December 14, 2019, 03:35:00 PM

Author Topic: Politics and other ailments of the real world  (Read 289062 times)

Offline Skip

Re: Politics and other ailments of the real world
« Reply #3360 on: November 15, 2019, 07:52:14 PM »
> complaining about people over 40
Happens all the time. I'm an "old, white male" so I get to hear about that stereotype frequently. It doesn't bother me much. As a historian, I understand that scapegoats are universal, that most people view the world in simplistic terms, and that news is only one source for information. All that said, I also recognize that some stereotypes are more than that--they're cover for misogyny, racism, xenophobia, and other charms of the human spirit. Truly terrible things happen under that cover.

Also, mine's the generation that said don't trust anyone over thirty. So there's that. <g>
Visit Altearth

Offline Rostum

« Reply #3361 on: November 15, 2019, 08:29:21 PM »
Blaming Poor people and immigrants is traditional. When Goats need to be scaped they will be top of the list. So long as this is not the feeling you get from your social interactions I would compartmentalize it as a media thing. While it may be of no conciliation I remember anti immigrant  feeling being far worse in the mid seventies.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #3362 on: November 21, 2019, 07:53:16 AM »
Things I don't understand:
- people who value their party/group/club more than truth, fairness, justice
- people who drive big cars without need for the space (i.e. big family, home business, etc)
- people who attack others online
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Bender

« Reply #3363 on: November 21, 2019, 11:21:10 AM »
- people who drive big cars without need for the space (i.e. big family, home business, etc)

First point is normal in any close knit community like police, Army, Sports teams, religion, immigrants in foreign society....the sense of obligation to person outweighs obligation to society. I've known incidents where people turn blind eye to an illegal act simply because the people involved came from same country or attend same school etc. Nobody likes snitches.

As to big car, I don't find it wrong. It's just personal preference. There is actually no correlation between a want and a need.

And finally being online provides a sense of distance and anonymity to actions. Your baser instincts kick in usually.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #3364 on: November 21, 2019, 12:34:51 PM »

First point is normal in any close knit community like police, Army, Sports teams, religion, immigrants in foreign society....the sense of obligation to person outweighs obligation to society. I've known incidents where people turn blind eye to an illegal act simply because the people involved came from same country or attend same school etc. Nobody likes snitches.

As to big car, I don't find it wrong. It's just personal preference. There is actually no correlation between a want and a need.

And finally being online provides a sense of distance and anonymity to actions. Your baser instincts kick in usually.

1 - You can explain, I still don't understand/accept. The values are bigger than that misguided 'sense of obligation'. I also never understood that "nobody likes snitches" expression - that should only apply for little things, not the big ones

2 - Spoken like an american, where petrol is really cheap ;) and for environmental reasons, of course: I'm feeling a bit guilty that I'm going with a hybrid instead of full electric for my next company car, only to have my efforts further deleted by SUVs increasing in sales

Offline Bender

« Reply #3365 on: November 22, 2019, 01:29:20 AM »

1 - You can explain, I still don't understand/accept. The values are bigger than that misguided 'sense of obligation'. I also never understood that "nobody likes snitches" expression - that should only apply for little things, not the big ones

2 - Spoken like an american, where petrol is really cheap ;) and for environmental reasons, of course: I'm feeling a bit guilty that I'm going with a hybrid instead of full electric for my next company car, only to have my efforts further deleted by SUVs increasing in sales

1. I mean sense of camaraderie is stronger with individuals than any commitment to society which comparitively more distant. One is actual and current personal concept and other is a vague moral concept.

2. Who said I was American?  ;D or that only Americans like big cars?  ;)
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

Offline hexa

« Reply #3366 on: November 22, 2019, 02:35:02 AM »

How do you feel about salad cream?

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #3367 on: November 22, 2019, 07:53:45 AM »
You live there, get the environment, hehe
And I didn't, my direct annoyance are with big cars in the UK in particular (and then across the world in general, hehe)

How do you feel about salad cream?
???
Anyway, I have no opinion on salad cream, I've just used it once or twice ;D

Offline Bender

« Reply #3368 on: November 22, 2019, 10:38:10 PM »
You live there, get the environment, hehe
And I didn't, my direct annoyance are with big cars in the UK in particular (and then across the world in general, hehe)

Big cars might be a kind of macho thing, but God they do look so much better than the usual Honda's and Hyundai's you see on road. My wife's cousin bought a Tesla last month and it looks ok on outside and just horrible on inside...but has good features. I'd love to buy a proper American muscle car, a Mustang or similar but then missus would probably shoot me and hide my body in the trunk.

There a lady who lives in same building as me who owns a big candy pink Jeep with off-road tires, whose headlights have eyelashes. So yeah, can't account for taste  ;D

Offline Rostum

« Reply #3369 on: November 24, 2019, 11:05:34 AM »
You save nothing by consuming and definately not the planet. Cars are dirty technology if they are burning hydrocarbons or running on fuel cells. Battery technology is about as dirty as it gets, but thats all been legislated out of the EU now so China and India take on the pollution for making the batteries for your 'green cars'.

The real question to ponder is how taking a flight is somehow greener than taking a train? it is amazing what can be acheived if you know how to play the game and can abuse the rules.

In 1859 the first commercial oil derrick was built world population was 1.1 billion this may be an important number in the future when we are trying to survive without fuel, meds and fertilizer.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #3370 on: November 24, 2019, 01:40:58 PM »
You save nothing by consuming and definately not the planet.
Sure, but you agree that some things harm less than others, and it's those choices that have to be made, right?

For example, I know that a (strong) plastic bag is still a plastic bag, but the one I'm using now was bought over 10 years ago and is used basically every week. It has to be better in general than the plastic bags that some people buy every time "because it's just 5p and I forgot the ones I have at home".

Offline Bender

« Reply #3371 on: November 24, 2019, 02:59:39 PM »
I'm ambivalent towards Plastic bags. It's recently been banned in shops where I live and I find it a big nuisance. Buying stuff is not always planned and nobody carries an empty bag everywhere. Last week I was walking back from pub and found that the farmers market was still open. Made an impromptu decision to buy some groceries and the paper bag broke halfway back. Same happened before when my wife felt unwell and asked me to get some dinner on way back from work.

Paper bags are practically useless and again not sure how environment friendly they are (how many trees do we need to cut if their usage increases more).

Reusable plastic straddles a compromise, but then carrying one isn't really practical.

There are no environment friendly options out there. Just ones that are various degrees "less unfriendly".

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #3372 on: November 24, 2019, 04:06:41 PM »
nobody carries an empty bag everywhere.
I do ;D
Sorry, had to say it, hehe. It's one of those that fold into a small bunch. Most of my friends do too, I wonder if it's a men/women thing, we usually have handbags...

Here in the UK plastic bags haven't been banned altogether, but you must pay 5 or 10p for one.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 04:08:17 PM by ScarletBea »

Offline isos81

« Reply #3373 on: November 25, 2019, 07:45:28 AM »
Plastic bags are no longer free in Turkey, they are sold. The government wishes to decrease the usage of plastic though I highly suspect they aim to gain additional taxes (bags are sold at 0.25 try and more than half is taxes).
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Rostum

« Reply #3374 on: November 26, 2019, 11:53:52 AM »
Sure, but you agree that some things harm less than others, and it's those choices that have to be made, right?

No generally both harm but some actions  harm slower as a rule. If we have inevitably destroyed ourselves as a species. (The planet will continue just fine without us for a while longer.) Is it better to start the die off when world population is 7.8 billion or slow it down so it starts when we hit 12 billion?