October 15, 2019, 12:59:45 PM

Author Topic: Politics and other ailments of the real world  (Read 267397 times)

Online Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
Re: Politics and other ailments of the real world
« Reply #585 on: April 23, 2016, 06:39:52 AM »
Warning: Lady Ty Rant

I usually avoid contributing to this thread because I have very strong political views and do not hesitate to express and discuss them elsewhere

I'm surprised I thought it was you who brought politics into the kings paw and we ended up with this topic as people didn't want the kings paw overrun with politics as it could get heated. Hehe I think it was the Australian election's
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 06:43:07 AM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: April 23, 2016, 07:55:02 AM »
Warning: Lady Ty Rant

I usually avoid contributing to this thread because I have very strong political views and do not hesitate to express and discuss them elsewhere

I'm surprised I thought it was you who brought politics into the kings paw and we ended up with this topic as people didn't want the kings paw overrun with politics as it could get heated. Hehe I think it was the Australian election's

;D Yes, true, I accidentally started more serious discussion by others here through posting this

Absolutely not going to bring actual politics into the forum except to mention in passing that today Australia began with one Prime Minister and before I go to bed I'll be able to tell you if he is still there or if we have a new one. ;D ;D ;D
Won't be a different party in Govt, but we don't waste time here always waiting for elections to change the boss. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Edited to Add : Australia has new Prime Minister now. ;D ;D ;D

But I did follow up with

Rostum yes I have huge interest in politics, and enjoyed your particular comments, but come to F-F to escape it.  I should have held back on my comment, but my cynical self found the whole performance here yesterday very funny. I apologise, because RL politics doesn't have a place here on our friendly forum except as reflected in pure fiction and writing contests. ;D.

So others obligingly started a separate thread, which I can't help reading, but prefer never to comment here, because I would get cranky and need a Cake Therapist  :P
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Online Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: April 23, 2016, 08:52:51 AM »
I be starting on the cake therapist soon :-) as well .
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #588 on: April 23, 2016, 05:30:25 PM »
And, I don't know if it will reassure you or the other people who are worried about the case you've mentioned (a man being able to claim to be a woman, simply for the purpose of gawking at boobs), but ... that isn't happening. It's a problem that doesn't exist. So, there's no need to be worried about it. :)

One addendum: Should also be clear that politicians from all parties have been known to do this, for different purposes. It's not a right or left wing thing.
At the moment, I don't see a need for a guy to put on a dress and walk into a bathroom to look at girls. There's no transgender protection for him at the moment. If it becomes legal though, that's one of the problems we could face. How can there be any problems for a situation that hasn't been made widely legal yet?
But... a guy putting on a dress + going into a bathroom to look at girls would still be illegal. There's a lot more to being transgender than simply putting on different clothes.
Right, and that's not what I'm saying. i understand that transgender people do more than simply put on the other gender's clothes. What I'm saying is that is one of the only ways to tell when they're still going through the surgery, or aren't able to have the surgery yet.

BeardKing

« Reply #589 on: April 25, 2016, 03:49:41 PM »
Sorry for the meme, but it fit with the discussion.

The whole bathroom thing is like @tebakutis said; it's a solution for a non-existent problem. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #590 on: April 28, 2016, 07:07:46 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2016-36163188

How does this fit into the separation of church and state?

Offline Mr.J

• Anus Dracula formerly known as Arse Demon and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: April 28, 2016, 07:13:09 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2016-36163188

How does this fit into the separation of church and state?
Lucifer in the flesh, as opposed to ghost lucifer! Woooooooo. #2spooky

Offline Rostum

« Reply #592 on: May 03, 2016, 07:11:47 PM »
Corruption, Intrigue and incompetant attempted murder (allegedly)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36185194

Offline Hedin

« Reply #593 on: May 03, 2016, 08:23:02 PM »
Well my state is probably going to seal the nomination for Trump today.  He'll still be mathematically short but if he wins Indiana it looks like it'll be his nomination to lose.

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #594 on: May 03, 2016, 08:31:08 PM »
So, maybe I'm reading this incorrectly. But here's how it came off.

"If Trump gets enough delegates, then hopefully he'll lose the nomination since the Republican Party officials don't like him."

I know many don't like Trump. I'm not a huge fan either. But is taking the people's choice away really the best decision? Despite how much I disagree with it and my wish that Carson had won, I can't support taking away democratic choice. It's setting a dangerous precedent. "Oh, we don't need the people anymore. We can just nominate whoever we like now. No big deal." Maybe the response is, "But it's for the greater good. We need to protect this country from Trump." First, we're all Fantasy readers. We've read enough about villains doing the wrong thing in the name of the greater good. Second, I've heard people say that if Trump wins the nomination, then the liberal candidate will win by a landslide. So what's the big deal? Let him win. If people are so confident that Trump will lose, then there shouldn't be any worries.

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #595 on: May 05, 2016, 03:54:35 PM »
A bit on UK politics.
Today there are local elections in England, and for the Scottish and Welsh Parliaments in Scotland and Wales.

I discovered that EU citizens living here can vote for the Scottish and Welsh Parliament --> fair enough, they are affected by the decisions made there.
However my situation is unfair because there's no 'English Parliament' and I can't vote in the General Elections, so I have zero say in the big decisions that affect me.

