April 25, 2019, 05:09:50 AM

Author Topic: Politics and other ailments of the real world  (Read 222194 times)

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
Re: Politics and other ailments of the real world
« Reply #2970 on: January 16, 2019, 03:32:38 PM »
Haha I saw that a while ago @Rostum . I only wish I had been blindfolded during the movie it was so bad. 

There have been all these pictures of fries and hamburgers in my FB feed for the past couple of day and I only just now figured out why. WTAF.

I believe you're thinking of hamberders.

I can't.  I just can't.  It's been YEARS. How does he still blow my mind every damn time I dare to peek at the news?

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2971 on: January 16, 2019, 03:43:32 PM »
I don't understand... ???
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #2972 on: January 16, 2019, 07:02:00 PM »
Apparently Britain is brexiting brexit?  ;D
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2973 on: January 16, 2019, 07:30:46 PM »
I'm trying to just get the minimum information at the moment, the news really depress me. There's no point in wishful thinking, as common sense never happens...

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #2974 on: January 16, 2019, 08:27:49 PM »
Apparently Britain is brexiting brexit?  ;D

I've been trying not to pay attention to what's happening, as my solution to this whole mess is just to leave the country and get back into Europe by myself, but from what I can gather, May managed to agree on a deal with the EU which they decided is the only deal that they will accept, and that they will not negotiate any further. The problem is our own parliament has rejected this deal. So we won't implement May's deal, and we won't get another one. So either we cancel it, go for no deal or somehow find some other way out of this mess.

I myself am very pro-European, and I think just holding the referendum in the first place is a source of national shame, so even if this moronic process is cancelled, I still want to get out of here. I don't see much of a future for me in Britain, certainly not with its pathetically limited job market and soaring house prices.

A lot of people blame May for the current fiasco. I don't support her party or agree with her policies, but it isn't her fault. Leaving the EU (I try to avoid using the term 'Brexit' because I think the word sounds stupid) is never going to work regardless of who you put in charge.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2975 on: January 16, 2019, 09:33:52 PM »
I don't want to go back, I've made my home here, I've got my job and my friends, and my house, and I love it here. It's when I look to London, to government, that I start to despair.
Independence for Yorkshire? :P

Offline Peat

« Reply #2976 on: January 16, 2019, 11:45:22 PM »
I don't want to go back, I've made my home here, I've got my job and my friends, and my house, and I love it here. It's when I look to London, to government, that I start to despair.
Independence for Yorkshire? :P

Hey, this isn't London's idea!

Offline Rostum

« Reply #2978 on: January 17, 2019, 07:07:45 AM »
A lot of people blame May for the current fiasco. I don't support her party or agree with her policies, but it isn't her fault. Leaving the EU (I try to avoid using the term 'Brexit' because I think the word sounds stupid) is never going to work regardless of who you put in charge.

Yeah hey lets put someone in charge who doesn't believe in leaving the EU to leave the EU. What could possibly go wrong?
Responsibility comes with the job and utterly failing to negotiate a deal with any advantages to the UK must fall somewhere between total incompetence and treason. Certainly those who look to forward a European super state
have an interest in ensuring it fails but plenty of countries seem to do quite well not being part of the EU.

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #2979 on: January 21, 2019, 01:43:14 PM »
Responsibility comes with the job and utterly failing to negotiate a deal with any advantages to the UK must fall somewhere between total incompetence and treason.

Treason? Didn't expect such Daily Mail language here :o

I'm starting to look forward to Brexit: the inevitable and rightful reunification of Ireland it will cause, as well as Scottish independence, which is the only thing I care about these days.

Just had to pay £65 this morning to apply to maintain my right to remain here. Together with my partner, we're being extorted £130 in order to remain in the home we already have - like changing the rules of the game after it is underway. Look forward for my application to be accepted (will it be? who knows, UK Home Office and its Hostile Environment policy is capable of anything) and to keep fighting even more vigorously for a better future for Scotland, leaving the Brexit shambles for those that actually voted for it.

Is that treasonous? To be fair, if the Daily Mail / Express readers think me a traitor, that's a badge of honour to me.  ;D
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #2980 on: January 21, 2019, 04:58:10 PM »
And now the application fee has been waived. A new day, a completely new policy. From day to day, the Brexit mess changes with the wind. Now I have to get a refund for my application... what fun. This is so exhausting, I couldn't resent Brexit more. It has diminished the UK so much in the eyes of most of my friends and family back home...
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2981 on: January 21, 2019, 05:37:53 PM »
I'll apply when things are clearer, then - I bet the site is still asking for payment...

As I said, all this is just making me sad. And Peat, sorry, I meant the government in London, not the city - they actually voted to remain.
It's strange, here I only know a handful of EU people, but this weekend in London I could hear loads of European languages being spoken (and locals, not tourists), I kept wondering what would happen to them. At my niece's school there are many.

Offline Peat

« Reply #2982 on: January 21, 2019, 09:44:44 PM »
I'll apply when things are clearer, then - I bet the site is still asking for payment...

As I said, all this is just making me sad. And Peat, sorry, I meant the government in London, not the city - they actually voted to remain.
It's strange, here I only know a handful of EU people, but this weekend in London I could hear loads of European languages being spoken (and locals, not tourists), I kept wondering what would happen to them. At my niece's school there are many.

I know, I was teasing :)

London's just a different place to the rest of the UK now. There's so many foreign nationals from everywhere, all come to live and work in a global city. Maybe the other big cities have shades of that - I don't spend enough time in them. I guess in some ways, maybe this take some of the heat out of the London bubble and spreads a bit more wealth around the UK and things are better.

But I think the country could lose a jewel. And it could well increase the sort of disenchantment that sees many educated Londoners take their talents to the Commonwealth rather than the Counties. Who can say? Just another example of the risks this whole process is causing.

And I have to say, much as I try to avoid impassioned speech and adding to the divides, if there's any traitors in this mess its the people who lied over and over to get us into this position. Not the poor incompetent who volunteered to try and steer us away from the rocks.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #2983 on: January 22, 2019, 02:13:48 AM »
The way this debate has been framed makes me really sad.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #2984 on: January 22, 2019, 01:14:43 PM »
The way this debate has been framed makes me really sad.

Yes and me.