March 21, 2019, 08:03:31 AM

Author Topic: Politics and other ailments of the real world  (Read 210236 times)

Offline Eli_Freysson

Re: Politics and other ailments of the real world
« Reply #2670 on: June 07, 2018, 10:42:15 PM »
So apparently organic matter has been discovered on Mars.

That's... ah... something.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2671 on: June 08, 2018, 04:12:11 AM »
Just reading that US may be in danger of losing Pre-existing Conditions Protection under health insurance.  So sorry about how your system is set up, that sounds seriously scary and horrendous. Hope there is some way you can prevent this happening.
Otherwise insurance companies will easily be able to refuse insurance or charge extra high premiums.

https://takecareblog.com/blog/texas-fold-em
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 04:15:45 AM by Lady Ty »
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #2672 on: June 08, 2018, 07:00:25 PM »
Just reading that US may be in danger of losing Pre-existing Conditions Protection under health insurance.  So sorry about how your system is set up, that sounds seriously scary and horrendous. Hope there is some way you can prevent this happening.
Otherwise insurance companies will easily be able to refuse insurance or charge extra high premiums.

https://takecareblog.com/blog/texas-fold-em

Yes, though many of the blue states are fighting back by trying to pass state regulations that will continue to forbid insurers from pricing people out of insurance due to "pre-existing condition" BS (and in some cases, sentencing them to bankruptcy or death). So, at least in blue states, there is still hope. Texas is F'd though.

I don't know when Republicans got so determined to kill people. As many say, I really do think it was Obama's election. The fact that a black man got elected president, and also that he did so much for the country (saved the auto industry, put the economy back on track, got the Iran deal done, etc) and was blissfully scandal free, just drove so many subtle racists insane. They'd probably kept their racist tendancies largely quelled, but when Obama got elected and Fox News/Breitbart started spewing lies at them about Obama being a secret Muslim Kenyan Terrorist with No Birth Certificate, those people went off the deep end into irrational hatred, determined to undo anything that helped black/brown/gay people even if it hurt themselves.

I guess Republican politicians saw that they could take advantage of the perfect dupes to take power and give themselves tax cuts? Either way, the ACA (or Obamacare) remains a tremendously flawed accomplishment (thanks to the Republicans who tried so hard to sabotage it before it passed) but an accomplishment. I don't think Republicans will rest until it is undone. It may be less about killing people (though they certainly don't care if that happens - those people are poor, after all) and more about ensuring Obama has no accomplishments left. That is Mitch McConnell's stated goal, after all - to ensure no Democrat president can do anything positive for this country, because he cares more about denying credit to Democrats than serving America.

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2673 on: June 10, 2018, 05:21:31 AM »
Thanks for reply @tebakutis. Rightwing govts always make a point of walking back any progressive moves by a Left leaning government but the personal spite involved re ACA/Obamacare is clear. But even beyond that, it is always inevitably about profits for party donors, shareholders and business, as usual.

Our govt is trying to do exactly the same, with our system,Medicare, chipping away at the edges to diminish it,  with a long term goal to demolish and privatise it, leaving us in a similar condition to US. But Medicare is precious, under national rather than any State administration, so policy like that meets huge resistance, outcry and publicity, so hopefully will never succeed.

Pretty clear same tactics are being used in UK with their NHS which was a wonderful system, but being deliberately neglected and allowed to run down. So sorry for the staff in NHS,  all my family have had wonderful care at various times when we were living and working in UK. My granddaughter had life saving hole in the heart op when she was eleven months old as an emergency and it cost nothing.

I just hope that for all of you in US the right to proper healthcare for all will be achieved eventually.
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2674 on: June 10, 2018, 10:26:55 AM »
Yesterday I heard this joke:
"We used to have a 6-month waiting list for any procedure.
Now that the immigrants are going home, we have an 18-month waiting list: turns out they were the staff!"
 ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Yora

« Reply #2675 on: June 10, 2018, 11:05:09 AM »
Schrödinger's Immigrant:  Simultaneously steals jobs and gets unemployment benefits.

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #2676 on: June 10, 2018, 06:51:34 PM »
I can't get over how well this photo represents Trump/the US vs the rest of the G7 countries.

http://time.com/5307314/donald-trump-angela-merkel-g-7-photograph/

That's Trump ... the pelutant child with his crossed arms and his "na na na na na can't hear you!", being confronted by the exasperated adults who lead sane countries.

Offline Yora

« Reply #2677 on: June 10, 2018, 07:55:48 PM »
I remember a headline from Trumps first visit to Berlin:

Leader of the Free World meets Donald Trump

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #2678 on: June 10, 2018, 09:25:33 PM »
@tebakutis, I bet this picture will be the meme of the week soon. Here are the first two interpretations...

"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #2679 on: June 11, 2018, 04:08:57 PM »
So... does Trump have some kind of actual motive for angering all of his county's allies, or is he really just acting in blind chaos?

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #2680 on: June 11, 2018, 04:13:08 PM »
So... does Trump have some kind of actual motive for angering all of his county's allies, or is he really just acting in blind chaos?

He has believed for decades that our allies are taking advantage of us. He sees trade deficits as evidence that we have lost jobs to them. He is fundamentally stupid and deeply ignorant.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #2681 on: June 11, 2018, 04:23:32 PM »
This.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #2682 on: June 11, 2018, 07:57:28 PM »
Yeah. Whoever comes after Pence is sure going to have their hands full.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #2683 on: June 12, 2018, 07:05:36 AM »
Yeah. Whoever comes after Pence is sure going to have their hands full.

You think there would be anyone after Pence?

On the bright side even America can only elect so many unstable lunatics....

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2684 on: June 12, 2018, 08:11:03 AM »
For the EU folks around here.

Today is 'Repeal article 13' day here.
Article 13 is an article snuck into the upcoming copyright law that will be voted on June 20.
It forces big media sites to monitor their content for copyright infringement and forms a certain kind of censorship on the internet.

More about it here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/europe/comments/8q1mfc/on_the_eu_copyright_reform/
and here
https://saveyourinternet.eu