July 16, 2019, 05:48:13 AM

Author Topic: Politics and other ailments of the real world  (Read 244663 times)

Offline Neveesandeh

Re: Politics and other ailments of the real world
« Reply #3075 on: March 16, 2019, 04:12:11 PM »
We're seeing the media showing the same fascination with the perpetrator as they usually show in the aftermath of school shootings. You would have thought that after all these years they would have learned not to do this. All it does is build a cult of personality around these people.

Who is the perpetrator really? Some idiotic nobody. Same with all those school shooters. There's no need to remember their names or fantasize over their childhoods. It's like an even worse form of celebrity culture.

Online J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #3076 on: March 17, 2019, 12:51:12 PM »

@Lady Ty I think a lot of us have similar feelings about our own countries. Don't feel alone!  You're a good egg :)

Speaking of eggs. This Australian senator blamed the shootings on immigration and a daring 17 year old cracked an egg on his head... while trying to film it with his phone in a truly millennial fashion.  The senator then punched the minor. Like repeatedly. It looks like he hit the kid hard!

https://twitter.com/itvnews/status/1106841130631643136/video/1

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #3077 on: March 17, 2019, 03:30:16 PM »

@Lady Ty I think a lot of us have similar feelings about our own countries. Don't feel alone!  You're a good egg :)

Speaking of eggs. This Australian senator blamed the shootings on immigration and a daring 17 year old cracked an egg on his head... while trying to film it with his phone in a truly millennial fashion.  The senator then punched the minor. Like repeatedly. It looks like he hit the kid hard!

I just looked into that story, and this guy is a genuine, full-blown Nazi, even if he apparently doesn't use the title.

Here is the actual quote:

"The real cause of bloodshed on New Zealand streets today is the immigration program, which allowed Muslim fanatics to migrate to New Zealand in the first place."

No. The real cause is the guy who fired bullets into people.

Good God. Human stupidity. Fanatics? This is literally like calling a mugging victim a thief for having been mugged.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3078 on: March 18, 2019, 07:22:39 AM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
Thank you, JR, I know I'm not alone, but that was kind and comforting and appreciated. There are good people here and  all around the world who are tolerant, compassionate and balanced. But the tide is changing and there are not enough people left who actually remember and recognise the signs of facism and the danger of extreme nationalistic groups. So many have been have been warning for so long and it has been ignored. This may be a turning point in Australia at last because the battle cries from the public are calling out the press to stop letting  the racism and hatred pass and start calling it out. The Murdoch press won't even try because they  are complicit, but some of the others may get brave. This is where social media can actually make a difference now more people are aware of what has been going on.

Anyway I am happy to report Fraser Anning will be censured by both major parties next Plt. There has been a petition to sack him which has to date gathered 1,175,812 signatures which is a welcome sign of disapproval. Unfortunately under our law he has not misled parliament or committed a crime so cannot be sacked, but hopefully next election he will be kicked out. He only ever had 19 votes. Yes 19. But when someone in his party(Pauline Hanson One Nation party, racist to the core ) resigned he was the next up on their list and so got in as an accidental Senator. Then that party kicked him out, as he was too extreme even for them, and he is an Independent.

Yes Eli, the Senator is a full blown Nazi and so are all the six bodyguard thugs who piled on that young slight EggBoy. They held his arms, legs and body down under their weight and had him in a choke hold so long he momentarily lost consciousness until a couple of press photographers yelled at them to loosen up.  They call themselves Australian Patriots or something like, but have to keep changing their names because their reputations become known. They and their followers cause trouble at rallies etc and usually hide under masks but show off swastika tattoos. One has a warrant out in his home state for terrorising a church congregation by staging a fake beheading with others. This is how bad it has become.

Eggboy, Will Connolly, is a now a national hero and someone started a fund to cover any legal expenses he might have incurred. Fortunately the police said no charge and he was released fairly quickly, by which time there was $40,000 donated which he is sending to help the survivors of the NZ massacre.   BTW don't try and follow him on Twitter because there have been several copycats, so he is off for awhile.

This is a long post and I am sorry it is on such a grim subject. For that reason I have deliberately put it in spoiler so people don't accidentally read it on recent posts.

