August 25, 2019, 04:52:09 PM

Author Topic: Politics and other ailments of the real world  (Read 255031 times)

Offline Neveesandeh

Re: Politics and other ailments of the real world
« Reply #3180 on: July 19, 2019, 11:07:21 PM »
From this side of the Atlantic, Trump supporters look like an enormous cult. They seem to have this intense, unwavering devotion to a man with nothing in common with any of them.

That said, very soon we shall receive our very own Trump in the form of Boris 'Bojo' Johnson, a man who has has own impressive record of gaffes and who also seems to be made of teflon. I will probably have to avoid the news for a while because the sight of those two cosying up to each other will be pretty hard to stomach.

The whole Ilhan Omar thing is despicable, but with hindsight very predictable. Trump has given these morons the green light to spout their bile without any fear of repercussion. Still, she's in congress and they can't change that. Give it a few decades and Trump will be gone and she'll still be there. Assuming the planet hasn't been reduced to smoking ruin by then, of course.

On a slightly different note, can anyone explain what exactly the appeal of Trump is supposed to be? He doesn't really seem to have much charisma to me. He just comes across as self-assured and arrogant.

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #3181 on: July 19, 2019, 11:48:40 PM »
On a slightly different note, can anyone explain what exactly the appeal of Trump is supposed to be? He doesn't really seem to have much charisma to me. He just comes across as self-assured and arrogant.

I've wondered about this myself.

Often.

The man is a terrible speaker. He is awkward, his vocabulary is stunted, he rambles like the confused old man he is, he is ignorant, he is weak and fragile, his voice is grating... and we all know I could go on.

The only conclusion I can reach is that the man himself is completely irrelevant. His fans don't actually care about the man. It is impossible to care about that weak, stupid little man. They care about his racism, and his cruelty.

It's as simple as that.

They like that someone, anyone, has given an official stamp of approval for their own cruelty and stupidity.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline Bender

« Reply #3182 on: July 20, 2019, 12:46:56 AM »
These are people who worked in industries, mining etc and found their jobs either outsourced or just made redundant due to Green measures etc etc. Trump played to their fears, their resentment, esp in midwest where the Dems have lost touch with common people. He gave them a object for their resentment (Mexicans are stealing jobs, Puerto-Ricans are all gangsters etc) Add some nationalism and you have a unhealthy mix of misguided emotions.
Not all those who wander are lost

Online Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Godling
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
« Reply #3183 on: July 20, 2019, 10:18:43 AM »
The best description of Trump I've read is still "he's a weak man's image of a strong man". I may have said this before, but I just think it sums the whole phenomenon up so well. He is what happens when someone who has no skills or knowledge and no compassion or empathy is given power. The people who think he is the second coming of JFC are people who can see themselves in him, because they too are petty, entitled, and ignorant. He makes them believe it could be them up there, and worse, he makes them believe they deserve it, for no other reason than the fact that they exist.
You can find stories on my Patreon
I'm also on Twitter and the Book of Faces

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #3186 on: July 22, 2019, 07:53:37 PM »
From this side of the Atlantic, Trump supporters look like an enormous cult. They seem to have this intense, unwavering devotion to a man with nothing in common with any of them.

Oh, trust me, Trump supporters look like a cult on this side of the Atlantic, too. It doesn't matter to them at all that he's a blubbering moron. So long as he's fulfilling their fantasies of sticking it to all the people they feel are responsible for their lives not being perfect, and all the people who they feel "need to know their place" (read: anyone who isn't white, straight, and "Christian") they will eagerly support and cheer him on.

Trump is hurting the people his supporters want him to hurt, and that gives them great pleasure. They will never abandon him, and it's both frustrating and frightening to live in a country with people this horrible. The weirdest thing is that since I'm white, I may not even know when I'm around a Trump supporter. They'll seem perfectly nice and friendly (since I'm white) and then - BOOM! - they say something positive about what a great president Trump is, and I realize the nice person I've been chatting with is 100% pro-child concentration camps, and genuinely thinks that all the children and babies who've died due to intentional neglect in ICE/CBP custody "died because their evil parents shouldn't have brought them here."

