October 15, 2019, 02:36:33 AM

Author Topic: Politics and other ailments of the real world  (Read 267335 times)

Offline m3mnoch

Re: Politics and other ailments of the real world
« Reply #330 on: January 28, 2016, 01:55:59 PM »
Trump said in an interview that Brussels is hell on earth.
In the same comment he says last time he was in Brussels was 20 years ago and that he had a good time. He's never been to Brussels since.
What does he base himself on to make his initial claim then?

Well at least he is aware that Brussels exists and has an opinion which is more than 90% of Americans. He is wrong Heathrow is hell on earth. I suspect he is refering to the administerative centre of the EU. You know them nasty people who interfere whith him building in nature reserves and the like.

You are wrong in that JFK is hell on earth. 

Actually I'm wrong as well, all airports are hell on earth.

it's quite apparent none of you have been to cleveland, ohio.

Offline Hedin

« Reply #331 on: January 28, 2016, 02:23:40 PM »
Trump said in an interview that Brussels is hell on earth.
In the same comment he says last time he was in Brussels was 20 years ago and that he had a good time. He's never been to Brussels since.
What does he base himself on to make his initial claim then?

Well at least he is aware that Brussels exists and has an opinion which is more than 90% of Americans. He is wrong Heathrow is hell on earth. I suspect he is refering to the administerative centre of the EU. You know them nasty people who interfere whith him building in nature reserves and the like.

You are wrong in that JFK is hell on earth. 

Actually I'm wrong as well, all airports are hell on earth.

it's quite apparent none of you have been to cleveland, ohio.

I have!  The Rock n Roll Hall of Fame and downtown were fairly nice.  Plus its close to Cedar Point which is a big bonus.

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #332 on: January 29, 2016, 11:38:06 PM »
omg.  this is amazing.

i do indeed love stephen colbert.

[youtube]WpKiP_gmDS8[/youtube]

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #333 on: February 02, 2016, 02:41:41 PM »
I've been following the debates closely, on both sides, and keeping track of this election unlike any other. And I must say that I was shocked, in a very good way, to see how close Bernie is running against Clinton, following the Iowa results. I still have my doubts that he would make the nomination, Clinton has big money and influence on her said, but it surely was a refreshing surprise.

Also, Trump coming second in Iowa. This would only make me happier if in first place wasn't Trump v. 2.0 Lite.
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #334 on: February 02, 2016, 03:14:10 PM »
I've been following the debates closely, on both sides, and keeping track of this election unlike any other. And I must say that I was shocked, in a very good way, to see how close Bernie is running against Clinton, following the Iowa results. I still have my doubts that he would make the nomination, Clinton has big money and influence on her said, but it surely was a refreshing surprise.

Also, Trump coming second in Iowa. This would only make me happier if in first place wasn't Trump v. 2.0 Lite.

It takes a lot for me to vote Republican, but if the nominee were Marco Rubio, I'd at least give him a chance vs. Clinton. If the 'Pubs choose Casich (as unlikely as that might be), I'd give more than a look.

Meanwhile, Maryland isn't involved until 26 March. I'll be surprised if the Democratic nomination is still in any suspense by then.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #335 on: February 02, 2016, 03:24:18 PM »
if you want to see who you'd side with on the actual issue, you could try this:
https://www.isidewith.com/elections/2016-presidential-quiz

like you, jmack, john kasich is my republican guy.  too bad he doesn't stand a chance.

/sigh

Offline Rukaio_Alter

• Writing Contest Regular and Ineffectual Comic Relief
  • Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: February 02, 2016, 03:36:40 PM »

It takes a lot for me to vote Republican, but if the nominee were Marco Rubio, I'd at least give him a chance vs. Clinton. If the 'Pubs choose Casich (as unlikely as that might be), I'd give more than a look.

Meanwhile, Maryland isn't involved until 26 March. I'll be surprised if the Democratic nomination is still in any suspense by then.
I wouldn't. It's easy to forget, with full-on loonies like Trump and Cruz taking the spotlight, that Rubio is still a hardcore Tea Party-er. He's just significantly better at hiding his extremist views than those two. In some ways, you could argue that that makes him more dangerous since it makes him seem actually electable in comparison.

Kasich is the only real Republican candidate that I'd give any time of day to. The rest are nutters at best and highly dangerous at worst. That party needs a severe overhaul to shake the crazy out of it.
5 Times Winner of the Forum Writing Contest who Totally Hasn't Let it All go to his Head.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Also, <Insert GOD EMPEROR OF THE WRITING CONTEST joke here>

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #337 on: February 02, 2016, 05:01:50 PM »

like you, jmack, john kasich is my republican guy.  too bad he doesn't stand a chance.

/sigh

That survey was actually really interesting. I'm surprised I've never seen an exercise like this before. I particularly liked the growing and shrinking head progress bar at the end, which seems very appropriate to politics as a whole.

I ended up matching pretty much exactly where I expected to match (96%, no less!) which shows, I guess, at least I'm sufficiently aware of where the candidates I support line up with where I think the US should go. So hooray for me.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #338 on: February 02, 2016, 07:23:22 PM »

/sigh

Bernie and Hillary, neck & neck at 90%/89%
But Bush  :P and Kasich over 75%
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: February 02, 2016, 07:42:24 PM »

/sigh

Sanders and Clinton 95% and 94%, closest after that is Rand Paul with 25%.  ;D

I like the breakdown of different issues like the Populism vs Elitism stuff. That was fun!  :P
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

BeardKing

« Reply #340 on: February 02, 2016, 07:48:43 PM »
I side 99% with Bernie, 98% with Hillary. Next is 57% with John Kasich, with the last being 7% with Rick Santorum.

:)

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #341 on: February 02, 2016, 07:59:50 PM »
I side 99% with Bernie, 98% with Hillary. Next is 57% with John Kasich, with the last being 7% with Rick Santorum.

:)

Got the exact same percentages as you  :o
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: February 02, 2016, 08:28:40 PM »
I didn't expand the other questions, that may have changed the result somewhat.

I got: 99% with Bernie, 93% with Hillary. Next is 41% with John Kasich, with the last being 7% with Ben Carson. Bush with 21% and Trump with 17% (still too much).
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #343 on: February 02, 2016, 09:16:54 PM »
I didn't expand the other questions, that may have changed the result somewhat.

I got: 99% with Bernie, 93% with Hillary. Next is 41% with John Kasich, with the last being 7% with Ben Carson. Bush with 21% and Trump with 17% (still too much).

I got 99% with Bernie and Hillary. They were at 99 and 98 (with Bernie in the lead), but then I changed how much I weighted some of my answers (I had left them all at the default), and that lowered a number of the republicans, but also tied the two democrats. So:
99% Bernie, 99% Clinton, 51% Kasich, then the scores plummet, ending with Santorum at 3%
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 09:21:05 PM by Arry »
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline night_wrtr

« Reply #344 on: February 02, 2016, 09:33:11 PM »
94% Hillary. 92% Bernie.

I think it's funny that I am only 25% eye to eye with Rand Paul, who represents my state. :-/