June 21, 2018, 11:04:56 AM

Author Topic: Politics and other ailments of the real world  (Read 149014 times)

Offline Skip

Re: Politics and other ailments of the real world
« Reply #2565 on: January 12, 2018, 03:18:55 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42657954

Good news for England. I am counting on America impeaching him before I have to protest a state visit.

He cancelled the trip because he didn't think he would be "made welcome".

Get used to that, asshole.

Yeah, well, he's not welcome here either, yet here he is. *grimace*
Visit Altearth

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #2566 on: January 12, 2018, 04:12:51 PM »
Don Lemon on CNN. We need more of this. We should have been doing this since Trump started running, but at least, finally, it's being said on national television. Worth watching the whole clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LagxU1Oq0Vw

Offline Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #2567 on: January 17, 2018, 07:59:36 AM »
So I'm sorry that I'm still riled up about this but I was on the phone with a friend that's volunteering with a campaign and one of the other people there she denigrated as a "bernie-bro" going on about how they're the reason the Dem's lost the election.

So let me please lay out some things here:

Basically during the last election Debbie Wasserman Schultz drove the DNC into the ground overpaying vendors and consultants that did nothing (errrr... corruption), leaving no money for states to support congressional elections costing the Dems not only the presidency but congress.

Here's Nomiki Konst on the Unity Reform Commission-- she's on the commission because of Bernie Sanders
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGpMCs7ZAi0

DWS stepped down as Hillary was nominated and interim DNC Chair Donna Brazile inherited a giant mess.  Here's clips from her on the consultants problem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfCzTcEaxyg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hctHOuF_Uq0

So basically Debbie intentionally drove the DNC into the ground, then the Clinton Campaign bailed them out, in exchange for complete control over the DNC during the primary (approving press releases, staffing, budgeting, data, analytics, mailings-- everything), with DSW staying in her post until Hillary got the nomination.  Interim DNC Chair Donna Brazile discovered all this when she took her position. Likely she only had the position because she herself had given the Clinton campaign the questions to the CNN town hall in advance--she denied this several times despite leaked emails and ultimately admitted it after she left the DNC. Anyway, apparently the joint fundraising agreement between the DNC and the Clinton campaign was too much for her so Brazile went to Sanders when she first found out about it, but they didn't go public with it because they were close to the election...but then wikileaks happened with the Russian hack of the DNC exposing the money laundering for a candidate who hadn't yet won the nomination. So Brazile ultimately verified it in the press. Here's some reporting on all of that if you're interested.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/11/donna-brazile-hillary-clinton-bernie-sanders
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Democratic_National_Committee_email_leak

Okay given all this, how can moderate liberals sit there and say "Trump won the election because of Berniebros."  I like many of Clinton's policies.  I voted for her. But every time I hear a centrist say "berniebro" while completely ignoring all of this as if it's a-okay and there's nothing to be fixed it makes me think maybe I shouldn't bother voting next time either. Seriously. It makes me so upset. Go ahead. Keep saying berniebro, centrist liberals, until you have no damn party left.

Offline BeardKing

« Reply #2568 on: January 18, 2018, 09:44:27 PM »
Government shutdown incoming.

I'm so exhausted and disgusted. I've had enough already. I want off this ride.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #2569 on: January 31, 2018, 05:06:47 PM »
For interest to those in Scotland

https://speakout.38degrees.org.uk/campaigns/2529

Although whether there is advantage in being sold out by Holyrood instead of Westminster remains to be seen.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2570 on: February 01, 2018, 12:16:52 AM »

Although whether there is advantage in being sold out by Holyrood instead of Westminster remains to be seen.

At a quick glance, thought you said “Hollywood.”
Hmmm.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Online ScarletBea

• Cruise Director, Positive Invisible Fighter, and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2571 on: February 01, 2018, 08:06:52 AM »

At a quick glance, thought you said “Hollywood.”
Hmmm.
The other day I found out there's a Holywood in Northern Ireland. One L only ;) The UK likes its 'holy' things, hehe
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Also called Ashorvaed, in the Immortal Language of Henry Dale!

Offline Rostum

« Reply #2572 on: February 01, 2018, 07:02:56 PM »
Yeah it's strange how many names are shared between America and the Uk. It's almost like there is some sort of connection.

Online Eli_Freysson

« Reply #2573 on: February 01, 2018, 07:17:39 PM »
There are plenty of things to be sick of them it comes to Trump, but "fake news" has become possibly the biggest one for me. He throws the phrase around almost like a verbal tick. And I think everyone on this forum is smart enough to understand that a free and reliable media is the cornerstone of a free society.

