorcyclist almost get run over by a reckless driver, and then the motorcycle chased the car down to start kicking their door angrily while riding high speed on the freeway....

Anyway, take care and I hope your leg recovers and your pocketbook recovers too.

Offline Bender

« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2019, 03:55:02 PM »
Mrs. JMack’s sister (Jmacksisterlaw?) related the story of her boyfriend’s wife’s motorcycle accident that happened recently. (Yes, the boyfriend has a wife, you didn’t misread that.)

Wait, what?  :o
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

Offline Rostum

« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2019, 04:52:40 PM »
@J.R.Darewood The problem with the bike and using ebay as a source of actual value is that it is so rare in the UK (9 left registered, most were unregistered and raced) So none sold in the kept history of any tat bazaars so they reverted to Glass's guide, which I guess is the equivilent of KBB and valued at the low mark.

Wow your car write off sounds crazy. Surely criminal charges should have determined fault on that one.

I had no issue real concern with the taxi driver beyond him running me over. If he wanted to throw hands in front of police and bikers his bad choices would have led to bad outcomes.

@Bender there are a number of reasons that is a valid situation, give it some thought.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2019, 11:50:27 AM »
I have a 23 year old 600 diversion as a hack. Tis a great bike for commuting and general use and if it gets bashed crashed or stolen its not the end of the world. When I was commuting 300 miles a week it was a necessity as it gives 60mpg and is comfortable enough to ride all day and surprisingly fun for a workhorse. They do have a few niggles, weak rear shock, usually replaced with a hagon a fantastic set of down pipes and end cans joined by chrome coloured tissue paper in the middle and a really weak arm on the centrestand.

As part of sorting mine back out I fitted a second hand one after the arm inevitably snapped on the previous one.
This I rust treated, undercoated and painted up. Then used resin on the feet to protect the paint. All good half a dozen uses later and the arm has bent down. I guess I will be going through the same process again just to get back to where I was.

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2019, 05:13:43 PM »
If it makes you feel better, a friend of mine (an engineering student) was working on putting together a new bike from the pieces of others, for like 2 years  He was emptying out the gasoline tank (into the driveway) and his roommate lit an empty can on fire with a match and was kicking it around, which ultimately caught the trail of gasoline, and lit the whole bike on fire, which he wheeled out of his garage and ran back and forth from inside to throw water on it with a bowl.

He also dropped my bike every time I lent it to him, so there's that.

Sorry to hear you're having so many problems!!! I feel pretty accomplished. I fixed the hydrolic system on a tractor yesterday (zero mechanical prowess here, just brute force and the observation that my uncle had completely ignored the color coding of the tubes), but now i have hydrolic splatter permanently in the crotch of my shorts.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2019, 09:29:04 PM »
Engineers are qualified beyond practical application It's safer for everyone if they remove their thumbs when they graduate. As a student your mate proved the point.

Gotta watch hydraulic juice mate it comes in anywhere from corrosive to downright dangerous depending on application, bleached shorts suggests you got off lightly.

Don't lend bikes to people who always drop them. I did watch someone leave their girlfriend as security on a test drive of a bike he was looking at buying(my she was pissed off) and having recklessly endangered his relationship got rearended on a roundabout wound up out of pocket and out of luck.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2019, 12:23:11 AM »
Well the Triumph got it's MOT today (Roadworthyness certificate) and the Divvie which was my only working bike needs some tlc tomorrow to keep it on the road. I am a slave to my vehicles.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2019, 07:54:25 AM »
Is it worth a "wahey"? You can ride it again?
 :D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Rostum

« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2019, 04:14:41 PM »
It's actually a bit scary as I have to learn the bike again. The riding position and set up do not feel natural after 6 months not riding it.

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2019, 07:32:47 PM »
It's actually a bit scary as I have to learn the bike again. The riding position and set up do not feel natural after 6 months not riding it.

It'll come back! Glad to hear you and your bike are all in one piece.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2019, 08:57:35 PM »
Yes ahey is a great description. I am much happier with a choice of bikes.

And I thank you sir!