October 16, 2019, 01:18:14 PM

Author Topic: Politics and other ailments of the real world  (Read 267967 times)

Offline ultamentkiller

Re: Politics and other ailments of the real world
« Reply #345 on: February 02, 2016, 09:42:23 PM »
Oh boy. So no one kill me. I knew one of these already but...
79% Ben Carson, tied with Rand Paul.
I don't like Paul, but Carson I can get behind. I took this at the end of last semester for my government class. Apparently, my political views only line up with 13% of the population. I kind of like that. Sure, I'm the minority, but at least I'm positive I'm not being sucked into the political machine.
There are not too many people involved in the Fantasy community with my views from what I've seen. And the ones who are seem to keep their mouths shut out of fear.
Just in case anyone's curious what this website says...
Spoiler for Hiden:
79%
Ben Carson
Ben Carson  Republican
on foreign policy, social, immigration, environmental, and science issues.
79%
Rand Paul
Rand Paul  Republican
on economic, foreign policy, immigration, healthcare, environmental, and science issues.
  You  
Centrist
Your political beliefs would be considered Centrist on an ideological scale.
Privacy
vs
Security
You side moderately towards “Privacy”, meaning you believe the government should not undermine the rights and privacy of its citizens under the guise of national security. This theme is more important to you.
Unilateralism
vs
Multilateralism
You side moderately towards “Multilateralism”, meaning you believe policy decisions should be made collectively with support of everyone who may be affected by the outcome of the decision. This theme is somewhat important to you.
Globalization
vs
Protectionism
You side moderately towards “Globalization”, meaning you believe globalization is necessary in order to increase the economic strength, prosperity, and standard of living of the nation. This theme is somewhat important to you.
Pacifism
vs
Militarism
You side slightly towards “Pacifism”, meaning you more often believe we should use non-violent diplomatic discussion to resolve conflicts. This theme is somewhat important to you.
Populism
vs
Elitism
You side moderately towards “Populism”, meaning you believe decisions are best made when everyone has a say. This theme is somewhat important to you.
Laissez-faire
vs
Keynesian
You side slightly towards “Laissez-faire”, meaning you more often believe government intervention in economic markets leads to long term negative results. This theme is somewhat important to you.
Tough
vs
Tender
You are a centrist on Tough and Tender issues. This theme is somewhat important to you.

Your best fit is...
Young Outsider
along with 13% of the public.
This relatively young, largely independent group holds a mix of conservative and liberal views. And while more lean toward the Republican Party than the Democratic Party, Young Outsiders generally express unfavorable opinions of both major parties. They are largely skeptical of activist government, as a substantial majority views government as wasteful and inefficient. Yet many diverge from the two conservative typology groups – Steadfast Conservatives and Business Conservatives – in their strong support for the environment and many liberal social policies.

I'm not an environmentalist, I'm a conservationist. But the rest is true.

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #346 on: February 02, 2016, 09:59:14 PM »
There are not too many people involved in the Fantasy community with my views from what I've seen. And the ones who are seem to keep their mouths shut out of fear.

The joy of these forums is that people are allowed to hold and even express contrasting views, without it turning into another useless and ugly internet argument. So I hope that you never feel the need to hide them out of fear  :)

It's funny that so many people here are feeling the Bern. I'm not so keen on the high percentage that it gave me for Clinton, as she embodies all the things that I hate in a professional politican (and I especially hate politicians who change their views with whichever way the wind is blowing... Yes, Clinton, I remember what you thought about equal rights for LGBT people a few years ago, or how you supported the invasion of Iraq...), but at least the Iowa vote showed us that this hasn't been a race doomed from the start for Sanders, so I'll watch with eagerness what is to come.
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #347 on: February 02, 2016, 10:29:06 PM »

The joy of these forums is that people are allowed to hold and even express contrasting views, without it turning into another useless and ugly internet argument. So I hope that you never feel the need to hide them out of fear  :)

Reasoned political debate is my ideal as well, but I've seen political debates turn ugly all too often to feel safe really digging into political discussions here (or anywhere, for that matter). Too many people have spent too much time polarizing people. I've found these F-F forums to be really fun and enjoyable (especially the writing contests, but also the discussions) so I'm always paranoid a heated political discussion will make me less comfortable just coming on here to chat. If I know I'm going to return to a rant about one of the many issues I'll never see eye to eye on with the other side, it dampens my enthusiasm.