In media class today we listened to a lecture by a seasoned Icelandic reporter. And when he took questions he supported what I've been hearing for a while now: That autocrats around the world are being emboldened in their murderous oppression of the press by that pathetic manbaby in the White House. The man isn't just doing damage to his own country. He is exporting his idiocy.

It's amazing how much damage a lazy, ignorant dum-dum that operates entirely on instinct is capable of doing.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #2574 on: February 01, 2018, 08:08:49 PM »
Trump makes me feel the way I feel whenever there's a movie where some horrific dude rapes and abuses a woman - a cringy, self-concious desire to scream "THAT IS NOT ME!! THAT IS NOT WHAT I AM ABOUT! THAT IS THE OPPOSITE OF EVERYTHING I STAND FOR! I FIGHT THAT WHEN I CANNNNNNNNNN!
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Online Eli_Freysson

« Reply #2575 on: February 02, 2018, 09:06:06 AM »
Any reliable word on when Mueller will get serious?

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #2576 on: February 02, 2018, 03:29:56 PM »
Any reliable word on when Mueller will get serious?

Mueller is serious, but investigations like this take time. Watergate (where Nixon resigned) took almost two years. The news I've read states Mueller's team will keep going through the spring and possibly longer.

The challenge they're facing is the fact that our congressional Republicans have united behind Trump and are trying to protect him (by lying, smearing the FBI, or generally spreading disinformation). They are far beyond looking the other way now - many are actively aiding and abetting Trump's crimes. I honestly have no idea why they'd do this unless they are either completely delusional (and believe gerrymandered districts will protect them) or, worse, they believe Mueller's investigation will somehow ensnare them as well.

Here's the thing to understand about American politics right now. Almost all of our institutions are built on the assumption that the house and senate will behave honorably. The founders foresaw someone like Trump rising to power. What they didn't see is an entire political party (and in this case, one who was in the majority when he rose) setting aside their responsibility to impeach and, instead, actively supporting a criminal. That's the goal of congressional Republicans right now. Protect Trump, and (I guess?) protect themselves.

That's why Mueller can't just release what he has now. Democrats can't do anything unless they get some power back (the 2018 elections are key there). And when Mueller releases whatever he has discovered about Trump (the core of which will likely be money laundering for the mob or Russian connections) his case has to be absolutely airtight and have an overwhelming amount of evidence, or Republicans will simply ignore it.

So, make no mistake. Trump is the symptom and the central problem. But he could not stay in power without the constant support of the House and Senate leaders (currently Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell) and the aid of a ton of Republican senators who have put party and their own profit far ahead of this country. Powerful Republican lawmakers who support/enable Trump (and I make that distinction because there are many reasonable Republicans who do *not* support him) are the biggest threat to America right now.

It's going to be a long, long road to removing the corrupt POS, and at times, I'm genuinely terrified we may not reach the end of it.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #2577 on: February 17, 2018, 11:09:23 PM »
so Trumps stance has gone from didn't happen to nothing to do with us. I think he is squirming.

Online Eli_Freysson

« Reply #2578 on: February 17, 2018, 11:12:14 PM »
so Trumps stance has gone from didn't happen to nothing to do with us. I think he is squirming.

I hope to one day see someone's phone footage of Trump doing a full-blown Hitler Downfall rant.

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #2579 on: February 19, 2018, 04:16:44 AM »
https://www.abc15.com/news/local-news/investigations/bill-that-would-try-and-stop-drive-by-ada-lawsuits-passes-us-house?page=2

So the article isn't wrong. There's many lawsuits designed for getting money out of companies rather than addressing ADA violations. However, this is not the way to stop that. This article fails to cover that they don't actually have to fix anything in 60 days. If you read the bill, it basically says they have to make a minimal effort to fix the problem. There's no operational definition of what an effort consists of, so it could basically mean doing a Google search to see what they can do... And that's it. Could legitimate lawsuits overcome this? Absolutely. But that assumes the people with disabilities have the money to do so, which many don't, and it could take months if not years to work through the legal process. We already have enough trouble as it is.

I'm posting it here mainly because I'm frustrated by the coverage. this news source did a terrible job of finding out why specific disability communities oppose the bill, and seemed to pay more attention to the other side. And I know all this other stuff happening with the government is important, but considering that 20% of our population has a disability, it's awful. But let's just sweep them under the rug again, because you know, Russia.