October 15, 2019, 12:24:06 PM

Author Topic: Politics and other ailments of the real world  (Read 267389 times)

Offline Rostum

Re: Politics and other ailments of the real world
« Reply #360 on: February 09, 2016, 07:27:26 PM »
Lots of thought going into this train wreck, but at the end of the day big business gets re-elected.

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #361 on: February 09, 2016, 08:59:56 PM »
my official predictions:

trump:  28%
rubio:  22%
kasich: 13%

bernie:  55%
hillary:  45%

I'm thinking the same thing, yeah.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #362 on: February 09, 2016, 10:13:02 PM »
I'm thinking the same thing, yeah.

great minds think alike and all that.

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: February 10, 2016, 10:42:26 AM »
So much for that being close-run!  :P
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

BeardKing

« Reply #364 on: February 10, 2016, 02:09:51 PM »
A yuuuuuuuge win by Bernie last night! :D

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #365 on: February 10, 2016, 02:13:30 PM »
Poor Carson. I know the chance of him winning is slim, but I'm still getting behind him. Out of everyone, he's the one I trust the most.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #366 on: February 10, 2016, 02:30:48 PM »
Poor Carson. I know the chance of him winning is slim, but I'm still getting behind him. Out of everyone, he's the one I trust the most.

I have to say my positive impression of Kasich isn't a very educated one, but you might give him a look.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline DireWolfSnow

« Reply #367 on: February 10, 2016, 02:48:38 PM »
I really, really like Ben Carson as a person. He's humble, polite, intelligent, and is probably the most honest candidate out of the bunch. I would like to see more from him in the future.

However, Kaisch is probably the most viable candidate overall. He has a good record of working with democratic candidates as well as a history of being able to provide for the social welfare and keep a balanced budget.

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #368 on: February 10, 2016, 03:03:56 PM »
I really, really like Ben Carson as a person. He's humble, polite, intelligent, and is probably the most honest candidate out of the bunch.

i keep hearing this and totally agree -- he's very polite, very honest, and very intelligent in his field of expertise.

that being said, he is nowhere near capable of standing at a podium and commanding the world.  he doesn't have the charisma to lead with soft power, nor the force of personality to lead with hard.  not to mention his extreme religious devotion coupled with a dunning-kruger attitude gives him massive political blind spots.

but, yeah, he's a nice guy.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #369 on: February 10, 2016, 04:44:35 PM »
Meanwhile in the UK http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35536278

Kafka being read as an instruction manual.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #370 on: February 10, 2016, 05:14:10 PM »
Meanwhile in the UK http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35536278

Kafka being read as an instruction manual.

Well, that's charming.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline CryptofCthulhu

« Reply #371 on: February 16, 2016, 08:16:52 AM »
The presidential race has shown that the GOP is still focusing on old men when they should be focusing on the youth. Conservatives need a new party to gravitate towards young men as they have little in common with the old guard.

There's nothing wrong with being conservative in certain areas, like economics.

I still prefer the middle of the road as opposed to taking one side over the other, as neither seem to be able to provide solutions that are workable in the long run.

There is no perfect solution that will solve all our problems, it's always going to be a matter of making something better at the cost of making something else worse. The best we can hope for is things are made better while simultaneously trying to minimize how much other things become worse.
“Silence is only frightening to people who are compulsively verbalizing.” ~ William S. Boroughs

Offline CryptofCthulhu

« Reply #372 on: February 16, 2016, 08:22:09 AM »
The Democrats would have been better off with someone like Biden as a candidate, assuming he could distance himself enough from the Obama administration.

“Silence is only frightening to people who are compulsively verbalizing.” ~ William S. Boroughs

Offline CryptofCthulhu

« Reply #373 on: February 16, 2016, 08:25:04 AM »
I really, really like Ben Carson as a person. He's humble, polite, intelligent, and is probably the most honest candidate out of the bunch.

i keep hearing this and totally agree -- he's very polite, very honest, and very intelligent in his field of expertise.

that being said, he is nowhere near capable of standing at a podium and commanding the world.  he doesn't have the charisma to lead with soft power, nor the force of personality to lead with hard.  not to mention his extreme religious devotion coupled with a dunning-kruger attitude gives him massive political blind spots.

but, yeah, he's a nice guy.

Like a lot of these guys and gals, they are really good at one or two things and think because of this they are capable of tackling areas that are outside their area of expertise.

This is the fatal flaw of intellectuals (not saying Carson necessarily falls into this category).

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #374 on: February 17, 2016, 07:34:41 PM »
The Democrats would have been better off with someone like Biden as a candidate, assuming he could distance himself enough from the Obama administration.

i dunno if distancing themselves from obama is a necessary thing.  his legacy is probably going to be pretty amazing.  despite the fact-deniers.

http://crooksandliars.com/2016/01/obamas-legacy-great-man-good-president-bad