For that reason, I do tend to largely keep politics to myself, which should show you just how much I despise Trump. The fact that I'd post a rant about him despite my preference to avoid political arguments should tell you all you need to know about his reprehensible campaign tactics (inciting racism and hatred) and general blowhardiness. If you're on the other side of the political aisle from me, I'll happily chat books and gaming and shows all day long with you while steering away from arguments neither of us will "win". But if you genuinely think Trump is a good candidate, I have to question if I should associate with you at all.

Which sounds terrible, I know, but at least I'm honest with myself. :0

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #348 on: February 02, 2016, 11:08:43 PM »
to me, the overwhelming matching of bernie and hillary for our european friends on here makes sense.

those countries are more about equity than guns-n-god.  the geographical isolation (not to be confused with geopolitical isolation) of the united states has a lot to do with that.  when you *HAVE* to get along with your neighbors to keep a lid on the crazy, it tends to push that direction.

i feel you for not fitting in -- i hate unions, love guns, hate bigotry, love capitalism, hate big oil climate deniers, love government regulation of basic human services.  man, and you thought you had outsider problems.

BeardKing

« Reply #349 on: February 03, 2016, 03:08:26 PM »
I must say, I'm a huge political junkie and I definitely enjoy the non-hostile discussion in this thread. On a previous forum that shall remain unnamed, political discussion quickly spiraled out of control and became personal. It was such a drag. This thread is refreshing.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 03:12:46 PM by BeardKing »

Offline Saraband

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #350 on: February 03, 2016, 03:31:38 PM »
Meanwhile, I have been trying to get properly acquainted with the UK's House of Lords, but it seems too surreal to be something that exists in a modern democracy. I'm sure there's plenty of material there for fantastical stories and plots, it's just bizarre, starting with its 820 members.

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #351 on: February 03, 2016, 04:27:12 PM »
Meanwhile, I have been trying to get properly acquainted with the UK's House of Lords, but it seems too surreal to be something that exists in a modern democracy. I'm sure there's plenty of material there for fantastical stories and plots, it's just bizarre, starting with its 820 members.
I'm not really sure what they actually do...

I end up only being connected to local politics because that's the only one I can vote for. And following the big events.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #352 on: February 04, 2016, 02:24:23 AM »
I must say, I'm a huge political junkie and I definitely enjoy the non-hostile discussion in this thread. On a previous forum that shall remain unnamed, political discussion quickly spiraled out of control and became personal. It was such a drag. This thread is refreshing.

It matters a lot to do us here. We even moved this thread out of others to be sure folks who don't enjoy the discussion don't have to be burdened.

So join in!
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #354 on: February 07, 2016, 04:24:44 PM »
http://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/feb/05/bookshops-prices-down-10-for-open-carry-customers-brave-new-books-austin#comment-68197193

ha!  that america-lovin', (probably) immigrant-hating guy in the photo is wearing a kilt.  i love how irony is completely lost on the far right.

in other tragic news -- people don't know what to do when their walmart closes down.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/02/05/what-happens-to-a-tiny-town-when-walmart-disappears/

(note:  not from the onion)

Offline Rostum

« Reply #355 on: February 07, 2016, 06:34:35 PM »
Not only a kilt but Black Watch tartan. Lets pretend to be something we are not.

For thought:

[youtube]Jebt9OnHh6A[/youtube]

Walmarts business model is to undercut any local shops prices until they are out of business. So there is nothing left if the Wallmart goes. You need to work out what you are going to do when you can't drive to a mall and pick up cheap Chinese goods anymore.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 10:28:59 PM by Rostum »

BeardKing

« Reply #356 on: February 09, 2016, 04:56:19 PM »
So today New Hampshire votes. Predictions welcome. :)

Offline Saraband

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #357 on: February 09, 2016, 05:09:56 PM »
I think Rubio won't be as close to the top as he was in Iowa, due to his recent faux-pax in repeating the same sentences over and over again. It will be very hard to beat Trump here, so I think he will come out first and Cruz right behind.

On the Democratic side, Sanders may beat Clinton on this one, but it may be a very close call once more.

I'll be watching with interest on this side of the pond :)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #358 on: February 09, 2016, 05:12:10 PM »
I think trump comes in first, but not a huge win. I think there is a surprise 2nd, with Cruz and Rubio in the pack.

Bernie wins, but not big because of Hillary's ground game. She just needs to not get blown out completely.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #359 on: February 09, 2016, 07:09:45 PM »
my official predictions:

trump:  28%
rubio:  22%
kasich: 13%

bernie:  55%
hillary:  45%