October 17, 2019, 05:22:45 PM

Author Topic: Politics and other ailments of the real world  (Read 268229 times)

Offline Rostum

Re: Politics and other ailments of the real world
« Reply #3285 on: September 18, 2019, 09:01:15 AM »
or perhaps don't feel an arbitary line on a map is relevent to them in any way at all. If you are British you are in a strange place usually only some of the English feel British. I am fairly sure if you asked Saraband would tell you he feels Portuguese and Scottish. The Welsh or Irish have rarely been known to use British as well.

Language is probably a big part of it, Something that is taught about as badly as possible in the UK and not aided by the rest of the worlds ability to speak English or at least American.

On a more localised note.

"My Dad says that being a Londoner has nothing to do with where you're born. He says that there are people who get off a jumbo jet at Heathrow, go through immigration waving any kind of passport, hop on the tube and by the time the train's pulled into Piccadilly Circus they've become a Londoner.”

Ben Aaronovitch

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #3286 on: September 18, 2019, 09:47:35 AM »
Yes, I wasn't questioning the ability to feel like you belong in a country, it was more the idea that you had to choose a single one.

For me, feeling portuguese or british (or english, or even in my case, yorkshire lass hehe), has got to do with ways of doing things, things you enjoy, where you feel comfortable, where you have your friends, food you like and a bunch of other things hard to define. It doesn't prevent 'multiple feelings'.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #3287 on: September 18, 2019, 01:36:36 PM »
I went to Wales recently, and it was quite a surreal experience. Wales is far more linked to England than Scotland and Ireland, it's even part of the Kingdom of England (Which is why the Welsh dragon isn't on the Union flag), but they still have their own language, which has nothing at all in common with English and quite a lot of them still speak it. It was at once like being in a foreign country and being in the same country, if that makes sense.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #3288 on: September 18, 2019, 03:41:00 PM »
It does make sense, and I felt similarly when I visited a couple of years ago.

I also remember when I went to Ireland about 15 years ago (maybe more), and I went to Dublin and then Belfast. In Belfast a guy saw me with a map and started chatting, and I told him how Belfast felt both british and irish. When he asked me how, I said that it had the british order and way of doing things but with an irish feeling and sentiment, and he laughed :)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #3289 on: September 24, 2019, 05:53:53 PM »
So....

Boris Johnson has been found to have broken the law and Donald Trump is being accused of flat-out treason, which apparently by US law carries the death penalty.

Thoughts?
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3290 on: September 24, 2019, 08:22:15 PM »
So....

Boris Johnson has been found to have broken the law and Donald Trump is being accused of flat-out treason, which apparently by US law carries the death penalty.

Thoughts?
This will of course go the way of the Panama Papers and the Epstein scandal.  :P
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #3291 on: September 24, 2019, 09:03:43 PM »
Boris has repeatedly lied about various things and it hasn't hurt his career in the slightest. Him and Trump are going to get off scot-free like they always do. Though Trump probably will have an easier time of it than Boris. Boris is still answerable to parliament and the Party.

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #3292 on: September 24, 2019, 09:14:44 PM »
So....

Thoughts?
This will of course go the way of the Panama Papers and the Epstein scandal.  :P

Well, Epstein is dead.

Have they just dropped investigations into all his cohorts/clients?

Offline Rostum

« Reply #3293 on: September 24, 2019, 10:19:27 PM »
Boris has repeatedly lied about various things and it hasn't hurt his career in the slightest. Him and Trump are going to get off scot-free like they always do. Though Trump probably will have an easier time of it than Boris. Boris is still answerable to parliament and the Party.

He will avoid accountability by taking some diplomatic non job for the Americans just as Blair did.

Online Bender

« Reply #3294 on: September 26, 2019, 12:49:37 AM »
Which politician hasn't lied to public?
Not all those who wander are lost

Offline Rostum

« Reply #3295 on: September 28, 2019, 10:20:04 AM »
Which hasn't been caught. Those are the one to watch out for.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #3296 on: October 04, 2019, 03:54:35 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-4993127

Well this is fun. I have for years shouted about the perils of social media and data analytics but this is far less subtle. Company wants (demands) your social media as part of the interview process then takes a public stance on the content while offering professional advice. I just look on the whole thing as another example of American dysfuctional morality. Hopefully lessons will be learnt....

Online Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Godling
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
« Reply #3297 on: October 04, 2019, 04:28:09 PM »

The fact that many politicians lie to the public does not make it okay for politicians to lie to the public. In fact, allowing it to become normalised is the best way to ensure they keep doing it. They should be called out and held responsible every damn time.
You can find stories on my Patreon
I'm also on Twitter and the Book of Faces

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #3298 on: October 04, 2019, 09:34:27 PM »
Sooo... you Americans...

Things certainly seem to be heating up around President Lear.

I'm curious how the general feel of this whole thing is outside of shouting news clips.

Online Bender

« Reply #3299 on: October 04, 2019, 09:35:30 PM »

The fact that many politicians lie to the public does not make it okay for politicians to lie to the public. In fact, allowing it to become normalised is the best way to ensure they keep doing it. They should be called out and held responsible every damn time.

It's on the public to not vote for them again. But take the case of Trump and Boris. Despite everything they've said and done, they are still in contention for win next election.

Lying has been normalised. It's called politics.
Not all those who wander are lost