September 26, 2018, 04:09:41 PM

Author Topic: Politics and other ailments of the real world  (Read 171351 times)

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
Re: Politics and other ailments of the real world
« Reply #2685 on: June 12, 2018, 10:55:55 AM »
Yeah. Whoever comes after Pence is sure going to have their hands full.

You think there would be anyone after Pence?

On the bright side even America can only elect so many unstable lunatics....
Hold my beer...
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #2686 on: June 12, 2018, 11:22:02 AM »
So Trump is now lobbing his juvenile insults at Justin Trudeau, after the former voiced calm, level-headed disapproval of trade tariffs. And Trump's media enablers are condemning the latter while praising the former as strength.

I am sick and tired of seeing Trump described as some kind of fighter who doesn't take crap. It isn't strength to constantly lash out. He is a weak, fearful man engaged in a constant desperate effort to appear strong, using an utterly degraded idiot definition of strength.

I keep coming back to Harvey Dent's line in the Dark Knight. "I want whoever let him off the leash". There are elements of American media and discourse in general that have degenerated into toxic sludge, and when a sane administration takes over I think American society in general will have to have some kind of reckoning with it. I don't know how this kind of pointless rage and wilful stupidity can be fought, but this just doesn't seem sustainable.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline Rostum

« Reply #2687 on: June 15, 2018, 09:20:13 PM »
Delusional or believing enough supreme court judges are in his pocket,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44359434

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #2688 on: June 17, 2018, 05:49:30 AM »
Can someone explain the Tommy Robinson stuff to me?

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #2689 on: June 17, 2018, 08:01:08 PM »
Slate has a good article on the ways you can contribute toward the fight to stop the US government from ripping children and infants away from their parents, putting those children in cages, and then deporting the parents while leaving their children behind ... essentially, child abduction sanctioned by the President of the United States.

I can't believe I have to type that, but here we are.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/06/how-you-can-fight-family-separation-at-the-border.html

Personally, I donate through Act Blue (contributing $25 a month to this cause now) but if you want to help, there's any number of organizations that need it.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 08:04:19 PM by tebakutis »

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #2690 on: June 17, 2018, 08:21:39 PM »
Yeah. It was truly surreal to see that horrible little goblin Jeff Sessions talk about a policy of deliberate cruelty with a happy smile on his face.

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #2691 on: June 17, 2018, 11:00:23 PM »
Yeah. It was truly surreal to see that horrible little goblin Jeff Sessions talk about a policy of deliberate cruelty with a happy smile on his face.

I know there's danger in calling for the jailing of political opponents, but Sessions is one I think should actually be charged with criminal conduct. The UN has called what we're doing a human rights violation, and Trump himself recently declared we will be withdrawing from the UN human rights council.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-us-un-human-rights-council-nikki-haley-israel-north-korea-iran-a8401281.html

I've been very troubled over the past few days. It's all happening so fast. I can't stop thinking about how Emma, my daughter (who is three) would feel if government thugs ripped her out of my arms and put her in a cage, in a Walmart, hundreds of miles away from me. I can't stop thinking about the thousands of children who are EVEN NOW housed 5 to a cage, especially the little ones who aren't old enough to understand anything but that their mommies and daddies aren't there to hug them.

As a parent, I can only imagine the horror and grief I'd be feeling if they took Emma. I can't stop thinking about the poor father who committed suicide in custody after his child was taken. And I can't imagine what those we have in detention (or worse, have deported to a wartorn country WITHOUT THEIR CHILDREN) must be feeling or thinking.

So much of what the Trump administration has done has been horrible, but not immediate. This is immediate. This is horrific, Nazi-level actions being taken right now against CHILDREN in the country in which I live. And other than donating, I honestly don't know what I can do. There's no abducted child tent cities in Maryland to march against.

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #2692 on: June 17, 2018, 11:27:32 PM »
Trump himself recently declared we will be withdrawing from the UN human rights council.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-us-un-human-rights-council-nikki-haley-israel-north-korea-iran-a8401281.html

This doesn't even feel like stupidity any more. It's almost like Trump and co are actively out to bring down Western civilisation.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #2693 on: June 18, 2018, 08:03:39 AM »
So much of what the Trump administration has done has been horrible, but not immediate. This is immediate. This is horrific, Nazi-level actions being taken right now against CHILDREN in the country in which I live. And other than donating, I honestly don't know what I can do. There's no abducted child tent cities in Maryland to march against.
I feel furious and helpless too. There needs to be more international pressure and I've no idea how but the sane people of your country (I refuse to believe they're less then 50%) need to unify, take action and dispose of this corrupt and fascist government.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Rostum

« Reply #2694 on: June 18, 2018, 08:00:47 PM »

Pseudonym for a fascist who set up and left the English Defense league. Made a lot of press by being outspoken but achieved very little except uniting a number of left wing groups against them.

what stuff do you want explaining? 

