December 16, 2019, 12:23:27 PM

Author Topic: Quote your first post you ever did  (Read 2636 times)

Offline isos81

Re: Quote your first post you ever did
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2019, 02:35:06 PM »
(post 2 in the Team Challenge :) )

My first ever post was:

Hi all,

I am new in this forum and very much excited to be among you guys. I have been reading fantasy books for a very long time and I think I'm becoming more and more picky lately. That's why I need your help.

• Here are some books I enjoyed: Malazan, First Law, Wheel of Time, Lightbringer, Dark Elf Books, Eddings Books, Demon Cycle, Dark Tower, Harry Potter
  • Here are some books I was OK with: Mistborn, Acts of Caine, Earthsea, Long Price Quartet, Inheritance Trilogy (the 3rd book was very bad), Sword of Shannara
  • Here are some books I could not even finish: The Broken Earth, Prince of Nothing, Sword of Shannara, Magicians

There might be others I might have missed but this pretty much sums it all. I love epic fantasies with magic involved. What should I read next?

Thanks everyone
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 02:44:35 PM by isos81 »
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2019, 04:37:39 PM »

Pretty new to all this, so I hope it works. Sorry if I'm doing it wrong.

The story I'm planning at the moment is set in a nation ravaged by a plague for which there is no known cure. Basically, all of the major cities have blockaded themselves and some are quarantined. Smaller villages have become increasingly isolated (sometimes through choice) and there's hardly any trade as a result. What I was wondering is: How long could this sort of situation last? I want it to be a long-term problem, i.e. years, but I don't know if a city could last that long with only a few smugglers bring in food.

Also my world is very low magic and at a tech level where gunpowder is unknown (though there are printing presses in wealthier cities).

So, basically, how long could a blockaded and locked-in city of about 30,000 people last?

Thanks.

September 26, 2014.

I never did write that plague story...
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Online Bender

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2019, 05:05:51 PM »

Hi,

A fellow aficionado of fantasy/fiction signing in. This is my first book forum. Got to know about this place through a member in a football forum (where we inhabit a thread on fantasy books) and decided to sign up and try my hand in the story writing threads.

Looking forward to interacting with you all!

Ta
Bender

I've read Thomas Covenant long time before and can only remember incessant suffering by the protagonist. Don't think I'll read that series again.

AAs for Liveship, I've read most other series by this author except for this. Started a couple of times, but never got me going.

Think TC shades it for me!
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2019, 06:24:54 PM »
Heyho!
I'm Xiagan (@xiaiswriting) and I have to pay my respects to Overlord's tweeting abilities too. ;) I'm looking for a writing/reading fantasy forum for quite some time now and had a closer look into this one and a few others over the past months. This was the only one I repeatedly came back to because of @fantasyfaction's interesting tweets. Good job! :)

I live in Berlin, am thirty years old and write fantasy (YA, epic) for about 15 years now. I somehow spent my time in the indie gaming community and not in the indie writing community, though...
The only published works are academic stuff -yet, and a self-published short story collection (Fictional Times - A fabulous anthology of wondrous stories).
I have about 150k words in my drawer but haven't found a publisher for them yet.
At the moment I focus on short stories, inspired by Neil Gaiman's awesome collection 'Smoke and Mirrors'.

Last fantasy books I read were The Wise Man's Fear, Assassin's Apprentice, Towers of Midnight, the Secret of the immortal Nicholas Flamel: The Necromancer and Pratchett's Snuff.

I'm greatly anticipating the following books: A Memory of Light (R.Jordan/B.Sandersson), The Daylight Wars (P.V.Brett), The Kingkiller Chronicle III (P.Rothfuss), Mastiff (T.Pierce) and the Republic of Thieves + The Bastards and the knives: The Gentlemen Bastards -A prequel (S.Lynch).

See you in other topics and threads, I guess! If you have any questions, feel free to ask. :)

Good old times, eh?  :D
So, the Scavenger Hunt! We do something special for April (fools) every year and the brilliant idea I originally had... somehow vanished from my brain. ::) Hopefully I'll remember it for 2018. ;)
Anyway, this is 2017 and we're doing a Scavenger Hunt!

How?
You have to solve small riddles to find the location of the next hint. At the end you'll find this month's contest theme.

Please post the stories in the original April 2017 Scavenger Hunt topic.

I have no idea if the riddles are too hard or too easy and I don't know if you'll have more fun solving them together or alone.

If you've solved this way ahead of the others, please keep quiet and let the rest solve it on their time.
If you want to work together (or build teams - I have no idea how much this will take off), open an extra topic others can decide to read or not.

If you are absolutely not in the mood to participate in the hunt and want to have the theme now, write me a pm.

Questions?
Please ask them in the Scavenger Hunt Discussion topic.

First hint1
Depending on screen size is the first hint probably visible on your screen at the moment (not if you're on tapatalk, sorry).

"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Godling
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2019, 08:58:56 AM »
I'm happy to critique a chapter, you can reach me at magnus.heden@ymail.com
You can find stories on my Patreon
I'm also on Twitter and the Book of Faces