Sure, I'll go vote in the locals, but the power that councils have is quite small in the big scheme of things :-\
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #596 on: May 05, 2016, 03:56:10 PM »
So, maybe I'm reading this incorrectly. But here's how it came off.

"If Trump gets enough delegates, then hopefully he'll lose the nomination since the Republican Party officials don't like him."

I know many don't like Trump. I'm not a huge fan either. But is taking the people's choice away really the best decision? Despite how much I disagree with it and my wish that Carson had won, I can't support taking away democratic choice. It's setting a dangerous precedent. "Oh, we don't need the people anymore. We can just nominate whoever we like now. No big deal." Maybe the response is, "But it's for the greater good. We need to protect this country from Trump." First, we're all Fantasy readers. We've read enough about villains doing the wrong thing in the name of the greater good. Second, I've heard people say that if Trump wins the nomination, then the liberal candidate will win by a landslide. So what's the big deal? Let him win. If people are so confident that Trump will lose, then there shouldn't be any worries.

Well, it's pretty much a done thing now.
And I'm not at all confident he'll lose.   :-\
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #597 on: May 05, 2016, 04:01:56 PM »
I'm not either, but I've seen several posts that predict a landslide. We'll see where this goes.

Also Scarlet, that's messed up and would infuriate me. Hopefully some changes can be made there. I don't completely understand your situation, but it sounds like not everyone has the right to choose.

Offline Hedin

« Reply #598 on: May 05, 2016, 04:45:21 PM »
Landslide predictions always worry me because if enough people believe that then maybe they figure they don't need to vote and things become a lot closer than they normally should be.  Hillary is definitely not a popular candidate and I too think its going to be close.   I can't believe I'm actually going to have to vote for one of these two.

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #599 on: May 05, 2016, 05:16:42 PM »
Landslide predictions always worry me because if enough people believe that then maybe they figure they don't need to vote and things become a lot closer than they normally should be.  Hillary is definitely not a popular candidate and I too think its going to be close.   I can't believe I'm actually going to have to vote for one of these two.

RANT INCOMING. Yes, another one. I apologize in advance. :0

I'm hoping even people who aren't big fans of Hillary Clinton will recognize that, since it's a choice between her and Trump, voting "defensively" is better than not voting at all. Even if you don't feel Hillary is going to be the president you want, you *know* what type of president Trump is going to be. Even most sane Republicans don't want him in power.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2016/05/03/any-republican-who-thinks-its-better-to-elect-trump-than-hillary-needs-their-head-examined.html?intcmp=hphz03

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/05/05/former-presidents-bush-plan-to-sit-out-2016-general-election.html?intcmp=hpbt1

Interesting fact: this is the first election in which the Bushes could endorse the Republican candidate and have not done so. Yet for some reason, they're "staying out of it". I wonder why.

Trump is a man who has repeatedly gone bankrupt, a man who endorses and encourages his supporters to commit violence against people at his rallies, a man with such a fragile ego he freaks out whenever anyone talks about his fingers being small. A man prone to temper tantrums and completely out of touch with reality (Mexico will pay for that wall!) is not someone we want in charge of our domestic and foreign policy, nor our military. I've already ranted extensively about how unqualified and dangerous Trump is many times. While I don't think he'll win, it is *possible*, and that scares me. He shouldn't even have gotten this far.

Not to mention (as someone recently pointed out) a Trump presidency has already been called out as one of the top 10 risks to world stability.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-35828747

The EIU ranking uses a scale of one to 25, with Mr Trump garnering a rating of 12, the same level of risk as "the rising threat of jihadi terrorism destabilising the global economy".

We know how this happened ... when you tell enough people, enough times, that the president you disagree with politically is a communist, fascist, Muslim dictator who wants to take their guns away, make you get gay married, and destroy our military while hiding his birth certificate because he's not qualified to be president, eventually, you're going to convince some portion of the population those things are true.

The problem with the right-wing media in this country is they have only just realized they can no longer control the Frankenstein monster they have created. They have constantly lied to people to stir up votes for things these people would never support (tax cuts for millionaires and corporations, etc) because they've blinded these people with social issues. All they want to do is make themselves richer and more powerful, but they've managed to focus many voters purely on keeping two people who love each other from getting married, or what bathroom people use. They have poor people voting against their own self interest.

For instance, many poor white folks who are on food stamps actually vote for candidates who want to eliminate food stamps. How nuts is that? They've succeeded because they've promised to stop "the gays" from getting married, and to stop the government from "taking all your guns away" (which will absolutely *never* happen).

Not being able to eat affects a large number of poor voters far more than whether two people they don't know can get married in another state, but that's not what these people focus on, because the right-wing media has ensured they see other things instead. The problem is, this year, Trump took what the right-wing media were doing and turned it up to 11. And he stole all the misguided voters created by Rush Limbaugh and Fox News.

The other problem is that, assuming we do manage to stop Trump from becoming president, these same right-wing pundits and media who have spent so much time convincing people "President Obama is out to get you!" will go right back to what they've been doing after this election, completely ignoring the fact that their distortions and lies are the reason enough people in America are willingly voting for Trump.

If, God forbid, this country does somehow elect Trump, we will take the first steps toward Idiocracy, and President Camacho de Mountain Dew can't be far behind.

On the other hand, if we elect Hillary, 24 will suddenly become one of the most prescient shows (at least regarding future presidents) ever to air on television. So ... there's that?