October 17, 2019, 04:41:15 PM

Author Topic: Politics and other ailments of the real world  (Read 268217 times)

Offline m3mnoch

Re: Politics and other ailments of the real world
« Reply #645 on: June 06, 2016, 03:46:45 PM »
i'm so excited!

we've only got a couple more days before the REAL attacks come out against donald trump.  and the wheels are already falling off:
http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/donald-trump-does-not-have-campaign

also, i discovered this book:
http://hillarybook.nationalmemo.com/

which, on the whole, makes sense when you think about it.  i mean, she's had how many hearings and special investigations over the years?  but, all of them always come up with nothing.  either she has magical powers to intimidate all the most powerful people in the country despite them trying and trying and trying and trying... or they're just making shit up.

BeardKing

« Reply #646 on: June 06, 2016, 04:13:09 PM »
I'm going to go ahead and say it's the latter. :)

Offline WPaladin

« Reply #647 on: June 06, 2016, 07:11:42 PM »
In regards to former secretary Clinton I can for a fact say she is definitely not good for this country.  Though I feel that way about most of the establishment.  When you picture your evil villains in all the stories the ones that masterfully manipulate and know when and what to say and make the lesser factions war with one another and always manages to avoid getting pinned down.  If you have worked for her or her inner circles it is pretty apparent how she feels about the common citizen.  They are toys to be played with and pawns with no other value than to be sacrificed for her gain.

This brings me to Option B the one and only Mr. Trump.  Someone who has made plenty of bad decisions and through the miracle of luck and personality comes out on top again and again.  He is rude and very much the epitome of everything the rest of the world seems to hate about America.  He skates around giving any major defining policy and gets away with it.  He feel like a professional politician without being one.

Finally there is bless his heart Senator Sanders.  Someone who believes the gospel he is preaching and stays true to the beliefs as long as anyone can remember.  However he ideas are too idealistic and he doesn't have a true answer to how he will fund everything and still keep the economy (which is the U.S. number one concern in most recent polls) going.  Which will be fought by every surviving piece of the congress side of the system and fail or will succeed but likely lead the U.S. to what I can only foresee as the Greece scenario.

None of these are happy.  My hope is that Trump wins and then just sits in office and tweets all day and turns into the next Calvin Coolidge and just lets the government do it's job.

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #648 on: June 06, 2016, 10:54:11 PM »
In regards to former secretary Clinton I can for a fact say she is definitely not good for this country.  Though I feel that way about most of the establishment.

feel?  or fact?  two totally different things.

When you picture your evil villains in all the stories the ones that masterfully manipulate and know when and what to say and make the lesser factions war with one another and always manages to avoid getting pinned down.  If you have worked for her or her inner circles it is pretty apparent how she feels about the common citizen.  They are toys to be played with and pawns with no other value than to be sacrificed for her gain.

wait.  you worked for her or her inner circles?

This brings me to Option B the one and only Mr. Trump.  Someone who has made plenty of bad decisions and through the miracle of luck and personality comes out on top again and again.  He is rude and very much the epitome of everything the rest of the world seems to hate about America.  He skates around giving any major defining policy and gets away with it.  He feel like a professional politician without being one.

um.  sure.  if professional u.s. politicians said things like mexicans are rapists, muslims need to be banned, he'd build a wall to dwarf the great wall of china between us and mexico, japan and south korea need nukes, he's not going to release his tax returns, when he gets into power he'll have that mexican judge investigated, etc.

yeah.  trump's totally gonna come out on top this time.

Finally there is bless his heart Senator Sanders.  Someone who believes the gospel he is preaching and stays true to the beliefs as long as anyone can remember.  However he ideas are too idealistic and he doesn't have a true answer to how he will fund everything and still keep the economy (which is the U.S. number one concern in most recent polls) going.  Which will be fought by every surviving piece of the congress side of the system and fail or will succeed but likely lead the U.S. to what I can only foresee as the Greece scenario.

why not like scandinavian countries instead?

None of these are happy.  My hope is that Trump wins and then just sits in office and tweets all day and turns into the next Calvin Coolidge and just lets the government do it's job.

the point of that "wheels falling off" article i just linked was that he's having problems because he doesn't listen to anyone but himself.

are you sure you're not just sitting around watching fox news?

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #649 on: June 06, 2016, 11:18:30 PM »
I actually agree with Clinton being evil. And no, I don't watch Fox News.