You are all champions FF and I am keeping a benign eye on you all, even though I cannot post very often.  :) :)

“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #3079 on: March 19, 2019, 01:35:19 PM »
Reports today that UK Prime Minister is writing a letter to ask for an extension in regards to EU withdrawal negotiations. Sources say she will ask for 3 month delay, but with a proviso for up to two years extension if needed.

I can't believe that we'll see two more years of this Brexit purgatory. This is truly unbearable now.
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline Rostum

« Reply #3080 on: March 21, 2019, 07:06:31 AM »
Heard her on the radio explaining that MP's are to blame for everything Brexit.

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Godling
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
« Reply #3081 on: March 21, 2019, 11:12:29 AM »
I was thinking earlier, the animal that did this filmed the whole thing and no doubt there are countless pathetic, vile individuals watching and cheering him on in the dark corners of the internet. The thought of it makes me feel sick. How did we get to the stage where there are so many of these white supremacist idiots infesting our society?

Radicalisation is now happening right out in the open. YouTube and social media help out by pushing material with lots of engagements, which is usually loud and extreme. And the algorithms are insidious, starting you down a path that masks itself as moderate, but that quickly leads down a rabbit hole of conspiracy, whether it be about climate change hoax, chemtrails, anti-vax, flat earth; entrusting your health to Goop, David Avocado Wolfe, or Natural News; or phobic hate towards immigrants.

Also, I would refrain from using words like 'animal' when describing the perpetrators of atrocities. They are human beings, susceptible in the same way we all are to biases, mental disease, and tribalism. People who commit atrocities are human beings, whether you like it or not. They commit these horrible crimes for human reasons. Likely they have been submitted to an incessant flow of dehumanising rhetoric like "invasion, infection, pests, plague, animals" and repeated dogma, and likely they were vulnerable to begin with.

But I think part of the reason that this is happening is the, in my opinion, rather flippant attitude that the acts themselves are inhuman; somehow outside of our morality. "I would never do something like that" is the first step towards letting your guard down. You might not be able to imagine doing it, but neuropsychology disagrees. Under the wrong circumstances, we could all be radicalised or brainwashed to commit atrocities. Recognising that we might be vulnerable simply due to how our brain works allows us to protect ourselves, and hopefully others, against extreme ideas.
You can find stories on my Patreon
I'm also on Twitter and the Book of Faces

Offline Rostum

« Reply #3082 on: March 21, 2019, 10:36:35 PM »
For the vast majority here opposed to Brexit please find the UGov link below to what looks like it will be the biggest Epetition received to date.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/241584?fbclid=IwAR0MHscCV1YE6yZOpP4fWygZKOn3ZuK6szpFEyTgTNK0-WTinqdlPaGgYx4

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #3083 on: March 22, 2019, 08:06:10 AM »
Wow, it's got almost 2.5million!
When I did it yesterday it was around 800k...

Looking at the map is interesting, as there are at least 1000 people in each constituency in the vast majority of the UK.

I just want it to be over: the fighting, the uncertainty, the anger. Even with some \(good, proper) kind of Brexit, to be honest...
And after it, a replacement of basically all politicians >:(
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Rostum

« Reply #3084 on: March 22, 2019, 02:56:35 PM »
Yeah the growth rate suggests it is being gamed. If it is legit it should tail off as the commited have signed and those who believe petitions change nothing gradually add their names. Whether it is or not it will be interesting to see if it can top 5 million and what the parlimentry response is? Discussed and ignored as a trespass into democratic decision making thats best left to Mp's would be my expectation, like pretty much every other petition.

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #3085 on: March 22, 2019, 09:42:55 PM »
Huh. Robert Mueller just release his report.

Offline Peat

« Reply #3086 on: March 22, 2019, 10:12:10 PM »
Ladies and gentlemen, now presenting the most interesting piece of Brexit news ever -

Uri Geller, Brexit Saviour
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 09:55:25 AM by Peat »
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #3087 on: March 22, 2019, 10:40:22 PM »
Ladies and gentlemen, now presenting the most interesting piece of Brexit news ever -

That link doesn't work.

Offline Peat

« Reply #3088 on: March 23, 2019, 09:55:55 AM »

That link doesn't work.

It does now.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Rostum

« Reply #3089 on: March 23, 2019, 04:27:34 PM »
we are all saved. Uri has pitched in.