January 18, 2020, 11:20:41 AM

Author Topic: Politics and other ailments of the real world  (Read 300183 times)

Offline Eli_Freysson

Re: Politics and other ailments of the real world
« Reply #3330 on: October 29, 2019, 12:49:22 PM »
I feel for the eight year old boy that just wanted to be loved, but I'm afraid he's dead for a long time and now we got this thing that pretends it is a normal human being (or even a stable genius).

I would say Trump would make for a good fictional villain, except his behaviour is way too outlandish and ridiculous.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #3331 on: October 29, 2019, 07:35:53 PM »
I feel for the eight year old boy that just wanted to be loved, but I'm afraid he's dead for a long time and now we got this thing that pretends it is a normal human being (or even a stable genius).

I would say Trump would make for a good fictional villain, except his behaviour is way too outlandish and ridiculous.

If one good thing comes out of this nightmare, it will be people finally basing their fictional evil empires on someone other than the Nazis.

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #3332 on: October 29, 2019, 10:11:37 PM »

If one good thing comes out of this nightmare, it will be people finally basing their fictional evil empires on someone other than the Nazis.

The Nazis at least had a stylish dress sense and a competent military machine. Trumpism is just a sleazy, confused mess of idiocy.

Which, granted, could serve as a stark look at how real-life villainy generally is, in its most basic form.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 10:49:18 PM by Eli_Freysson »

Offline Bender

« Reply #3333 on: October 30, 2019, 10:34:10 AM »
Come on people, this is getting over the top. Nazism was evil unparalleled. Very few leaders can be even spoken in same circles as Hitler (Stalin Pol Pot etc). I get the Trump hatred but always get annoyed by Nazi comparison. It's not even close. Let's not dilute Nazi atrocities by comparing them with Trump.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline isos81

« Reply #3334 on: October 30, 2019, 11:04:22 AM »
Nazism was evil unparalleled

Agreed. This comparison does not make sense at all.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #3335 on: October 30, 2019, 03:08:15 PM »
I wasn't making a direct comparison. Just saying that "trumpism" wouldn't work as well in fiction.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3336 on: October 30, 2019, 07:36:26 PM »
Come on people, this is getting over the top. Nazism was evil unparalleled. Very few leaders can be even spoken in same circles as Hitler (Stalin Pol Pot etc). I get the Trump hatred but always get annoyed by Nazi comparison. It's not even close. Let's not dilute Nazi atrocities by comparing them with Trump.
Oh, it has some scary parallels to how fascism started in Germany.
So comparing the Trump regime to Germany in 1936-39 is legit, imho.
Of course it doesn't make sense to compare it to 1940-45 with the Holocaust and the war/occupation of other countries.

In general I'd be cautious with saying "XY is not as bad as YZ" because YZ was once not as bad as it later became and we can't know what the future brings. Playing down atrocities, like the concentration camps for children at the Mexican border, is extremely dangerous.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Bender

« Reply #3337 on: October 30, 2019, 08:29:02 PM »
Not every rise in right wing beliefs can be associated as parallel to Nazism. The detention camps are a blot on any civilized society and there's no humane justification for them.

For one the detention camps did exist under Obama too, just that Trump ratcheted up the scale and coverage. Secondly, the acts are not racially or ethnically motivated, but rather a policy decision. It's a shame that the Dems are content to play politics rather than work to help these people. Apart from both being prison, there literally is no comparing the situations in a Border detention camp with what happened in Auschwitz etc.

In all honesty, I can think of worst leaders than Trump currently. Duerte in Philippines, Bolsanaro in Brazil, Maduro in Venezuela....
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 08:33:05 PM by Bender »
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Bender

« Reply #3338 on: October 30, 2019, 08:34:41 PM »
Just realized I'm actually defending Trump here. Yikes!  >:(

I consider him a despicable and immoral scumbag, but nowhere close to Hitler.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3339 on: October 30, 2019, 09:03:48 PM »
Just realized I'm actually defending Trump here. Yikes!  >:(

I consider him a despicable and immoral scumbag, but nowhere close to Hitler.
I agree. He's not intelligent enough, most likely a marionette played by foreign powers, has low mental health and probably dementia.

And there are worse leaders than Trump, no question.

What his administration (and the GOP) have in common with the Nazi regime is Hannah Arendt's banality of evil.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Online Rostum

« Reply #3340 on: October 31, 2019, 10:52:52 AM »
The purpose of Government is to maintain the status Quo. It is extremely hard to repurpose the mechanism of government against its historic beliefs. Trump may have swung the Republicans further to the right than they traditionally would have been centred but to get the millions of people who carry out the function of government to fall into lockstep is unlikely to happen. There is a reason Presidents are elected for 4 years and a maximum of 2 consecutive terms.

Online Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Godling
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
« Reply #3341 on: October 31, 2019, 02:05:34 PM »
The purpose of Government is to maintain the status Quo.

I absolutely disagree. The purpose of a democratic government is to serve the people it represents, even if that means making changes. Error-correction is an essential part of the democratic system. It's when that fails that democracy fails, i.e. when bad laws, policies, and politicians are allowed to remain.
You can find stories on my Patreon
I'm also on Twitter and the Book of Faces

Offline Bender

« Reply #3342 on: October 31, 2019, 02:30:11 PM »
If all governments maintained status quo we'd still have slavery, no women or LGBT rights etc. Purpose should be to adapt to changes, esp for a non religion based government.

Few make decisions in any government and the rest of bulk just carry it out, like it or not.

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #3343 on: October 31, 2019, 04:43:27 PM »
As I understood it Rostum's point wasn't that governments SHOULD maintain the status quo but that that's how the system is set up.

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #3344 on: October 31, 2019, 06:30:45 PM »
I wouldn't say I'm a hardcore democrat, in the sense that I agree wholeheartedly with Churchill's description of it as the 'worst possible system, except for all the others'.

But the greatest strength of any democracy is term limits, and there should never, in my opinion, under any circumstances, be more than two. Any leader in power for too long, regardless of how well they governed at the start, will end up both tyrannical and incompetent.

Any leader who even mentions the phrase 'third term' in passing should be instantly thrown in prison. Every time someone has managed to amend the constitution to get a third term, he's still been in power thirty years later and doing a pretty poor job of it.

For me it's more important for a system to purge bad leaders than to select good ones.