She manipulated the democratic party to have her former campaign manager be in charge of the primaries, allowing him to schedule debates when he knew the majority of the party wouldn't be watching. I'm sure there's a whole bunch of other stuff he's done to undercut Sanderson, who wouldn't be much better anyway because he can't do most of what he promises. Clinton's also, hopefully, going to be arrested soon for at least one of the crimes she's committed in this country. Here's the issue. Right now she already has enough people in her pocket to delay the hearing, because she's in a "noble family." If she becomes president, the hearing will never happen because she'll be running things. I won't vote for someone who already got three or four Americans killed through incompetence. As usual, none of the candidates are even close to decent, so I'll vote for whichever one is less likely to take my money and get me killed within their term.

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #650 on: June 06, 2016, 11:40:01 PM »
I actually agree with Clinton being evil. And no, I don't watch Fox News.

She manipulated the democratic party to have her former campaign manager be in charge of the primaries, allowing him to schedule debates when he knew the majority of the party wouldn't be watching. I'm sure there's a whole bunch of other stuff he's done to undercut Sanderson, who wouldn't be much better anyway because he can't do most of what he promises. Clinton's also, hopefully, going to be arrested soon for at least one of the crimes she's committed in this country. Here's the issue. Right now she already has enough people in her pocket to delay the hearing, because she's in a "noble family." If she becomes president, the hearing will never happen because she'll be running things. I won't vote for someone who already got three or four Americans killed through incompetence. As usual, none of the candidates are even close to decent, so I'll vote for whichever one is less likely to take my money and get me killed within their term.

so, you fall on the "she's so diabolical and powerful that even with all the forces in washington -- the cia, the fbi, the entire right side of the aisle, all the people who have been able to do things like shut down the entire government -- trying to simply charge her with a crime, any crime, but are unable to do so" side of the fence.

and logic doesn't dictate that maybe, just maybe, there's nothing really there other than "she's not a criminal, just a bitch who makes old white guys angry"?

Offline WPaladin

« Reply #651 on: June 07, 2016, 12:25:40 AM »
feel?  or fact?  two totally different things.

Fact on personal experience.  Also testimony and discussion with peers and their insight.

wait.  you worked for her or her inner circles?   

You got me on this one. No.  However, overhearing conversation when you are wall dressing is a different story and paints some very unbecoming pictures.

um.  sure.  if professional u.s. politicians said things like mexicans are rapists, muslims need to be banned, he'd build a wall to dwarf the great wall of china between us and mexico, japan and south korea need nukes, he's not going to release his tax returns, when he gets into power he'll have that mexican judge investigated, etc.

Not here to defend Trump.  However, I believe the entire quote though awkward referenced the criminal element not all mexicans.  2.  Muslim immigration being stopped to come up with a better solution is not banning Muslims as a whole.   If you can quote him saying he wants to directly ban and kick out the Muslim population in the U.S. I will admit being wrong here.  Japan and South Korea don't want nukes so moot point.  If they did have them it would be significantly less scary than some other nations that do have them.  I don't care about tax returns they are all a bunch of rich people who in all of my life experience don't understand or actually care about the working class.  He says things that annoy normal people because he gets emotional which is strangely enough refreshing to me.  Though that aspect I agree is out of line.

yeah.  trump's totally gonna come out on top this time. 

Never said he was, only my hope in the current options is that he does and then chooses to do nothing in office and let the legislature (hopefully a replaced and more useful one) do their jobs.  I can't predict the future.

why not like scandinavian countries instead?

Often persistent negative economic growth, economy based on tourism and natural finite resources, tax rates and loss of high level doctors to capitalist countries that would remain.  Lots of room to debate the pros and cons.  However bottom line on this is I value less federal control and more access to freedoms.

the point of that "wheels falling off" article i just linked was that he's having problems because he doesn't listen to anyone but himself.

Then let him be a do nothing president is my take on this. 

are you sure you're not just sitting around watching fox news?

I have watch plenty of news from many sources around the world.  I am well traveled with face time with many different culture governments and ideologies all of which I have had the pleasure of learning from.  We are not perfect and neither are the other countries.  I speak because I am concerned.  The foundation of freedom I believe in and work everyday to support.  However if you want to paint me in a box and attack my concern that is your right. I will do everything I can to support those rights no matter if we disagree.  That is the lot I have chosen with my freedom.

