December 15, 2018, 02:35:18 AM

Author Topic: Politics and other ailments of the real world  (Read 188437 times)

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
Re: Politics and other ailments of the real world
« Reply #2850 on: October 04, 2018, 06:43:22 PM »
No-neck, mouth-breathing, knuckle-dragging asshat… my insult of the month.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2851 on: October 05, 2018, 11:48:11 AM »
I used to respect Elon Musk...

"Tesla boss mocks US regulator days after settlement" https://www.bbc.com/news/business-45754299

This guy should be locked out of twitter!
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Rostum

« Reply #2852 on: October 05, 2018, 03:32:05 PM »
Musk is an entitled idiot and has an ongoing deformation lawsuit due to accusations he made on twitter. His handlers need to take control of his phone.

Offline Skip

« Reply #2853 on: October 07, 2018, 10:10:29 PM »
Murica!!!

I keep hearing people say this is not us. That we're better than this.

Really? Nixon, Reagan, Bush, Bush, Trump, with a side of everything from Goldwater to Sarah Palin.

This old hippie has always known that America hates her crazies. If we really are better than this, I say it's time we proved it. Our words say we believe in fair play, honesty, democracy. Our actions say otherwise.

It may very well be that Murica! is exactly who we are.

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #2854 on: October 09, 2018, 06:25:56 PM »
Murica!!!

I keep hearing people say this is not us. That we're better than this.

Really? Nixon, Reagan, Bush, Bush, Trump, with a side of everything from Goldwater to Sarah Palin.

This old hippie has always known that America hates her crazies. If we really are better than this, I say it's time we proved it. Our words say we believe in fair play, honesty, democracy. Our actions say otherwise.

It may very well be that Murica! is exactly who we are.

The November midterms are make or break. Either the Dems retake the House (and possibly the Senate) and put the brakes on Trump and the GOP's rampant criminality and hate, or the US as we knew it is over, IMO. If there is no "blue wave" Trump and McConnell will see it as a red flag and double-down on voter suppression, stacking the courts, and ensuring the GOP (e.g. rich old white men) rule for the next fifty years, with the rest of us as their indentured servants.

Though my wife has a tenured professor job in the US which we are loathe to leave behind, I know we could leave the US if it continues down the path Trump and the GOP have laid out. I also know we could get our four-year-old daughter out and take her to a country that doesn't have assholes (the GOP) who treat women as property. Finally, I know that we, as white people, we will be the last to be targeted by any future facist regime. And despite all that privilege, I'm still furious and worried. So many don't have a way out.

I hope we push violently back against Trump's horrific BS in November, but I suppose we'll see. However, the one thing I'll say if that if Trump and McConnell do win, it won't be because the *majority* sided with them. Trump lost the popular vote by 3 million. If evil wins, it'll be because they were really good at gaming a political system stacked toward white supremacy, and the majority of this country (non-voters) simply didn't see it coming.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #2855 on: October 09, 2018, 07:33:08 PM »
I think it's official now. You can't vote Republican and be a decent human being.

Kavanaugh wasn't the largest straw but I don't think the camel can carry much more.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Rostum

« Reply #2856 on: October 10, 2018, 01:27:48 PM »
I hope we push violently back against Trump's horrific BS in November, but I suppose we'll see. However, the one thing I'll say if that if Trump and McConnell do win, it won't be because the *majority* sided with them. Trump lost the popular vote by 3 million. If evil wins, it'll be because they were really good at gaming a political system stacked toward white supremacy, and the majority of this country (non-voters) simply didn't see it coming.

And in a world where every post, tweet and mail can be read this one has probably moved you up the list. Your worry of a fascist state is sound but it's not the future, it is already here. Look up corporatism. At the moment it is concerned with capturing the wealth in the middle of your classless society and placing the tools to totally own all information within everyone's life.
In America corporations have shown economic power is also political power and people come a poor second. This didn't change under Obama and will not change under any future leader of any political shade. Success is measured in wealth and that buys power. Information is control and the number of 3 letter agencies and their powers are never going to recede, organisations to keep America safe, but define America?
sometime in Your future it Will take an interest in people and likelihood is you will be streamed by any number of data points and as pretty much any ad agency already does.
If you feel you need a plan B get it in place. Get the framework sorted. Have a destination and think ahead waiting for it to happen means its already too late as countless millions found out during the 19th and 20th century

With regards to the mid term I expect violence regardless of the result.

Offline Skip

« Reply #2857 on: October 10, 2018, 04:37:26 PM »
>or the US as we knew it is over,

That gets to what I meant. The US as we knew it never existed. It was veiled, but TrumpAmerica has always been there. It has always been us. People in other countries have made this observation for decades. We've known it about ourselves (see Sinclair Lewis' It Can't Happen Here).

