October 16, 2019, 11:44:13 PM

Author Topic: Politics and other ailments of the real world  (Read 268074 times)

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
Re: Politics and other ailments of the real world
« Reply #285 on: January 07, 2016, 07:31:43 PM »
Plus Israel is "under siege by Muslims" which unfortunately plays up quite well here.  The ironic thing is that the Koran shares many of the same stories as the Torah and Bible but you never hear talk like that.

Hmm, I don't think it's stated much because it's pretty obvious. They're all Abrahamic Religions, so they have to share a good bit, but that's like saying Westboro Baptist Church is the same as my home church. It's in the interpretation of similar writings that creates such discourse. I mean, look at how many denominations there are in Protestantism, let alone the divide between that, Catholicism, and Orthodoxy! There's also the main problem of their core beliefs, such as the difference between Law, Grace, and The Five Pillars, which is where most disagreement falls under.

No, I'm not a fan of the "Israel is God's Land so we must protect it" narrative when that can be thrown under the rug for nonbelievers. Our major allies in the Middle East? Turkey, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, and Israel. Israel just happens to receive the most air time, receives the most publicity to create a substantial voting bloc in America (let us not forget that more than half of Americans are either Christian or Jewish), and I believe our ally ties have held the longest, though I need to research that. Plus it helps that Israel is the most vehement against Iran, the other big superpower in the Middle East, which has ties to Russia, which is our biggest rival since the Cold War. But when did Israel form again? That's right. During the Cold War.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline Doctor_Chill

• Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #286 on: January 08, 2016, 03:17:32 AM »
Double posting but this is pretty funny. (Map of the world according to a Trump supporter.)

“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline Nox

« Reply #287 on: January 08, 2016, 08:50:13 PM »
Here's a bit of good news for a change.

Uhh, you may not want to watch the video in the article as the sounds will probably stick in your mind for a while.

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #288 on: January 08, 2016, 10:12:32 PM »
As much as animal cruelty is disgusting, is it something that should be handled on this scale by the FBI?
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline Nox

« Reply #289 on: January 08, 2016, 10:23:44 PM »
As much as animal cruelty is disgusting, is it something that should be handled on this scale by the FBI?

“There is overwhelming evidence that [animal abuse] is linked to crimes against people, including violent crimes and domestic violence,” she said. “It’s not about protecting people or animals, it’s protecting them both.”

I think this is a large part of it.

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #290 on: January 08, 2016, 10:42:12 PM »
"Overwhelming evidence."

Hm, now I'm curious, as I never thought about that.
I'm wondering if the guys that bombed Boston or the ones who shot people in schools because of bullying had discounted their frustrations on animals before. Among other criminals and other violent crimes. I wish they had given examples of cases.

I thought having animals helped people with their problems. Of course, not everyone, but most.

Offline Nox

« Reply #291 on: January 08, 2016, 10:54:18 PM »
It's actually surprisingly high.

In the United States alone, roughly 63% of violent criminals started with animal cruelty — that number jumps to 70% when other crimes, such as theft, are included, the New York State Humane Association reports. (In Australia, 95% of people who are involved with drugs, theft, assault, murder or rape participated in animal cruelty, too.)

It's actually insanely high.

Offline Doctor_Chill

• Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #292 on: January 08, 2016, 11:02:11 PM »
"You give me a violent criminal, and I will show you a record of animal abuse." -One of my professors.

See, animals are the easiest victims, which makes deviants ecstatic because they can answer their violent questions through these mediums. I'm not entirely sure a database by the FBI is going to solve anything, but to each their own.

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #293 on: January 08, 2016, 11:27:02 PM »
Most (if not all) kids naturally like animals.

The article says violence to animals leads to violence to people, but then what starts violence against animals, specially at an early age?
I feel like they are missing the roots of the problem, like bullying, family problems, violent neighborhood, etc.

If they kept track of kids who have been bullied (and who bullied, specially), more support for kids with family problems (although I don't know how much this is reported) and researched where and when criminals grew up and how violent the place was, and did actions to do something, it could even avoid a lot of violence (to animal and people).
Much more preemptive, but then again, I think that's expecting too much of any government.

Feels like when info actually reaches the FBI, the damage to the animal will be done anyway and one would wonder  how they would keep track of the criminal, even more if it's some kid, to avoid him hurting people later.

Offline Doctor_Chill

• Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #294 on: January 08, 2016, 11:50:04 PM »
Most (if not all) kids naturally like animals.

Yeah, let's not start that conversation. ;D I know plenty of kids that don't like animals.

The article says violence to animals leads to violence to people, but then what starts violence against animals, specially at an early age?
I feel like they are missing the roots of the problem, like bullying, family problems, violent neighborhood, etc.

Yeah, this so much. In fact, most problems that people report when it comes to crime aren't the problems at all. If you want to get down to it, poverty is the number one cause of crime, but that's getting deep into sociological theory soooo...

Anyway, I agree. While a database is nice in theory (and actually kinda practical for tracking and predicting some semblance of crime through the juvenile system), there's other and better ways to go about preventing crime. Though it's a nice step. :)

Offline Nox

« Reply #295 on: January 08, 2016, 11:57:09 PM »
It's a thing. Keeping statistics is very close to profiling. People wouldn't be all that crazy if FBI were to do that.
Plus, not much money in animal abuse so they'll probably continue just focusing on piracy and other "terrible" crimes. Still, one dickhead paying for making a dog produce the sounds in that video is already nice.

In other news; Guzman has been caught...again.

I will now be taking bets on how long he stays in prison this time. House rules say one week.

Offline CryptofCthulhu

« Reply #296 on: January 11, 2016, 02:35:10 PM »
Animal cruelty tends to mean a lack of empathy. Dahmer for example had a pretty twisted childhood history of animal abuse. Seems to be a warning sign in children for possible sociopathic or psychopathic behavior in the future.
“Silence is only frightening to people who are compulsively verbalizing.” ~ William S. Boroughs

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: January 15, 2016, 09:41:22 AM »
USA!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPRfP_TEQ-g[/youtube]

@Saurus finds the best videos.  8)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 10:01:55 AM by Raptori »
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #298 on: January 15, 2016, 11:28:10 AM »
I expected them to be singing in (north) Korean.

I just don't understand how intelligent people don't look at Trump and not see Mussolini or the chance of worse.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline CryptofCthulhu

« Reply #299 on: January 15, 2016, 01:12:48 PM »
I expected them to be singing in (north) Korean.

I just don't understand how intelligent people don't look at Trump and not see Mussolini or the chance of worse.

He doesn't have nearly the power. Unless he goes nuts and declares martial law he is still subject to the checks and balances that have been put in place.
“Silence is only frightening to people who are compulsively verbalizing.” ~ William S. Boroughs