March 19, 2019, 09:37:41 PM

Poll

Do you have an eReader, kindle or other?

Yes, and I love it, use it, carry a thousand books in my back pocket thanks to it.
10 (71.4%)
No, because *vague reasons, mostly primitive, like book glue sniffing addiction issues, and a love for carrying brick sized Sanderson books around to show the world I don't fuck about.*
2 (14.3%)
No, but I wish I did!
1 (7.1%)
Yes, but I use it as a literal paper-weight.
1 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: Random eReader poll  (Read 2117 times)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
Random eReader poll
« on: December 26, 2016, 11:38:27 PM »
Hello people.

I was going to ask around who had a kindle or kobo, because reasons—and realised there was no good place to ask that question guaranteeing optimum visibility.
Also, not sure we've had a rabid fight over paper-vs-eInk yet? Might have, but it must have been polite, so let's remedy that.

I'm one who went from pure book fan, almost seeing kindle people as gadgetophile peasants. I had a massive library. And then I had to travel the world, and I gave in. Bought one, and have been thoroughly converted.

It weighs nothing, thin as a novelette, easy to read and navigate, allows me to buy books from Amazon in one click and download samples, my new one even connects to my goodreads account and can offer to say I've started a book as I open it!
It carries hundreds of books, I can create highlights that are copied in a separate, self editing book of quotes... And the screen is just like normal paper. Also eating and reading become so tremendously easy, without page flipping or greasy fingers issues... Heaven!!

Anyway, what do you use? If you have an eReader, what brand is it?
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Mehman

Re: Random eReader poll
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 11:53:17 PM »
I have an iPad that I read almost everything on. It's an older model (second generation, I believe) but it gets the job done. I was once in the 'dead tree books are better' category, too. The only reason I bought my iPad was to help out a friend with money issues. It sat on a shelf for a month or two before I started reading on it.

At first, it felt like I was cheating on my paper books. I had a sizable library at this point but the main publisher I read only produced a certain amount of books and then they wouldn't print any more. Reading electronically expanded my library by a huge amount. I still try to get all my books on it but sometimes a paper book is more convenient. Traveling reasons mainly. I don't do a lot of that anymore so the iPad wins out.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 12:25:15 AM »
Hmmm. You're an inbetween I should have added on the poll. iPad aren't eReaders, because eReaders all use eInk technology to basically recreate a paper page. This makes it that you can read in full sun, but also that you don't get the constant flickering of the screen, that though unnoticeable, is very bad for the eyes.
However you get to read colour stuff, like comics, and have games as well and an easy internet access. So it's give and take.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 12:36:11 AM »
I use both, and as I graduated from a proper Kindle to a non-major brand tablet (for obvious size reasons), I've noticed two trends. I've become more selective in my paper books, but less selective in electronic formats, partly because they're cheaper and partly because it's seductively easy and instantaneous.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 12:55:35 AM »
I use both! Sometimes I get electronic books, sometimes I get paper. Depends on how much of an impulse buy it is, and what I'm in the mood for. I have managed to significantly shrink my bookshelves, however (used to move with like 5 boxes of books). As far as which e-readers I use, I have a Kindle Fire and my Android phone (with the Kindle app, it's identical, and even saves places in your books between devices) and plan to buy an old/cheap Nook soon, more to check formatting for my own books (on Nook) than because I'd actually use it.

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2016, 01:57:45 AM »
I use a device called a Braille Sense U2. It's supposed to be used for educational stuff, which I'm sure it might be when I get into college. But for now, I can download books on it and read them in braille. I also link it to my phone if the book I want isn't available, and I really want to read it.

A long time ago, I read all braille books. But I got tired of carrying around a heavy volume, reading the whole thing, and  not having the next volume right away. I stopped reading because of it for a while. Then I was stuck on audio books, but eventually got tired of those too. Now, most of my books are read with the Braille Sense.

I wish they made a Kindle with a braille display attached. I would buy that, or at least convince the government to pay the 5000 dollars they would charge for it.

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 09:51:19 AM »
I would say I do 80% of my reading physically, 20% electronically.

I bought an ereader to take on a five-week holiday, because carrying enough books to read for that period is impossible otherwise. It was fantastic for that purpose. It's definitely super convenient, but there are many ways in which I prefer paper - actually easier to read in some light conditions, for instance, and also I tend to flip about while reading, to check things, and that's fiendishly difficult with an ereader (or at least with mine).

But, in general, I don't buy books to read. I buy books to own, to place upon my shelves, to browse, to remember, to have weight in my life. (I almost always only buy books that I have read, and love.) Obviously ebooks can't fulfill that for me. Especially since you don't actually own ebooks. You can't lend them to friends. You can't leave them to your children.

Plus, as an Australian, I am bemused that it's harder to buy ebooks internationally than it is to buy physical books. Also, I sort of hate Amazon. (Which is why I have an ereader and not a Kindle.)