I'm a baby boomer. We knew it too, when we were young. The 1960s wasn't only about hippies and rock music. It was about Goldwater/Reagan Republicans, the Moral Majority, redlining at the banks, mandatory prison sentences, and so on.

If we are anything other than that, then we have to prove it and not merely claim it. Stop blaming Trump. Stop blaming the GOP. Start blaming America. Step One: admit you have a problem. Only then can we start to improve ourselves.

I don't think that's going to happen because the Democrats can get no further than blaming Trump. The voting left can get no further than blaming the GOP.

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #2858 on: October 11, 2018, 03:49:32 PM »
If you feel you need a plan B get it in place. Get the framework sorted. Have a destination and think ahead waiting for it to happen means its already too late as countless millions found out during the 19th and 20th century

With regards to the mid term I expect violence regardless of the result.

My wife isn't as worried as I am, but I am going to make sure we get our passports updated, just in case. That said, even if the US does slide off the deep end, my wife and I have a lot that'll protect us if things do go pear-shaped - we're 1) white 2) financially secure and 3) in Maryland, which is a rather liberal state. With the exception of the last one, we look just like Trumpies, so we can blend in.

My wife isn't leaving her tenured position (which I can't blame her for) unless it gets really, really bad, and I can't convince her to move elsewhere, even though I could likely get a job in multiple countries (the company I work for has studios across the world, so a transfer wouldn't be hard). But the the more I've thought about it, the more I'm convinced it's good that we're staying for now, even if the Republicans win. If we have this much privilege, I figure, we might as well use it, because there's a whole lot of people who *aren't* white, *aren't* wealthy, and can't escape the US if things get really bad. The least we can do is hang out and donate to candidates who will try to slow down the dismantling.

The reality is, Trump's worst policies are and will continue to target immigrants, anyone who's not white, and LGBT folks. That's not us, which makes me feel all the more guilty, honestly. White rich people (and brainwashed white poor people) are Trump's base, so he'll target them last or not at all, which means our lives aren't really going to change that much unless we move straight into Trump for life, and even then, we'd probably still blend until we escaped.

That said, I am 100% getting my daughter out of this country as soon as she's old enough to travel regardless of where the political system goes. I'd prefer to do it even earlier (always the chance of a school shooting, since that's just something we've decided to live with) but my plan now is to convince her how much fun it would be to study abroad (when she goes to college) and hope she meets a nice guy/gal wherever she goes, gets married, and ends up in a country that is not the US. If she goes somewhere that isn't run by racist shitbags who've decided we should let kids get shot in school so the NRA can make money and a bunch of gunnuts can shoot cans with AR-15s on the weekend, I will die happy.

But unless we can completely remove the GOP from power and make it again socially unacceptable to support shitty/hateful policies, I don't see the US ever improving. One thing we've proven by electing and then SUPPORTING someone as horrible and corrupt as Trump - the stupid in our country is entrenched, it's not going away for decades or longer, and the obscenely rich have already won.

EDIT: Skip is also right that we've always had these problems. Many of us (like me) just weren't aware of them due to our privilege.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 03:52:47 PM by tebakutis »

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #2859 on: October 12, 2018, 01:49:01 PM »
Great, Brazil votes for a homophobic fascist and the supreme court is taking away Native American's votes.

"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #2860 on: October 13, 2018, 08:44:25 AM »
So... you Brits on this forum...

I just watched Jonathan Pie go on one of his rants, this time about UK law enforcement getting involved with people causing offence on the internet. He mentioned a teenager who got jailed for three months for making an inappropriate joke. He also mentioned another one who got fitted with electronic tag for posting rap lyrics. He also also mentioned that the police are asking people to report offensive posts. Not illegal ones. Just offensive ones.

Could someone please tell me he's mistaken? Because this is some serious bizarro police state stuff.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2861 on: October 13, 2018, 08:49:53 AM »
I've never heard of that guy or the events mentioned :o
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #2862 on: October 13, 2018, 10:49:51 AM »
I've never heard of that guy or the events mentioned :o

To clarify, Jonathan Pie is a character used by a British comedian to comment on serious issues.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #2863 on: October 13, 2018, 10:00:59 PM »
Yeah the thought police are alive and well in the UK.

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #2864 on: October 13, 2018, 10:06:41 PM »
Yeah the thought police are alive and well in the UK.

Is this kind of stuff becoming typical in the UK, or are these outlier cases that make the news but don't actually represent a trend?