October 23, 2019, 01:07:47 AM

Author Topic: Politics and other ailments of the real world  (Read 269073 times)

Offline Rostum

Re: Politics and other ailments of the real world
« Reply #300 on: January 15, 2016, 01:56:26 PM »
He doesn't have nearly the power. Unless he goes nuts and declares martial law he is still subject to the checks and balances that have been put in place.

Would those be the same checks and balences applied to the NSA?

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #301 on: January 15, 2016, 02:18:07 PM »
WE'RE TAKIN' OUR COUNTRY BACK!  GONNA MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!

get your gear here:
http://northwestfront.org/storefront/

p.s.  just realized, i should point out: SARCASM!

Offline CryptofCthulhu

« Reply #302 on: January 15, 2016, 02:44:27 PM »
He doesn't have nearly the power. Unless he goes nuts and declares martial law he is still subject to the checks and balances that have been put in place.

Would those be the same checks and balences applied to the NSA?

So you're saying that was an executive order by Obama?
“Silence is only frightening to people who are compulsively verbalizing.” ~ William S. Boroughs

Offline Rostum

« Reply #303 on: January 15, 2016, 06:22:06 PM »
I am saying nothing of the sort. Information is power and when you spy on politicians (legally or illegally)the assumption must be that they can be coerced to the will of an unelected organisation and so democracy is subverted and your vote is worth even less. Checks and balences no longer apply.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 06:25:45 PM by Rostum »

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #304 on: January 15, 2016, 07:34:05 PM »
Also, here's the thing most people miss about Trump. He's not stupid.
he knows his best chance at winning the Republican nomination is doing exactly what he's doing now. I'm willing to place money on if and when he wins the nomination, his tune will change. Notice how he's barely spoken on social politics? That's because he's liberal on those issues. If he spoke up, he would lose the vote. As crazy as it seems,  the more he talks, the higher his numbers seem to go. That's his strategy. Meanwhile, keep all the attention on him and away from the other candidates, so the majority of the party has trouble seeing past him.
Also, yes, it's true he won't have that much power in a way. He still has the power to veto bills though, and with people not paying attention to who they elect in their state or town, he can get away with it if he tries. the NSA can get away with more because there's no public accountability. We can all see, for the most part, what the president is doing.
Am I scared of who becomes President? Not really. If any president tries to do something rediculous, congress will lose their shit. And yes, they can stop him. Or her.
So just sit back, relax, and vote, with the hopes that the people's decision will matter this time around.

Offline m3mnoch

Politics and other ailments of the real world
« Reply #305 on: January 16, 2016, 01:23:37 AM »
i've said it before.  i'll say it again.

if trump wins the nomination -- biggest landslide in history.

http://www.gallup.com/opinion/polling-matters/188177/trump-image-among-democrats-independents-negative-gop-candidate.aspx

BeardKing

« Reply #306 on: January 16, 2016, 09:21:27 PM »

http://www.gallup.com/opinion/polling-matters/188177/trump-image-among-democrats-independents-negative-gop-candidate.aspx

Agreed. He may win a few southern states, but that's about it.

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #307 on: January 26, 2016, 03:59:42 PM »

Hmm. Are we sure about that?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/26/politics/donald-trump-ted-cruz-polling/index.html

Note: I'm linking CNN since people often accuse MSNBC of being left-biased, though MSNBC also has Trump leading by a good margin in Iowa. For those outside the US curious why we care bout Iowa, for some reason we always let tiny Iowa vote first for our Democrat and Republication candidates. This means winning Iowa has a huge effect on voting in successive states, and who Iowa voters pick has an outsized effect on the nomination process as a whole. Basically, people want to back a winner, and Iowa shapes the perception of who's a winner.

Fox News, naturally, doesn't seem to be covering the fact that Trump might win the Republican nomination at all (or if they are covering, they've got it pretty well buried) since they've pretty much been working in lockstep with most of the established Republican apparatus to ensure anyone BUT Trump gets the Republican nod. Doesn't seem to be working for them.

