February 24, 2020, 06:10:06 PM

Author Topic: Politics and other ailments of the real world  (Read 309564 times)

Offline Rostum

Re: Politics and other ailments of the real world
« Reply #3480 on: January 23, 2020, 12:57:19 PM »
Corona virus or at least this iteration of it is not going to reach epidemic status anywhere. The reason it travels is simply that people and goods do. a real world killer is going to have a long incubation period or show mild (say common cold like symptoms) for a couple of weeks then hit you with the real vial payload.

Inky I would be more concerned with looking both ways when crossing the road.

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Half a King
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
« Reply #3481 on: January 23, 2020, 01:04:27 PM »
Also, as long as your basic health is decent and you have access to a hospital, viral pneumonia won't kill you.

It will suck because you can't actually treat the disease, only alleviate some of the symptoms. But it won't kill you.
You can find stories on my Patreon
I'm also on Twitter and the Book of Faces

Online Bender

« Reply #3482 on: January 23, 2020, 03:01:42 PM »
There is once case in Seattle too. Made it to this side of the world!  :(
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Online Eli_Freysson

« Reply #3483 on: January 24, 2020, 10:41:21 AM »
This feels an awful lot like the media stirring up a panic for the sake of clicks. No, it's not good that people have died, but the scale of fatalities so far is really low. There are plenty of other things to worry about in life.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Online Bender

« Reply #3484 on: January 24, 2020, 04:32:26 PM »
This feels an awful lot like the media stirring up a panic for the sake of clicks. No, it's not good that people have died, but the scale of fatalities so far is really low. There are plenty of other things to worry about in life.

I don't think so. Chinese govt has been taking drastic measures and more than 50m people have been preventatively quarantined. Some chinese companies in NY have proactively asked their staff who have visited china in past month to self quarantine and work from home as much as possible.

This does have the capacity to become a epidemic and I think being a bit scared is probably a good thing. Better safe than sorry.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Online Eli_Freysson

« Reply #3485 on: January 24, 2020, 06:56:08 PM »

I don't think so. Chinese govt has been taking drastic measures and more than 50m people have been preventatively quarantined. Some chinese companies in NY have proactively asked their staff who have visited china in past month to self quarantine and work from home as much as possible.

This does have the capacity to become a epidemic and I think being a bit scared is probably a good thing. Better safe than sorry.

Perhaps. I just remember the original bird flu business ultimately coming to nothing.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #3486 on: January 25, 2020, 07:42:51 AM »

+1 for this. China is definitely taking it seriously, since the outbreak happened on their home turf. People who lived in countries further away from the starting point of an outbreak felt less of an impact whenever things like these happened, so it would be understandable that they would comment as if nothing remarkable is happening, while in facts things are escalating at quite a speed. Less exposure in local media = less knowledge = less attention, I'd reckon.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 07:50:46 AM by S. K. Inkslinger »

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #3487 on: January 29, 2020, 08:27:40 AM »
So, there have been a total of 14 confirmed cases in Thailand with corona virus. My plan for now is pretty much to stay cooped in and interact with the world as less as I can. (which I'm already doing anyway) Hope everything goes well and this blows out soon.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 08:38:13 AM by S. K. Inkslinger »

Online Eli_Freysson

« Reply #3488 on: January 29, 2020, 11:34:15 AM »
So, there have been a total of 14 confirmed cases in Thailand with corona virus. My plan for now is pretty much to stay cooped in and interact with the world as less as I can. (which I'm already doing anyway) Hope everything goes well and this blows out soon.

There ARE benefits to being antisocial.

Good luck.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #3489 on: January 29, 2020, 02:25:27 PM »

There ARE benefits to being antisocial.

Good luck.

I'm definitely quoting this whenever anyone ask me why I never go out anywhere, hahah.  ;D Eli, I dubbed thee Master Quotable!

Online Bender

« Reply #3490 on: January 29, 2020, 03:36:29 PM »
Not to be pedantic, but I believe the right term is Asocial. Asocial is for introverts whereas Anti-social is for miscreants and worse.

Spoiler for Hiden:

8)

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Half a King
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
« Reply #3491 on: January 29, 2020, 03:47:18 PM »
Introverts aren't asocial, either. Very few people are, as humans are social animals, but many express it in different ways than what's considered 'acceptable' (or in some cases, fail to express it). Introverts just process social encounters differently, the main difference being that it takes more energy for us to engage socially. I can be quite gregarious for a while, once I get going (or more often, someone else gets me going), but the next day I'll have a hangover (even if I didn't drink any alcohol).
You can find stories on my Patreon
I'm also on Twitter and the Book of Faces

Offline Rostum

« Reply #3492 on: January 29, 2020, 10:38:50 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-51298820

This is major for the UK our railways were privatised and in effect fell into the hands of nationalised European rail companies who make far greater profits than they are allowed to at home. We have terrible service and higher prices as a result. I am suprised this is on Boris Johnsons to do list, but think it is a smart and necessary move.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #3493 on: February 06, 2020, 09:27:39 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51399355

And I was looking foward to my racially diverse covered copy of Mein Kampf. I am fairly sure that promoting black writers would have been a better option but what do I know.