November 15, 2019, 04:32:10 PM

Author Topic: Politics and other ailments of the real world  (Read 276736 times)

Offline Bender

Re: Politics and other ailments of the real world
« Reply #3300 on: October 04, 2019, 09:37:53 PM »
Sooo... you Americans...

Things certainly seem to be heating up around President Lear.

I'm curious how the general feel of this whole thing is outside of shouting news clips.

Nothing has changed. I don't believe Dems have votes for an impeachment and probably won't have.

Rinse and repeat.
Not all those who wander are lost

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #3301 on: October 05, 2019, 01:48:02 PM »
If you have some time, read this:
https://waitbutwhy.com/2019/09/thinking-ladder.html
Amazing to understand how people think in different situations, super-applicable to politics nowadays...
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Rostum

« Reply #3302 on: October 10, 2019, 12:56:43 AM »
So much to say about the state of several nations at the moment, but I have had a beer or two so I won't.

Online Neveesandeh

« Reply #3303 on: October 10, 2019, 09:53:49 AM »
I've been reading Patrick Kingsley's 'The New Odyssey' about the refugee crisis, and it's quite a harrowing and eye opening read. It's ridiculous how easily things could have been resolved if people were willing to set aside their differences rather than point fingers and kick the can down the road. It also provides yet another reason to hate President Sisi, because not only did he refuse to let Syrian refugees work in Egypt, he also tried to deport them back to Syria. I hope the current protests grow into something more and he goes the same way as Mubarak, but that's probably just wishful thinking.

Although, I felt the same way about Omar Al-Bashir, and he's now gone, so you never know.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #3304 on: October 11, 2019, 01:35:02 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-50000646

I note yet again America arms and trains an ally abroad and abandons them when their purpose is served and trade is threatened.

Offline Bender

« Reply #3305 on: October 11, 2019, 03:39:52 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-50000646

I note yet again America arms and trains an ally abroad and abandons them when their purpose is served and trade is threatened.

Not sure if its trade related...I'd put this down to Trump's self righteous view, ignorance of local geopolitical implications and total disregard of long term consequences of his actions.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #3306 on: October 11, 2019, 11:33:24 PM »
Hey what do I know you may well be right and it has nothing to do with Turkey being the biggest non domestic customer for the (still mythical) F35B as well as being a major supplier to the F35 programme.

The fact remains that America pulled its Rangers (and other SF types) out prior to Turkey launching a ground and air offensive against The Kurdish forces who have proved extremely effective in destroying ISIS within Syria. With American backing, training and armament all of which has alarmed Turkey. Now that the last town held by ISIS has fallen it looks like the USA had colluded with Turkey in advance. The USA looks anything but an honest broker in this.

Oh and Trump can hardly be expected to know that there were 10 companies of Kurds serving with 14th army group (later with the RAF levies) and even a detachment with Royal Marine Commando who fought in Albania, Greece and Italy but thats the Commonwealth army of Great Britian after all.

On a slightly different note Anne Sacoolas the wife of an American Air Force communuications expert has fled the Uk after being granted diplomatic immunity and telling police she had no intention  to leave. She was driving on the wrong side of the road at the time she struck a 19 year old motorcyclist. A disgusting abuse of DI and another example of American exceptionalism, The rule of law doesn't apply to us.
This has been aided and abetted by a fawning UK government that has handed the USA the initiative in this matter instead of demanding her return.

Offline Bender

« Reply #3307 on: October 12, 2019, 02:00:30 AM »
Can't disagree. America started supporting Kurds as buffer to IS and now that seems to be forgotten in Trump's agenda. On pointing out his reply was "They'll (IS) go to Europe", which is incredibly short sighted and suicidal in long term.

He's intent on destroying any credibility on IS commitment which would make the rest of world lose trust in them. He's inviting more IS attacks with his short sightedness

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #3308 on: October 16, 2019, 12:10:50 PM »
@isos81, feel free to ignore if you don't want to talk politics, but what's the general view inside the country about what the Turkish president is doing?
Is it like Brexit where half the country like him and the other half is appalled?

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline isos81

« Reply #3309 on: October 16, 2019, 12:31:40 PM »
@isos81, feel free to ignore if you don't want to talk politics, but what's the general view inside the country about what the Turkish president is doing?
Is it like Brexit where half the country like him and the other half is appalled?

Well, this could take hours if not days but I might clear some points from my viewpoint.

It's exactly how you described Bea. Half the country hates the man and the other half worships him. As for me, I never voted for him and I despise his political view.

He took the country to the brink of civil war. We're currently at war (some argue that we are not at war) in Syria against PKK (our long lasting terrorist group, don't know their English name). We also had a failed coup (fortunately) in 2016. This was a radical Islam group directed by Fethullah Gulen who was respected by the very people who hate him now (I disliked him almost all my life, not only after his failed coup attempt). The president was the main reason why Gulen could gather such power (some argue he is an agent of the USA) in the first place. He created his own rich people and he himself gathered so much wealth that I assume he has billions of dollars. Governmental organizations were sold to partizan business men to a low price (which were sold later twice and thrice more). He always used both religion and religous people to manipulate his supporter half and so on..

Well, I might add some more but I'm not sure if I should. Is there any specifics you would like to know?

Ps: These are my own thoughts and might not represent the majority. And sorry for my grammar mistakes.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #3310 on: October 16, 2019, 12:38:51 PM »
Thanks, it was more a general question.
The things that get reported here might be slanted to a "western" point of view and I wasn't sure how things were viewed right there. Everything sounds really scary.

People are talking about boycotting stuff made in Turkey, but I'm not sure how effective that is, and if it'd end up affecting innocent people like you...

Offline isos81

« Reply #3311 on: October 16, 2019, 03:06:16 PM »
Thanks, it was more a general question.
The things that get reported here might be slanted to a "western" point of view and I wasn't sure how things were viewed right there. Everything sounds really scary.

People are talking about boycotting stuff made in Turkey, but I'm not sure how effective that is, and if it'd end up affecting innocent people like you...

Trump once increased taxes on some imported goods and USD/TRY parity doubled. Since then, the prices are almost doubled. 1 USD is almost 6 TRY. That means, we need to pay 4 to 6 times more.

I often think about moving... This country is going downhill...
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Yora

« Reply #3312 on: October 16, 2019, 08:05:09 PM »
Wait until the next election. Then you will know if the country regrets its horrible mistake or says "Let's do this again."
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

Online Neveesandeh

« Reply #3313 on: October 17, 2019, 11:40:06 AM »
Looking at Trump's statements on Syria and Turkey, I have to wonder, is he okay? I mean, he's always been rambling and incoherent, but before it seemed more like an act to make him more relatable to his voter base. Now, his latest statements make it look like he has barely any idea of what he's saying. It's like he's changing his mind every minute.

Online Eli_Freysson

« Reply #3314 on: October 17, 2019, 07:10:58 PM »
Looking at Trump's statements on Syria and Turkey, I have to wonder, is he okay? I mean, he's always been rambling and incoherent, but before it seemed more like an act to make him more relatable to his voter base. Now, his latest statements make it look like he has barely any idea of what he's saying. It's like he's changing his mind every minute.

There is a credible theory that he is in the early stages of dementia. He's been caught on video just suddenly wandering away before being intercepted and reminded of what he's supposed to be doing, and his father did die of Alzheimer's.

Also, this simply isn't a man who can handle being cornered.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!