So ... that's happening.

Offline Hedin

« Reply #308 on: January 26, 2016, 04:16:19 PM »
The funny thing is that Cruz is far from an establishment candidate and I bet the Republican elite are pulling for him pretty hard right now.  I find it a little interesting that it doesn't seem like Rubio is picking up a lot of support.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 26, 2016, 04:19:55 PM »
Sooo.... What's up with Bloomberg?
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #310 on: January 26, 2016, 04:37:31 PM »

Hmm. Are we sure about that?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/26/politics/donald-trump-ted-cruz-polling/index.html

Note: I'm linking CNN since people often accuse MSNBC of being left-biased, though MSNBC also has Trump leading by a good margin in Iowa. For those outside the US curious why we care bout Iowa, for some reason we always let tiny Iowa vote first for our Democrat and Republication candidates. This means winning Iowa has a huge effect on voting in successive states, and who Iowa voters pick has an outsized effect on the nomination process as a whole. Basically, people want to back a winner, and Iowa shapes the perception of who's a winner.

Fox News, naturally, doesn't seem to be covering the fact that Trump might win the Republican nomination at all (or if they are covering, they've got it pretty well buried) since they've pretty much been working in lockstep with most of the established Republican apparatus to ensure anyone BUT Trump gets the Republican nod. Doesn't seem to be working for them.

So ... that's happening.

yup.  so totally sure.

he's got the lowest "likability" index in history among the center and left and his campaign is pretty much mirroring barry goldwater's.  we all know how that turned out.  the people who love him, really, really love him.  fortunately for the rest of us, the other 95% of the country NOT in his part of the hard-core republican base can't stand him.

word on the street is now that the gop establishment has given up and they'd rather get behind trump losing the whitehouse this cycle than even the teeny-tiny possibility of a cruz term.

Offline Hedin

« Reply #311 on: January 26, 2016, 04:42:24 PM »
word on the street is now that the gop establishment has given up and they'd rather get behind trump losing the whitehouse this cycle than even the teeny-tiny possibility of a cruz term.

The question with a Trump nomination is what happen to the Republican ticket downstream.  It's one thing to throw in the towel on the presidency but how many anti-Trump voters come out and how much would they sway the Republican majorities in Congress (and not to mention any affects on local races)?

Sooo.... What's up with Bloomberg?

As someone who mostly votes Democrat, a Bloomberg entry worries me as much as the Republicans would be if Trump went independent.  I'm not going to pretend I know a ton of all of his policies but from what I do know it's more likely that he would leech Democratic votes rather than Republican ones.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #312 on: January 26, 2016, 05:02:05 PM »
My concern is that people will start to get comfortable with the idea of Trump.

And Hillary is NOT well-liked. He can completely attack her. Any thought that it's hands-off because she's a woman is wishful thinking by her fans. I think it's gloves off.

Bloomberg has no chance, and would pull support from Hillary.

Meanwhile, I'm actually starting to think Bernie might have legs. (Not that I'm ready to vote for him.) Trump can't really attack him personally from what I can see.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: January 26, 2016, 05:39:25 PM »
From across the pond Bernie looks the most reasonable.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Hedin

« Reply #314 on: January 26, 2016, 05:45:06 PM »
My concern is that people will start to get comfortable with the idea of Trump.

And Hillary is NOT well-liked. He can completely attack her. Any thought that it's hands-off because she's a woman is wishful thinking by her fans. I think it's gloves off.

Bloomberg has no chance, and would pull support from Hillary.

Meanwhile, I'm actually starting to think Bernie might have legs. (Not that I'm ready to vote for him.) Trump can't really attack him personally from what I can see.

Unless you believe the conspiracy theory (I don't but find it funny to think about) that Trump is a Clinton plant to disrupt the Republicans. 

I don't really care for Clinton and I like most of what Sanders says but I think Clinton is more electable and would make a better President than Sanders.  There is no way Sanders can get through all that he wants to with a Republican Congress and I think Clinton could fight them on a policy front better.