When it comes to just reading, I borrow from the library. I belong to two libraries, and while they both have digital collections, and possibly both digital collections are more extensive than their physical collections, the sorts of things I want to read are more likely to be found in the physical collection. (Just from my observations about what's represented in digital collections, I would assume that ebook licensing, especially of physically-in-print books, is financially problematic for libraries. Since I love libraries and am passionate about their place in a civilised society, I will fight for the ongoing place of physical books on that point alone.) But I borrow digitally if it's available. It's just so convenient.

Sometimes there is a book I really want to read, but the library doesn't have it. Sometimes I will buy it physically, but only if weight of probability suggests I'm going to love it. Sometimes I will instead acquire a pirated electronic copy, to test whether I like it. (If I then love it, I buy it legit.)

I almost never buy electronic books. (There is one lone exception, and that was a beloved childhood book only available electronically.) I have downloaded heaps of freebies. I have read practically none of them.

Price is not a consideration for me when buying books. If I like a book enough to buy it, then I want the author to get full contracted market price payment for it.

Offline Peat

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2016, 12:40:44 PM »
I have Kindle and various other e-reader programs on all my computers but no specific e-reader. I feel like the split between reading my book collection and my e-book collection is 50-50-ish but I'm buying a lot more e-books. If I'm reading a new book, its probably from the library or borrowed from elsewhere. That's partly economic considerations and partly because I'm picking up a lot of indie/small press authors. If its not borrowed, its probably second-hand.

The only reason I'd pick up a brand new paperback is I feel strongly about backing that author and there's currently no one on the market I feel that way about. Maybe when Peace Talks comes out.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2016, 01:03:33 PM »
I'm the one who voted for "No, because *vague reasons, mostly primitive, like book glue sniffing addiction issues, and a love for carrying brick sized Sanderson books around to show the world I don't fuck about.*"
 ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2016, 03:16:23 PM »
but there are many ways in which I prefer paper - actually easier to read in some light conditions, for instance

Which eReaders did you try? The eInk ones are quite the opposite. Same as paper, and the kindle paperwhite, which I just acquired, has a row of inlaid leds, which alow to read in the dark in the same way as if you had a small desk lamp strained on your book.
eBooks are mate :

And that's what mine looks like in the dark :

But again, it's not a screen, so you can read it for hours without damaging your eyes, and you can calibrate the lightness.
I've never encountered a single light condition that kept me from reading my ereader.

However when eating, I prop the kindle up against my glass or whatever, and eat with both hands, even with dirty fingers (burgers and co), tapping a knuckle against the side of my kindle to turn pages.
We all know the struggle of keeping a large paperback open without destroying its back.You have to weight it down, sacrifice a whole hand to it, or move the weight about and risk leaving grease marks.
Maybe you guys are more refrained than I am, or you have a social eating habit keeping you away from the lethal eating/reading combo, but I don't, and in that respect the ebook is incredibly superior.

@ultamentkiller wait, do the books you use need to be created for the Sense U2, or can you turn any file into something the U2 translates to braille? Because that would effectively turn it into an eReader in braille no? Is there a special format that the ebook has to be in?

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2016, 04:00:22 PM »
my kindle travels everywhere with me, tho, i don't hardly read on it.  and i almost never read physical books.

heh.  yeah.  seriously.

so, after doing some mental tabulation on how i consumed the last couple year's books, basically, my percentage breakdown sits like this:

7% read on my kindle
1% read physical book (maybe that much?  basically, half a robin hobb book in the last 5 years)
92% listen on my phone

and, no, i don't have a membership to audible.  which, yup, means my book consuming habits are bizarre.

like, cup, i buy physical books out of love.  for keepsakes.  to get signed.  to clutch warmly to my heart and transmit that love to the author.  it's my goal to eventually get all my favorite books/series all on hardback and signed.  it makes me giddy just thinking about it.

tho, where in the old days, i bought paperbacks to read and trade around with my friends, since the kindle came out, i've been all digital, all the time for my everyday reading.  and the amazon kindle store has been my primary acquisition source for novels.

with a couple interesting quid pro quos:

on audio books--
if the audiobook is a couple dollars more, i'll snag that baby too.  comes in really handy if i'm switching back and forth from text to audio.

on kindle pricing--
your kindle book HAS to be < $10.  even then, if it's $9.99?  i better really, really like you as an author.  no joke.  more than that is an goddamn price-gouging, marginal-cost-ignoring insult to a reader's intelligence, especially if your paperback is cheaper.  (i'm looking at you, brent weeks and fucking hachette)

more than $10 means i have options--
1) say "to hell with you" and don't give you the satisfaction of readership, much less a purchase, while telling everyone who will listen that you and your publisher are massive douche-canoes.

