July 13, 2020, 02:33:39 AM

Author Topic: Politics and other ailments of the real world  (Read 338071 times)

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: Politics and other ailments of the real world
« Reply #3525 on: May 28, 2020, 09:51:23 PM »
You're right :(
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Rostum

« Reply #3526 on: May 29, 2020, 09:45:44 AM »
The lockdown was something the media seem to have demanded rather than it being government policy initially.
Has it been successful? We have detected 270,500 cases and had just short of 38,000 deaths which seems very high compared to say Italy or Spain. As a method of protecting people it's not been very helpful but the NHS seems to be functioning so if that was its goal then it has succeeded.

We have an older population than a lot of Europe, and we also detect and treat a lot of the underlying issues that add to the mortality rate so have been hit harder in that respect.

1st of June has been talked about as a change point for longer than the Cummings row. I think emphasis has probably been put on meeting people because Cummings bought it to the forefront of the media's attention.
A return to work may risk lives but a failing economy could do more harm long term.

Meanwhile, 5G masts are burnt down and now it looks like a Primary school has been torched presumably by those who know better than the experts

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #3527 on: May 29, 2020, 10:16:22 AM »
So... just how bad are things in America, with the protests and the riots?

I'm seeing footage of a Minneapolis police station being overrun and burned down, other buildings looted and torched, and apparently the National Guard is being called in. And apparently the riots/protests are spreading.

Are things taking on a Hong Kong feel over there, or what?
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline Rostum

« Reply #3528 on: May 29, 2020, 11:04:28 AM »
The Minnesota riots relate to the killing of George Floyd whom police had in handcuffs and an officer knelt on his neck for several minutes until he died.

There was rioting and the usual looting of private businesses that seem to go on every time a black man dies at the hands of the police. The 3rd precinct was set alight. I don't know how much damage was done but I doubt it was burnt down. police stations tend to be big places full of people used to being around fires. Trump tweeted the National Guard should restore order, but that's not his decision to make unless he takes federal control.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 12:01:03 PM by Rostum »

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #3529 on: May 29, 2020, 11:44:44 AM »
The terrible situation between police departments and black citizens seems like it will never get better. It’s deeply discouraging to me, who isn’t impacted. I can’t imagine the feelings in the impacted communities. And I feel, too, for police, who will say they are under pressure and risk of attack 24/7. But the frequency of these killings by police, unprosecuted white-on-black murders, etc. speaks to a real issue that I think many white police don’t want to admit to, or will excuse. (“It’s where the crime is. So shit’s going to happen.)

No, I don’t believe this is Hong Kong. These riots will burn themselves out in a few days or weeks at most. They won’t spread to every major city.

Meanwhile, Trump would love to see that happen. Then he can bluster and threaten even more. He’d love to send in the  National Guard, guns blazing. That won’t happen either. But his disgusting rants will inflame his vase and find an echo in more racist and classist rhetoric and crimes.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 11:50:30 AM by JMack »
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Rostum

« Reply #3530 on: May 29, 2020, 01:33:48 PM »
Donut Operator is an ex-police officer and does police content on YouTube generally defending police shootings as lawful (not necessarily moral) by showing body cam footage or the full film not just the clip used to set the narrative on twitter. For which he has been stalked and had death threats against himself and his family. If he is criticizing the police you know there is a serious case to answer here.

The second half of the video is Ryan Tillman who is a veteran police officer keen to break down barriers between the police and community at large.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgghI3WPSLw

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #3531 on: May 29, 2020, 06:02:31 PM »
Compare this more to the Summer of 2014 Ferguson, MO riots rather than the Hong Kong riots. They are two drastically different situations, yet both equally tragic.

My frustration currently is why my fellow Millennial and Gen Z friends who consistently post "Justice for X," yet in no way understand that when their age demographic's voter turnout is 30%, of course we have these problems. Informal political opinion measures pale in comparison to simply voting, to the point where I argue that if you don't vote, your political opinion doesn't really matter. Case in point: the mayor of my college town (30,000 pop.) was elected in 2018 by just shy of 1K people in total. Let that sink in. The elected position that has the structural power to hire/fire the City Manager, who then has the ability to set internal administrative policy for the Police Chief and Police Department, was elected by 1K people. These aren't federal or state issues that can be solved by federal or state agencies. Local governments have substantially more sway over one's quality of life, but people write them off because local politics are boring. Many of our structural issues wouldn't be so much of an issue if people just barely left of center would get out and vote, but instead we moan and complain on social media then do nothing when we have two weeks of early voting (in Texas at least).

Rant over.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

For book reviews - https://acerbicwriting.com/

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #3532 on: June 01, 2020, 03:44:13 PM »
I just heard that one of the oldest independent SF bookstore in the US, Uncle Hugo's got burned down during the riot. GOD DAMN IT BOOKSTORES ARE OFF LIMITS!!! *jumping mad emoji*

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #3533 on: June 01, 2020, 05:09:52 PM »
@Doctor_Chill

people just barely left of center

You and me both.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Online Peat

« Reply #3534 on: June 01, 2020, 07:40:10 PM »
The reluctance of people to seize hold of democratic levels is infuriating. I think it was the cartoonist Scott Adams who said all forms of government oppressed someone, and democracy was the best as it oppressed the stupid and the lazy who were the least likely to complain about it. Pretty depressing take, but don't think he was that far wrong about it.

Also pretty depressing is the inability of so many people to call for the end of prejudice without vehemently expressing their own. Even if it was fair, it'd still be the dumbest possible way to try and win an argument.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #3535 on: June 01, 2020, 08:21:40 PM »
I just hope that all you american friends are safe, and if you are out protesting, please take all precautionary measures *hugs*
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #3536 on: June 03, 2020, 02:10:11 AM »
I just hope that all you american friends are safe, and if you are out protesting, please take all precautionary measures *hugs*

I’m just deeply sad for my country.
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline hexa

« Reply #3537 on: June 06, 2020, 12:28:19 AM »
France slays al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (North Africa)

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-52943692

Offline Rostum

« Reply #3538 on: June 06, 2020, 02:51:29 AM »
Indeed, The French Had the Legion out in force in Mali 5 years ago where they policed up a lot of very old guns and shot a few crazies. At the time some analysts said that the extreme Islamists had allowed them to fulfil  their mission criteria and most of them were recalled or rotated out.

Offline hexa