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #652 on: June 07, 2016, 01:34:34 AM »
I have watch plenty of news from many sources around the world.  I am well traveled with face time with many different culture governments and ideologies all of which I have had the pleasure of learning from.  We are not perfect and neither are the other countries.  I speak because I am concerned.  The foundation of freedom I believe in and work everyday to support.  However if you want to paint me in a box and attack my concern that is your right. I will do everything I can to support those rights no matter if we disagree.  That is the lot I have chosen with my freedom.

painting in a box?  heck no!  freedom?  heck yes!

heh.  i know enough conservatives (my full-colonel-worked-at-the-pentagon-best-friend-since-grade-school being one of many) to know there's a lot of nuance among the group.  not to mention, i'm the only male -- dad, brother, uncles, grandfather, step-dad, step-brother, step-in-laws, basically in my whole family -- to not go into the military.  and they cover all branches, from running nukes to the army corps of engineers.

so, yeah.  to say i am familiar with conservatives is a gross understatement.

tho, i'm fascinated.  you make it sound like you've been pretty close to the wheels of washington.  now, i'm completely curious as to what you do for a living.

Offline WPaladin

« Reply #653 on: June 07, 2016, 01:43:55 AM »
Just a civil servant.

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #654 on: June 07, 2016, 02:16:38 AM »
Just a civil servant.

hrm.  that's kind of an anticlimactic occupation reveal.

but, nice to meet you nonetheless!

Offline WPaladin

« Reply #655 on: June 07, 2016, 02:55:39 AM »
Just a civil servant.

I wanted to say Commander Shepard but that would have been a lie.  Though, we both have gotten shot at s/he seems to have cooler friends. 

With that my hijacking is done.  Continue the debate and discussion.

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #656 on: June 07, 2016, 03:37:18 AM »
Just a civil servant.

I wanted to say Commander Shepard but that would have been a lie.  Though, we both have gotten shot at s/he seems to have cooler friends. 

that would have been so awesome!  total missed opportunity!

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #657 on: June 07, 2016, 03:44:44 AM »
Just a civil servant.

that would have been so awesome!  total missed opportunity!

oh.  and apparently my response could have been taken as a "public servants are lame" reply.  it was absolutely a "there are sooooo many positions that fall under public servant from librarians to the president of the united states and all you say is public servant" response.

just in case, i thought i'd clear that up.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #658 on: June 07, 2016, 07:12:27 PM »
It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried.Winston Churchill

You guys are trying really hard to prove him wrong.

Offline Rukaio_Alter

• Writing Contest Regular and Ineffectual Comic Relief
  • Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: June 07, 2016, 09:01:51 PM »
Wait, are people trying to seriously argue on here that Donald Trump would be better for the country than Hillary Clinton? Because that's just... no, just no... For all her admitted flaws, Hillary is nowhere goddamn near as bad as Trump.

Let's go over this, shall we? Trump, to date...
-Has openly advocated War Crimes.
-Has openly mocked women, disabled people and McCain for being a Prisoner of War
-Has openly threatened to shut down news organisations that mock him.
-Refuses to denounce hate groups/white supremacists who support him.
-Is openly bigoted
-Is openly sexist
-Has zilch in the way of political experience
-Is a habitual liar (and this is by politician standards, which are already fairly terrible)
-Has openly advocated for his supporters to beat up protesters and refuses to condemn those that do
-Acts tough but has a thinner skin than plastic wrap
-Has only one real consistent policy (the Mexico Wall) which not only would be ridiculous and expensive but, as anyone with any kind of knowledge of illegal immigration would tell you, would not work in the slightest.
-Can be reasonably argued that he's a genuine fascist
-Is an immature, narcissistic manchild

Hillary, at worst, is going to be more of the same. Benghazi and the email server thing are bullshit scandals blown out of all proportions by Republicans who have been desperate to smear her for years. And while there are genuine worries to be had about things Clinton's ties to Wall Street or her foreign policy (which is still miles better than Trump's advocating war crimes), it's also easy to forget that she's quite likely the most qualified candidate of the entire field. Sanders certainly has the better ideas (which is why I'm torn between which I'd support), but his suggestions for putting them into place have been fairly spotty. But either candidate is still miles better than Trump who is genuinely hateful and dangerous. And don't give me that 'I'm sure he'll improve when he gets into to office' crap. Saying there's a chance he might not start World War III over Vladmir Putin insulting him in a meeting is a terrible argument no matter how you try to spin it. If anything, his recent attacks on that Hispanic judge have proved beyond a doubt that no matter how much allied Republicans try to keep him under control, he's going to do whatever the hell he wants, consequences be damned. And that is not someone you want in control of the largest arsenal in the world.

TLDR: No matter how much you dislike her, Hillary is nowhere near as bad as Trump. Trying to argue otherwise is silly.
5 Times Winner of the Forum Writing Contest who Totally Hasn't Let it All go to his Head.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Also, <Insert GOD EMPEROR OF THE WRITING CONTEST joke here>