2) pirate the shit out of it and eventually buy a paperback or the kindle version when the price comes down.  if i remember.  if i liked the book.  otherwise, that author plunks back in the option 1 bucket.

or 3) in weeks' case, just hold tight, waiting for a price drop because i really like his lightbringer series and i'm pretty sure it's not his fault.  he needs a new publisher.  tho, honestly, his being a special case before reverting to option 1 is on a timer.  because, i dunno if he's noticed, but there's a TON of quality books out there ready to replace his because both my money and my time are finite.

obviously, since everything eventually pushes back to option 1, it's my favorite solution to the $10+ ebook crowd.  i feel like i am actively affecting the market to punish predatory pricing.  it gives me a legitimate knob to turn in a world where word-of-mouth is the precursor to money.

so.

uh.

anyway.

ranting aside.

i still haven't explained the listening part.

once i get the kindle book, i'll strip out the drm (why do people even use that anymore?  good lord, you'd think they'd have learned after blu-ray.  whoops.  sorry.  /rant-off!) and load the text into the program i wrote (because of course i did) that reads to me, while tracking the place in my book.  then, i'll listen to it on my 40-minute-one-way commute into work or when i go for a run or when i'm doing dishes before bed.  or, at any time i don't have headphones, i can just flip to the actual text and read normally.

so, basically, for the 92% of my "book consumption", if i don't have the $3 audiobook-add-on, i have amy or jess read the text to me.  because i like my book narrators to be cute british women.  *shrug*

p.s.  dammit.  speaking of amazon's whispersync audiobook add-on thing, i just went and checked on red seas under red skies -- they've got it!  *click*

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2016, 04:22:45 PM »
@ultamentkiller wait, do the books you use need to be created for the Sense U2, or can you turn any file into something the U2 translates to braille? Because that would effectively turn it into an eReader in braille no? Is there a special format that the ebook has to be in?
That's a complicated question. Most of the books I download from a website called Bookshare are in BRF, which is just a braille file. You could hook that up to an Embosser, which is basically a braille printer, and you would have a hard copy. There's also another format called Daisy, which allows you to jump by page and by chapter, but sadly most braille Notetakers don't have decent support for it, which makes no sense to me.

Now, here's the tricky thing. We can read most Epub formats. The issue is linking a braille display with one of the EReader devices that use Epub, which means carrying around two devices, which have two separate battery lives. When I was reading on my IPad with a braille display connected via Bluetooth, I managed to sync the two batteries closely together, but still. I had to charge two separate devices. That's one of the reasons I use Bookshare instead of buying the books. Also, since we can't have access to braille books through a normal library, Bookshare is sort of our substitute. I wish they would give the authors royalties, but that's a whole different topic.

I don't know if you remember our conversation from earlier, but keep in mind that most blind people don't read with braille displays like I do. So the EReader thing isn't an issue for them. They can use the Kindle app on their phones, and read in audio. Or buy books from Audible. I'm just picky. Braille provides a more immersive reading experience in my opinion. I think most blind people don't feel that way because they weren't provided with a proper braille education, but I do know some proficient braille readers who still use audio, so there's no way to tell until more of the blind community can make the choice for themselves.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2016, 04:59:30 PM »

But again, it's not a screen, so you can read it for hours without damaging your eyes, and you can calibrate the lightness.
I've never encountered a single light condition that kept me from reading my ereader.

Waittt, it's not not a screen and won't damage your eyes? Now that part seriously piqued my interest. As someone who had yet to reach 20 but had such a short eyesight I'm practically one step from being blind, reading from tablets are pretty out of the question. More infos please!

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2016, 10:12:55 PM »
Which eReaders did you try? The eInk ones are quite the opposite.... I've never encountered a single light condition that kept me from reading my ereader.

I have a Sony ereader. I believe it's eInk, since they pioneered the stuff. I've mostly encountered problems in very low light, and when the light is coming specifically from certain angles. I recall times when travelling when I was wanting to read without waking my husband, and while I would ordinarily have tipped the book to catch the light, the screen wouldn't do the same trick. Similarly, when I was breastfeeding the baby in the middle of the night, with very low light mostly coming from low and behind me, I couldn't make out my ereader, but I could tilt a physical book to catch the light. Unfortunately, one-handed reading a physical book is very difficult, so ultimately, I couldn't read while breastfeeding. But, in general, I find that physical paper has a certain reflective/luminous/light-catching quality that the eInk page does not.

This is a pretty nitpicky point, it just hit me at a couple of times when I desperately wanted to read, and couldn't.

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2016, 11:09:27 PM »
The low light condition was a problem for me as well till recently since I don't have any light in my room and Hey! SCOTLAND! With weak, clouded sunlight from 9am till 4pm.
So I bought the kindle paperweight and now have zero problems. It's a heaven of a tablet. I just wish it had the option of physical buttons besides the touch screen. Other than that, the led lighting makes it readable everywhere.
Maybe you're due for an upgrade on your bday? :-D

Inkslinger just google eInk and you'll find compelling arguments. The eReader tablets are design to reproduce book paper, and they don't flicker like a screen. They don't strain your eyes or give you a headache. The ink shifts each time you change a page, and then stays motionless. As to how it works, I don't know.
It's a matter of getting a real eReader, not an iPad or kindle fire. No tablet screen. Just eInk.