December 10, 2018, 01:54:58 PM

Author Topic: Politics and other ailments of the real world  (Read 188060 times)

Offline Skip

Re: Politics and other ailments of the real world
« Reply #2820 on: September 05, 2018, 04:09:58 PM »
^ wow, is that true, american people?

It's a little flip, but yeah, pretty much. Most Americans mistrust the prospect of radical change and downright fear those who threaten it. I rather think we are not all that different from other nations in this.
Visit Altearth

Offline Rostum

« Reply #2821 on: September 05, 2018, 11:12:58 PM »
Yup that's is the exact opposite of how it works in Europe and what the two main parties left in the UK are looking to achieve.

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #2822 on: September 07, 2018, 12:21:21 AM »
Don't get me wrong, the whole situation in American politics offends, enrages, and scares me. The captain of the ship is literally spinning the wheel randomly, often intending to hit one reef or another.
All that said, spinning the wheel doesn't make a large ship turn for a long, long time. And at any given time, every ship on the sea or car on the road is headed for disaster, sooner or later, if its course is not corrected. So don't look too far ahead.

Nations are big and the United States is huge. I have faith that we'll process this guy and his cronies like a mouthful of rotten food: we will get fevers and chills. Discomforting discharges, sweats, and twitches will happen more and more often until we either barf him up or shit him out. Either way, we'll still be here.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #2823 on: September 07, 2018, 08:10:22 AM »

Nations are big and the United States is huge. I have faith that we'll process this guy and his cronies like a mouthful of rotten food: we will get fevers and chills. Discomforting discharges, sweats, and twitches will happen more and more often until we either barf him up or shit him out. Either way, we'll still be here.

That's a good metaphor.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline Rostum

« Reply #2824 on: September 08, 2018, 12:09:16 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45450558

I am stunned. The only conclusion I can draw is that Americans are so scared of each other that sanity cannot prevail. The only country in the world where shooting is the first response.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 01:15:49 PM by Rostum »

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #2825 on: September 09, 2018, 12:22:12 PM »
...and where a Nike advertisement is more controversial  than school shootings or putting children in cages.

I'm sorry, my American friends, I know that the majority of your fellow citizens are friendly and normal but at this point I'm scared to visit the United States and there has to change a lot before I'd consider it. :-/
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Online JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #2826 on: September 11, 2018, 06:04:22 PM »
http://thefederalist.com/2018/09/11/u-k-police-urge-citizens-report-neighbors-offensive-insulting-speech/

Does this article have the facts right? What do my English friends think about this?
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Peat

« Reply #2827 on: September 11, 2018, 06:44:10 PM »
http://thefederalist.com/2018/09/11/u-k-police-urge-citizens-report-neighbors-offensive-insulting-speech/

Does this article have the facts right? What do my English friends think about this?

Quite confused tbh. I've no idea what the police are tweeting because what sort of sad bastard follows the police twitter accounts?

In general, I spend most of my life quite free of injunctions to shop my fellow citizens to the cops for whatever reason.

edit: There's some golden responses actually:

"#HateHurtsSY I live in Tunbridge Wells but can you please help me. I think my wife deliberately overcooked my steak, I think she hates me and does little things like this which bloody ruins my day. My local police told me to ‘eff off’ their actual words, when I reported it."

"This morning my wife poured loads of milk on my weetabix without telling me, by the time I sat down to eat it, it had gone all soggy. I feel this was definitely done out of spite! Please investigate immediately"

"There is a  guy who just farted in my general direction, please arrest immediately.  #HateHurtsSY "
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 06:48:17 PM by Peat »
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Rostum

« Reply #2828 on: September 11, 2018, 09:28:14 PM »
Yes pretty much so

https://www.rotherham.gov.uk/news/article/832/new_hate_crime_initiative_launched_in_rotherham

and don't forget

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/13/nottinghamshire-police-becomes-first-force-to-record-misogyny-as/

Misandry is of course not a hate crime in Nottinghamshire and doesn't need to be as there are no reported incidents of such.

Political policing is an extremely dangerous concept and deeply in favour with certain types of politician in the UK. The reason so many senior police get knighthoods.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 09:38:36 PM by Rostum »

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #2829 on: September 12, 2018, 11:33:24 AM »
So... I just read a story about a nine year old girl in Australia. She refused to stand during the national anthem, and later explained that it had to do with the country's racism.

Australian politicians are now saying she should be expelled from school, condemned her parents for raising a brat, said she ought to be kicked in the rear, and other delightful, mature things you would expect to hear from grown-up politicians talking about a small child.

What is it with people who are so desperately empty that they need to make their nationality the core of their being? Who get outraged when people refuse to take part in empty displays of lockstep uniformity?? It's pathetic!

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/09/12/australia/australia-nine-year-old-anthem-intl/index.html

Offline Rostum

« Reply #2830 on: September 12, 2018, 03:26:45 PM »
sounds about right, Australian politics is proof that scum rises.
If were to search the same subject in the USA you would find pretty much the same. Kids threatened and bullied, denied their right to protest and to an education for either refusing to stand or refusing to pledge allegiance.

Offline Peat

« Reply #2831 on: September 12, 2018, 03:36:15 PM »
Yes pretty much so

https://www.rotherham.gov.uk/news/article/832/new_hate_crime_initiative_launched_in_rotherham

and don't forget

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/13/nottinghamshire-police-becomes-first-force-to-record-misogyny-as/

Misandry is of course not a hate crime in Nottinghamshire and doesn't need to be as there are no reported incidents of such.

Political policing is an extremely dangerous concept and deeply in favour with certain types of politician in the UK. The reason so many senior police get knighthoods.

Who actually pays attention to them when they say stuff like that though? Where do they actually follow through?

You could come up with a long, hilarious and slightly worrying list of things our police officers say. But I can't recall any of it coming to anything.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Rostum

« Reply #2832 on: September 16, 2018, 07:29:54 PM »
The aim is not to add workload to the police or make anything that was legal illegal, but to change social perception.

Labour had their war on photography which lead to photographers being branded as peadophiles or terrorists and saw cameras and equipment seized illegally by police. The only arrests made were under terrorism law and were thrown out by 2 separate judges who made enough fuss to ensure the police desisted from making further arrests. Social engineering policy usually gets enforced by bad interpretation of existing law and rarely makes for a better society.

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #2833 on: September 16, 2018, 08:35:41 PM »

Labour had their war on photography which lead to photographers being branded as peadophiles or terrorists

Hold on, what??

Offline Rostum

« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 11:57:14 PM by Rostum »