American school children are HEAVILY indocrinated with "our country is the greatest! Land of the free and brave!", and as a child who was very well-off, it took me a looong time to realize just how bad things are in the US for those without my privilege. Needless to say, the last ten or so years have been a rather painful wake up call for me.

It turns out a good portion of America is still as f'ed up and racist and evil as I was told it stopped being after the civil rights movement, and I just didn't realize I was living among these racist f***s this whole time.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 07:55:48 PM by tebakutis »

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #3187 on: July 23, 2019, 12:09:23 PM »
Our next Prime Minister will be Boris 'World King' Johnson. Now we have a populist leader of our own to go with Trump, Salvani and Orban.

I can't wait to escape this country.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #3188 on: July 23, 2019, 12:17:54 PM »
Although to be honest the other one wasn't much better...

I just don't understand people, are they really so blind to what goes on outside their closed doors? Are all politics just about power instead of true 'public service'?

I don't trust anyone anymore, but they make the decisions essential to our lives...

I'm not going anywhere, this is my country now - and I wonder if all countries are the same...

By the way, apparently there were 509 "wrong" ballot papers, I hope they were all votes for "Mike the Cameraman" ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Peat

« Reply #3189 on: July 23, 2019, 12:51:24 PM »

I just don't understand people, are they really so blind to what goes on outside their closed doors? Are all politics just about power instead of true 'public service'?

I don't trust anyone anymore, but they make the decisions essential to our lives...

I'm not going anywhere, this is my country now - and I wonder if all countries are the same...

By the way, apparently there were 509 "wrong" ballot papers, I hope they were all votes for "Mike the Cameraman" ;D

Insofar as I can tell, going from the media -

The Tory MPs are by and large horrified but judge it as the least of possible evils i.e. they think they'll get to keep their jobs under him and think that having Johnson doing nothing is less scary than Corbyn doing something.

The Tory membership however... well, some just like him. He reflects their own love of 'plain speaking', plays to their fear of everyone other than them, he's funny, he reflects their own class values and entitlements.

I think a fair few are less trusting but see him as a man who won't betray them over Brexit and that has become their obsession. Will be interesting to see how that goes with a naked charlatan and pragmatist there.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #3190 on: July 23, 2019, 04:40:08 PM »

Insofar as I can tell, going from the media -

The Tory MPs are by and large horrified but judge it as the least of possible evils i.e. they think they'll get to keep their jobs under him and think that having Johnson doing nothing is less scary than Corbyn doing something.

The Tory membership however... well, some just like him. He reflects their own love of 'plain speaking', plays to their fear of everyone other than them, he's funny, he reflects their own class values and entitlements.

I think a fair few are less trusting but see him as a man who won't betray them over Brexit and that has become their obsession. Will be interesting to see how that goes with a naked charlatan and pragmatist there.

I have one conservative friend who left the party when it was clear he was going to win, but for the most part the membership seem to love him, even if the MPs don't.

I'll admit, I actually liked him myself, right up until he came out for leave. After reading things he had written in support of immigration and in praise of London's diversity, for him to join up with people like Farage was quite an unpleasant shock.

I know not all leavers were obsessed with immigrants, but people like Gove, for all their failings, didn't throw out all their professed principles just for a chance to seize power. Ever since Boris' false-buffoon act has always rubbed me up the wrong way. He's a nihilistic populist just like Trump who wants to be Prime Minister solely to be Prime Minister and nothing else. He will most likely be a catastrophic failure, but he won't care. He is Prime Minister, he will always have been Prime minister, once he's finally gone, no one can ever take that from him and that is all he has ever cared about.

It's going to be pretty hard talking to family members that like him. Just hearing his voice makes me see red now.

Hunt would have been pretty awful as well though.

Online Rostum

« Reply #3191 on: July 25, 2019, 12:17:47 PM »
Anyone out there got any insight into soveriegn citizens?

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #3192 on: July 25, 2019, 01:28:27 PM »

What?
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline Bender

« Reply #3193 on: July 26, 2019, 10:08:21 PM »

The US nutcase group?
Not all those who wander are lost

Online Rostum

« Reply #3194 on: July 27, 2019, 07:22:10 AM »
They might object to the term group but yes there are a number of them in Northern America. I was hoping our resident anthropologist might have some insight or any of the left pondians have encountered or gods forbid be related to one.