October 23, 2018, 04:21:59 AM

Author Topic: Politics and other ailments of the real world  (Read 177874 times)

Offline BeardKing

Re: Politics and other ailments of the real world
« Reply #2835 on: September 18, 2018, 03:59:08 PM »

You're welcome. :)

Offline Rostum

« Reply #2836 on: September 19, 2018, 11:56:41 AM »
Oh Australia you really don't get irony do you.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-45569260

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #2837 on: September 19, 2018, 06:26:11 PM »
Oh Australia you really don't get irony do you.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-45569260

This is like double or triple irony. I feel like if I keep rereading I'll find more and more layers. Like an onion, tears and all

The country that started as a prison colony deports an Aboriginal man (who's people they displaced in founding the country) to another country who's language he doesn't speak... because of a criminal conviction

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #2838 on: September 28, 2018, 10:35:16 PM »
I've been keeping an eye on that whole Brett Kavanaugh thing.

(side note: how can someone get a LIFETIME appointment to a position like that??)

This has all made for a fascinatingly awful soap opera. The desperate rush to push through a dodgy nominee purely for the sake of politics; putting up a paper-thin show of fairness while hearing Dr. Ford out, making it perfectly clear to anyone not in their cult just how far into partisanship they are. I also saw that video of two rape survivors confronting that Jeff Flake guy, unloading on him while he just cringed and would barely look at them.

Now he's calling for a week-long recess so the FBI can get involved. I guess one of these weasels actually has SOME capacity for shame.

This sure makes for interesting TV.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline Skip

« Reply #2839 on: September 29, 2018, 04:05:53 AM »
I admit trash fires can be interesting, but this one's just embarrassing.
Visit Altearth

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #2840 on: September 29, 2018, 07:50:17 AM »
It's a distraction tactic to push through awful legislation while the press is fixated on a god-awful nominee who will still likely be confirmed.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #2841 on: September 29, 2018, 01:24:15 PM »
meanwhile in the UK influential lobbyists are trying to ensure that any Anglo-American trade deal includes the NHS because it is essential that American companies can profit from sick people.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #2842 on: October 03, 2018, 05:30:59 AM »
And a little sanity prevails moment in the UK

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45714032

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2843 on: October 03, 2018, 10:48:17 AM »
And a little sanity prevails moment in the UK

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45714032

I'm in 2 minds about this one, actually.
Marriage is a legal procedure anyway, without any links to religion if you don't want to, so I don't quite get the difference to civil partnerships apart from the name.
In Portugal there are "religious marriages" and "civil marriages", but they're all 'marriages'. I never linked it specifically to religion,
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Rostum

« Reply #2844 on: October 03, 2018, 02:02:31 PM »
Its an odd one in UK law as at the moment there are marriages for same and mixed sex couples. These may be religious or Civil but adhere to a certain set of ideas and you are granted certain rights and protections within the law as a married couple.

Then there are civil partnerships which are at the moment available to same sex but not mixed sex couples. These were legal for gay couples prior to Marriage being legal in the UK for Gay couples. They also provide certain rights and protections that you do not have simply by living with someone. For those opposed to the idea of marriage for whatever reason this is an option which grants recognition from the state and the law but comes with none of the notions of marriage.

Anyway it was blatantly discriminatory and should have been available to anyone when introduced.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2845 on: October 03, 2018, 02:13:47 PM »
Oh sure, either you have both for all couples, or just one for all couples, so at least it's a step in the right direction
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #2846 on: October 03, 2018, 05:40:52 PM »
Then there are civil partnerships which are at the moment available to same sex but not mixed sex couples. These were legal for gay couples prior to Marriage being legal in the UK for Gay couples. They also provide certain rights and protections that you do not have simply by living with someone. For those opposed to the idea of marriage for whatever reason this is an option which grants recognition from the state and the law but comes with none of the notions of marriage.

Anyway it was blatantly discriminatory and should have been available to anyone when introduced.
Same over here. We would've gone for a civil partnership instead of a marriage but didn't have the option.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #2847 on: October 04, 2018, 01:30:20 PM »
Okay, honestly, just what is it with the Trump cult and this obsession with Hillary Clinton? Apparently they are STILL chanting "Lock her up! Lock her up! Lock her up!"

What gives? She's out of the game, and they're still making her the supervillain of their lives.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline Rostum

« Reply #2848 on: October 04, 2018, 03:18:03 PM »
Murica!!!

If you wish to unify people to your cause it is easier to demonise a person, group or whatever than make people love or respect you. Trump appeals to the knuckle draggers while those who think they are clever feel they can use him to achieve their own aims.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #2849 on: October 04, 2018, 05:13:45 PM »
Knuckle draggers. What a fine insult.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)