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #2695 on: June 19, 2018, 09:58:58 AM »
Man, the current situation with migrant children at the US/Mexico border perfectly encapsulates the Trump administration, doesn't it? It's cruel, idiotic, illegal, brings condemnation from every direction and there's no actual plan in place.

At least it's slightly heartening to see that people aren't too jaded to Trumpism to be outraged.

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #2696 on: June 19, 2018, 11:19:40 AM »

Pseudonym for a fascist who set up and left the English Defense league. Made a lot of press by being outspoken but achieved very little except uniting a number of left wing groups against them.

what stuff do you want explaining?

I just saw the #freetommyrobinson thing in my instagram feed and couldn't figure out what the deal was... there seemed to be huge protests (mostly composed of men) and something on going to jail for reporting on a rape case.

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #2697 on: June 19, 2018, 12:52:13 PM »
With regards to the #freetommyrobinson thing. Essentially his 'reporting' was jeopardising an ongoing court case and the court said don't do that or you will be held in contempt of court for causing "substantial risk that the course of justice in the proceedings in question will be seriously impeded or prejudiced". There are restrictions on the press reporting of active cases so that jurors do not become prejudiced.

He was in fact already serving a suspended sentence for contempt of court concerning when he was arrested by police while live-streaming on Facebook outside a grooming trial.

He didn't stop. So they arrested him.
Simple really.
The far-right are claiming it an assault on freedom of speech.

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #2698 on: June 19, 2018, 02:55:27 PM »
Is he a blip or a huge rallying point?  The pictures on instagram made it look like there were enormous protests. Like an alternate universe racist-version of Free Mumia or something.

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2699 on: June 20, 2018, 04:40:55 AM »
@tebakutis and all US people here who are ashamed and angry about Trump and the refugee policies, I cannot stand by and let you think that you are the only country who acts like this. You learned some of these policies and strategies from Australia. We are equally, if not more culpable, inhumane and cruel. I'm sorry, it is unforgivable and I am deeply ashamed.

ETA This is long so have put rest in spoiler to keep compact.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Australia has operated detention camps on two remote, tiny islands in the Pacific, Manus and Nauru, keeping men, women and children there in mouldy tents and prefab huts for many years. Nearly all those people have actually been given refugee status, but their 'crime' is that they came on leaky boats, having fallen prey to people smugglers. Some of those children have been born and grown to school age there. Many of the children answer to a number not a name.

I have never discussed this here before, because I have been closely involved in advocating against, lobbying against and protesting against these policies all the time, for many years. I come to FF to step aside for a while, but now it would be dishonest not to be bring it to your attention.

This has such a long, complex history that it is impossible to try and  explain or detail all that has happened and the sordid politics involved but I will add links to try and give you an overall picture of how things began and how they still stand. I don't expect you to want to read them all, it is extremely depressing, but even the headlines are telling.I owe it to all the decent people on this Forum to acknowledge Australia's guilt and inhumanity.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Solution

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-17/meet-the-forgotten-refugee-children-of-nauru/7935674

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/may/05/suicidal-refugee-child-should-not-be-sent-back-to-nauru-psychiatrist-says?CMP=share_btn_link

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/ng-interactive/2018/jun/20/deaths-in-offshore-detention-the-faces-of-the-people-who-have-died-in-australias-care

How our Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull told your President Trump exactly how he could get around the deal President Obama made to take some of these unfortunate innocent refugees in an exchange.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-04/donald-trump-malcolm-turnbull-refugee-phone-call-transcript/8773422

You can decide to take 1,000 or 100. It is entirely up to you. The obligation is to only go through the process. So that is the first thing. Secondly, the people — none of these people are from the conflict zone. They are basically economic refugees from Iran, Pakistan, and Afghanistan. That is the vast bulk of them. They have been under our supervision for over three years now and we know exactly everything about them.

Trump: Why haven't you let them out? Why have you not let them into your society?

Turnbull: Okay, I will explain why.

It is not because they are bad people. It is because in order to stop people smugglers, we had to deprive them of the product.

So we said if you try to come to Australia by boat, even if we think you are the best person in the world, even if you are a Nobel Prize-winning genius, we will not let you in. Because the problem with the people —

Trump: That is a good idea. We should do that too. You are worse than I am.

Finally from one of the refugees, Behrouz Boochani who has been there for years and eventually managed to make his voice heard worldwide.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jun/20/our-lives-are-have-become-weapons-in-a-rugged-political-contest?CMP=share_btn_link

« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 05:34:43 AM by Lady Ty »
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic