October 19, 2019, 09:21:53 PM

Author Topic: Politics and other ailments of the real world  (Read 268794 times)

Offline Rostum

Re: Politics and other ailments of the real world
« Reply #630 on: May 30, 2016, 09:18:55 PM »
Looks like we are back to the 'If you are going to put people on a pedastool wear a broad brimmed hat'
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 10:38:22 PM by Rostum »

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #631 on: May 30, 2016, 09:56:17 PM »
I think the term faggot applied to homosexuals is 19th-20th centuary. Do you have any evidence for this. Not trying to be any more arguementative than normal but I have never come across an auto de fe for and sexual trangression?

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=faggot
Thanks, m3m! It seems Jmack was caught in an urban legend.

I remember giggling at an Edward Thomas poem at school called The 50 faggots. Was actually about people collecting faggots for the winter. No awareness of any inenuendo so certainly that expression is later than World War I.

Strange. I heard this from a gay friends, so assumed it was fact. I hadn't caught up on this thread for a while, so didn't see the debunking above.

Oddly, today I was researching my WIP and was reading a dictionary of 1920s slang. The dictionary noted the first use of the word "faggot" for gay men in the 1920s. It mentioned that "faggot" - a bundle of sticks - had been previously applied as a derogatory for women. [A burden to carry around, like a bundle of sticks.] When I dug further, I found references to the burn-at-the-stake derivation as an urban legend. While gay people had been burned at the stake in various places, they were hanged in England. (vive la difference, not)

And then confirmed here. Odd timing.
But an insult and crudity under any origin story.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #632 on: June 01, 2016, 03:16:29 PM »
*boggle*

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/trumps-veterans-controversy-goes-bad-worse

At another point yesterday, Trump insisted, “I didn’t want to have credit” for the charitable donations, except we know that’s not true, either: he obviously did want credit, which is why he held a televised fundraiser in which he boasted about his self-proclaimed leadership on raising money for veterans.

the general election is going to be a bloodbath.  i bet texas turns blue.

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #633 on: June 03, 2016, 02:31:34 PM »
Because pointing out he lied about anything, or explaining why one of his randomly spouted plans isn't possible is "a hit piece".

"One of the things I'm going to do if I win, and I hope we do and we're certainly leading. I'm going to open up our libel laws so when they write purposely negative and horrible and false articles, we can sue them and win lots of money. We're going to open up those libel laws. So when The New York Times writes a hit piece which is a total disgrace or when The Washington Post, which is there for other reasons, writes a hit piece, we can sue them and win money instead of having no chance of winning because they're totally protected," Trump said.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/on-media/2016/02/donald-trump-libel-laws-219866

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #634 on: June 03, 2016, 04:25:42 PM »
Because pointing out he lied about anything, or explaining why one of his randomly spouted plans isn't possible is "a hit piece".

"One of the things I'm going to do if I win, and I hope we do and we're certainly leading. I'm going to open up our libel laws so when they write purposely negative and horrible and false articles, we can sue them and win lots of money. We're going to open up those libel laws. So when The New York Times writes a hit piece which is a total disgrace or when The Washington Post, which is there for other reasons, writes a hit piece, we can sue them and win money instead of having no chance of winning because they're totally protected," Trump said.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/on-media/2016/02/donald-trump-libel-laws-219866

I veer between this man is hateful and egotistic - but really sort of harmless-  to, this man is evil.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: June 03, 2016, 09:32:05 PM »
Self-centered stupidity is one of the worst kinds of evil.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #636 on: June 03, 2016, 10:19:31 PM »
then there's obama.

he's (if you can even follow what they're saying) going to 1) release all the blacks from prison to 2) make room for all the christians he's going to throw in, 3) activate the beyonces to go out and kill cops, then 4) not leave the presidency after his term's up.

these people not only exist, but vote.

[youtube]p8TSfkWv1dU[/youtube]

Offline Mr.J

• Anus Dracula formerly known as Arse Demon and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: June 03, 2016, 11:09:57 PM »
Just to break away from the awfulness of the US election I thought I'd chip in with this little nugget of genius from the guy who is the former EDUCATION secretary in the UK, when discussing our EU Referendum coming up...

People in this country have had enough of experts
- Michael Gove.

Yea fuck those 'Experts', what have people with intelligence, training, knowledge and experience ever done for us? We're all fucking doomed.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #638 on: June 03, 2016, 11:49:54 PM »
I hate to tell you this but it has been govenment policy to ignore experts even ones they employ for longer than you or even I have been alive.

Even staunch tories are unlikely to say that Gove would have any comprehension of other peoples views after the issues he has caused not listening to anyone else it is a miracle he still holds a cabinet post.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: June 04, 2016, 12:40:52 PM »
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #640 on: June 04, 2016, 02:54:35 PM »
Just to break away from the awfulness of the US election I thought I'd chip in with this little nugget of genius from the guy who is the former EDUCATION secretary in the UK, when discussing our EU Referendum coming up...

People in this country have had enough of experts
- Michael Gove.

Yea fuck those 'Experts', what have people with intelligence, training, knowledge and experience ever done for us? We're all fucking doomed.

yah.  that's not just a uk issue.  i'm sure you can find ridiculous quotes like that all over the u.s. house of representatives.  bleagh.

this article on the subject is super-interesting.
http://thefederalist.com/2014/01/17/the-death-of-expertise/

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #641 on: June 04, 2016, 03:40:09 PM »
You have to admit there's kind of  a point to that. "Well, experts say..." "According to experts..." It's almost to the point where I'm willing to say, "Yep. Everyone on every side has experts that they've paid enough money to for them to say whatever they want." Does that happen all of the time? Certainly not. but it still does, so whenever I hear that phrase, I stop listening to whoever said it. Another one that's just as bad. "Studies show..." "According to this survey..." Same situation, different terms.

Basically what I'm saying is, I doubt that phrase was meant to be taken literally.

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #642 on: June 04, 2016, 03:48:54 PM »
that reminds me of this quote from that article:

Tackle a complex policy issue with a layman today, and you will get snippy and sophistic demands to show ever increasing amounts of “proof” or “evidence” for your case, even though the ordinary interlocutor in such debates isn’t really equipped to decide what constitutes “evidence” or to know it when it’s presented.

if you go look at the "experts" making statements, it's pretty easy to discover which are actually experts and which are members of partisan-funded think-tanks.  from there, it's not difficult to parse facts from fiction.

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #643 on: June 04, 2016, 05:56:20 PM »
sorry for the double-post, but this begs to be read.

trump tweeted:
In Crooked Hillary's telepromter speech yesterday, she made up things that I said or believe but have no basis in fact. Not honest!

hillary responded, quoting her speech word-by-word, with links to exactly where trump said them:
https://www.hillaryclinton.com/briefing/updates/2016/06/02/trump-literally-said-all-those-things/

gloves.  are.  off.

internet and tv this fall are going to be SMOTHERED in video of trump saying ridiculous, dangerous, irresponsible things juxtaposed with exactly why they're awful.  not hinted at, but full-on blatant.  she will get to do and say things the other republican candidates couldn't because they were all trying to appeal to the same "republican base" of voters.

hillary doesn't give a shit about pandering to the republican base.

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #644 on: June 04, 2016, 08:28:06 PM »
Since the Republican primary is wrapped up, I'm pretty much past the "arguing about whether Trump is a terrible candidate or not" phase, and from here forward, I'll simply be posting links outlining his unique mix of buffoonery and genuine threats to US democracy.

http://www.avclub.com/article/idiocracy-writers-team-terry-crews-anti-trump-ads-237726

Talking to BuzzFeed, Cohen says he and Judge “thought it would take much, much longer to get to this point,” and that they considered the film a satire of celebrity culture, and its political elements “a crazy joke.” He says that, at first, the parallels between this election cycle and the film were “just a general lizard brain kind of thing.” Then, he says, “it started to get, as the year went on, weirdly specific ... the more things go on, the more it actually seems to be kind of merging in a very specific, eerie way.”