April 01, 2020, 08:53:49 PM

Author Topic: Politics and other ailments of the real world  (Read 314201 times)

Offline Matthew

Re: Politics and other ailments of the real world
« Reply #3210 on: July 29, 2019, 03:30:01 AM »
I don't know what the deleted post was about and frankly, don't really mind what was said.

As you say we are entitled to our beliefs but for the life of me I can't imagine what beliefs you think I was defending myself. I literally have no opinions on the 'right or wrong' of however anyone lives their lives unless it hurts people I care about (because I just don't care enough to have one). I was mostly playing devils advocate and gave examples of why certain studies were wrong and backed it up with first hand experience from a fairly open minded place.

When I spoke of the 'agenda', I thought I made it clear that I was talking about what people may perceive. It was not MY argument, but I have heard it said about every minority at one time or another including LGBT (mostly against Jewish people in nutty conspiracy theories though).

I was also pointing out that a lot of people don't want to read about it at all, some for homophobic reasons, but mostly because we like to see ourselves in the characters we read about (hence your push for more inclusion). I cited several examples of when I feel it's been accomplished well where it added to the story, so I apologise if I came across at all homophobic in this, as it's not the case.

What I am opposed to is sticking ANYTHING into a book just to appease ANYONE. The writer is free to write the book they want to write, as the reader is free to read what they want. The publisher sees things in terms of numbers, PROFIT. If they thought they would make money from representing more LGBT they would do so (this led to the creation of the LGBT genre - as an untapped market created because the mainstream audience for fantasy don't particularly want to have it in their reads). There's that paraphrased quote from somewhere "The only colour that matters is green".

@J.R. Darewood I recognise that in making counterpoints to specific statements I've painted myself into the radical corner and if that made you upset in any way I'm sorry. I would like to make it clear again though, that I genuinely don't care enough to have any hate in me. I was not, nor am I attempting to be hateful.

What I do believe in is the truth of the world and was merely trying to make people understand that there are reasons for under-representation to exist and to essentially demand a crusade is perhaps more wrong than the people who just don't like seeing it. It is true that campaigners have had positive effects on the world of minorities before, but I'd like to point out that most examples are American where there is still a stupid amount of hate crime, while I live in a multicultural area (white, black (many directly immigrated), asian (middle eastern), and eastern Europeans) where we didn't have that and yet are much more tolerant as it occurred more naturally without being forced. You demand something, you force people to take a side, and that prejudice can last generations.

I have no interest in seeing you duck out of the forum though, there are no hard feelings on my part here.

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Half a King
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
You can find stories on my Patreon
I'm also on Twitter and the Book of Faces

Offline isos81

Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3213 on: July 29, 2019, 09:39:56 AM »
A duel to death should settle this, no magic though.
What about the magic of love?
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3214 on: July 29, 2019, 01:36:52 PM »
Edit: Post removed by the owner.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 05:11:35 PM by ArcaneArtsVelho »
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #3215 on: July 31, 2019, 05:12:18 AM »
If everyone has kissed the hurt away I am still in need of knowing anything about Sovereign Citizens? Specifically the religious variant of this phenomenon as opposed to the everyday muppets who believe they don't need a driving license or insurance to travel Americas roads.

Online Eli_Freysson

« Reply #3216 on: July 31, 2019, 09:30:56 PM »
From what I understand, Boris Johnson now being the prime minister of the UK is almost certainly a bad thing. But I have to admit, the Economist cover is freaking hilarious:

I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline Matthew

« Reply #3217 on: August 01, 2019, 12:05:40 AM »
Hah. The man certainly acts the buffoon but that's been his gimmick for years. He did a good job as mayor of London. Plus he won a contest with an amusing limerick about the Turkish president...

There was a young fellow from Ankara

Who was a terrific wankerer

Till he sowed his wild oats

With the help of a goat

But he didn’t even stop to thankera.

Online Eli_Freysson

« Reply #3218 on: August 04, 2019, 09:04:52 AM »
So, America has had yet another mass shooting. Twenty dead. And how awful is it that these events don't even raise my pulse anymore? I don't get angry anymore, I just feel a weary disgust.

And of course the shooter is yet another white, almost certainly straight, male, with a history of angry racist posts.

I too am a straight, white male, and I am perfectly aware that it lands me in the most privileged group in modern society. But these vermin always have to act like they're victims. These pathetic, evil little men, so utterly empty and weak that they invest everything in the nation/ethnic group they just happened to be born into. They're such complete losers that they have to find someone to be angry at, someone to declare even lower than themselves.

Ugh.

Offline isos81

« Reply #3219 on: August 04, 2019, 09:14:03 AM »
Hah. The man certainly acts the buffoon but that's been his gimmick for years. He did a good job as mayor of London. Plus he won a contest with an amusing limerick about the Turkish president...

With the help of a goat

I'm from Ankara, too. But I don't get the poem unfortunately :(
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #3220 on: August 04, 2019, 06:59:51 PM »

With the help of a goat

I'm from Ankara, too. But I don't get the poem unfortunately :(

I think it's about having, um... 'unnatural' relations with a goat. To be honest, I don't think it's really a particularly funny joke, no offence to Matthew.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #3221 on: August 04, 2019, 07:05:34 PM »
Actually America suffered two mass shootings making to total of about 500 for the year. That's disingenuous as those who tried and failed to kill multiple victims are not counted. Everybody outside the USA struggles with this happening multiple times a week.

I too am a straight, white male, and I am perfectly aware that it lands me in the most privileged group in modern society.

Do you feel privileged or are you perpetrating someone else's straw man here? I would say your race, sexuality and position in global society are largely beyond your control.
Unless you share the views of the gunman please don’t look for ways to associate yourself with them. Anyone who feels you need to apologise for your sexuality, race or sex is not worth wasting breath on.

I have said it before but finding ways to catagorize people allows you to put them at a remove from being human beings. So dont empathise with a racist loser who feels his views are worth more than others lives and don't tolerate those who look down on you from their faux moral high ground because you are who you are.

Online Eli_Freysson

« Reply #3222 on: August 04, 2019, 07:53:16 PM »
What?

I'm not empathising. I'm just making the point that I'm sick of these morons acting like they're victims of society.

Offline Bender

« Reply #3223 on: August 04, 2019, 11:35:04 PM »
I would say your race, sexuality and position in global society are largely beyond your control.

Why would position in society be beyond a person's control?
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Rostum

« Reply #3224 on: August 05, 2019, 01:42:49 PM »
Because in the first world you may aspire to greater things but fewer achieve any social mobility throughout their lifetime. If you are born in poverty you will likely die in poverty. If you get a decent job work hard all your life a modest retirement may be possible but is not gauranteed.