December 06, 2019, 02:56:30 AM

Author Topic: Politics and other ailments of the real world  (Read 285796 times)

Offline Rostum

Re: Politics and other ailments of the real world
« Reply #480 on: March 10, 2016, 11:49:46 AM »
(note that you quoted something that was supposed to be a wind-up, see further down that post...)

I thought at the time it was out of character. This is the problem with not sleeping you miss the obvious a take a less than objective view of what you see.

Thanks Bea and sorry Chris.

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #481 on: March 10, 2016, 02:40:29 PM »
(note that you quoted something that was supposed to be a wind-up, see further down that post...)

I thought at the time it was out of character. This is the problem with not sleeping you miss the obvious a take a less than objective view of what you see.

Thanks Bea and sorry Chris.

*pishaw*  no apologies necessary -- i took zero offense, man.  it was a non-standard post.  elephants in the room and all that.

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: March 10, 2016, 11:55:54 PM »
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: March 12, 2016, 07:50:18 PM »
Been catching up on American politics. While you can't trust the Underwoods, I am not convinced by Conway.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #484 on: March 15, 2016, 02:16:39 PM »
i've seen a couple versions.  this one is pretty good.

"these are not people"

[youtube]en_s2QnAgBE[/youtube]

Offline Rostum

« Reply #485 on: March 15, 2016, 03:10:14 PM »
Thats a worrying fit.

[youtube]AxfbcSqwzRQ[/youtube]
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 03:12:10 PM by Rostum »

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #486 on: March 15, 2016, 07:54:49 PM »
The internet came into being so that, one day, we could all appreciate this wonderful gif.

https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: March 15, 2016, 11:00:08 PM »
^^^ ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Can'tstop watching  ;D ;D ;D ;D
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Mr.J

• Anus Dracula formerly known as Arse Demon and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: March 16, 2016, 12:21:50 AM »
Trump won Florida. This election has nothing to do with me as I'm not from there, but:

AMERICA WHAT ARE YOU DOING.

"Ted Cruz's Pastor says all gays should be executed before introducing him"

THERE IS NO HOPE RUN AWAY #!@@?!

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #489 on: March 16, 2016, 02:07:20 AM »
Much as I dislike all the major candidates for an equal number of reasons (Gary Johnson 2016!), Kasich needs to drop out so it can be Cruz v. Trump to the end, because Cruz is obviously the lesser of the two evils and actually has a shot at beating the #TrumpTrain.

The more and more I watch this election cycle, the more I'm beginning to hate winner-take-all systems through a single-member district representation.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline CryptofCthulhu

« Reply #490 on: March 16, 2016, 07:54:19 AM »
It's shocking to watch the latest Republican debates side by side with the Democratic ones.

"I've got small hands but a huge d**k" vs discussions on student debt, Affordable Care against Single Payer, immigration reform and institutionalized racism.

I can't help but think that Sanders and Clinton have had a lot of practice at debating actual policies in these last few months and that, whoever the Republican nominee is, will get decimated in the upcoming head-to-head debates. Or maybe not, as this presidential election is not short on surprises and unpredictable turns.

Well Clinton has been a self-serving, career politician for a long time. It shouldn't be surprising that she is well coached at the debates to the point where she comes off as robotic.
“Silence is only frightening to people who are compulsively verbalizing.” ~ William S. Boroughs

Offline Rostum

« Reply #491 on: March 16, 2016, 09:06:48 AM »
Much as I dislike all the major candidates for an equal number of reasons (Gary Johnson 2016!), Kasich needs to drop out so it can be Cruz v. Trump to the end, because Cruz is obviously the lesser of the two evils and actually has a shot at beating the #TrumpTrain.

And this is the fundamental flaw with democracy sooner of later you are voting for the least worst or voting against someone rather than for someone else. Parties bring the whole serving two masters arguement to the table. Party interests are no necessarily the same as those of the people the politiciams are supposed to be representing and suddenly you find yourself choosing between two or more loathesome individuals not worth wasting your vote on, who are so far from anyone you would want to elect and in our free and fair world you are told the people have spoken.

Offline CryptofCthulhu

« Reply #492 on: March 16, 2016, 10:04:08 AM »
If memory Serves, when Shrub Jr. was in office, Kasich had his own show on Fox News and basically came across as a run of the mill neo-con. He's a piece of garbage.
“Silence is only frightening to people who are compulsively verbalizing.” ~ William S. Boroughs

Offline Mr.J

• Anus Dracula formerly known as Arse Demon and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: March 16, 2016, 12:45:07 PM »

The more and more I watch this election cycle, the more I'm beginning to hate winner-take-all systems through a single-member district representation.
In what way is Cruz the lesser of two evils? He's just as fuck headed and disturbing as Trump, his pastor literally called for the execution of gay people. Cruz is just as for throwing out muslims and anyone foreign as Trump is. He is not lesser, they are the same in two different haircuts.

BeardKing

« Reply #494 on: March 16, 2016, 01:11:40 PM »
It's a sad day for us Bernie supporters. Does he still have a chance? Sure, but it's very improbable.

When it comes to the general election and it's Hillary vs. Trump, I of course have to vote Hillary. IMO, Trump as president would be a total disaster.