October 16, 2019, 01:14:24 PM

Author Topic: Politics and other ailments of the real world  (Read 267963 times)

Offline Rostum

Re: Politics and other ailments of the real world
« Reply #255 on: December 17, 2015, 06:03:09 PM »
The worst part is that apparently he is running because of a "dare" from Bill Clinton. A good number of people are saying that he is actually out to purposely fracture the conservative voting block into the "extreme right" apart from the "moderate right" and even the undecided voters. Especially if Trump runs as an independent, we will see about 5-10% of the electorate vote for him, 30-35% will vote for the Republican, leaving an almost certain chance that that the Democratic party will get the majority.

If he gets the nomination, I can actually see a larger margin of victory for the Democratic party as that will mobilize people to actually go out and vote against him.

Mabye it will help highlight the dangers of a stagnating political class and system to you all.
The world survived Mondale as VP a man who made Regan look sane. Mabye Trump would give you a never again moment and you can persuade the coperate financial base that you have had enough of the the nutters they expect you to vote for and would actually like to choose someone with your, not their interests at heart.

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #256 on: December 17, 2015, 06:05:30 PM »
ha!  just saw this today!

http://politicalo.com/trump-responds-to-the-brits-we-already-banned-the-english-from-america-once-in-1776-well-gladly-do-it-again/

take that brits!  we banned you once, we'll do it again!  ban all the things!

heh.  he's an amazingly ignorant human being.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #257 on: December 17, 2015, 08:14:11 PM »
Aww bless. He did lose his planning permission appeal this week as well as his honoury degree so is probably vexed with the scots as well. Is he going to deport all the Scots and Irish as well? We couldnt cope, seriously.

By the way those millions in London are real scary no wonder our schools and hospitals are collapsing under the strain. They are not paying taxes or contributing in any meaningful way. They must be plotting.
Or it may be ther are less than a million adult muslims in the whole of Great Britian.

While not wanting to get into a patriotic arguement over independence. The only reason you got it was because you were not worth the bother and had little of value at the time. There were only British 8,000 troops to tie down America and the Spice Islands which had a GDP about ten times greater and were under threat from the French. We were a bit busy at the time fighting France, Spain the Netherlands and Mysore in India. America was a sideshow nothing more.
Every time the British took a town they had to abandon the one they were holding and it still took you a nearly 2 years to win a battle.

After you got Independance you manufactured some really bad mechanical devices (clocks mostly) this was due to the British needing something to buy off you (and flog cheap to the commonwealth) so you could afford to buy our goods. Started you on the path to industrialisation, which was probably a bad move from our perspective.

For comparison today our entire armed forces is slightly smaller than your Marine Corps. We no longer rule the waves so yes if you want to keep us out you are both entitled and capable of doing so. If you choose to do it on Trumps account fair enough but remember he was insulting to a segment of our (and your) population in a personal capacity which is why a petition was raised.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 08:20:52 PM by Rostum »

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 17, 2015, 08:49:14 PM »
http://politicalo.com/trump-responds-to-the-brits-we-already-banned-the-english-from-america-once-in-1776-well-gladly-do-it-again/
This makes me want to see how many diplomatic incidents he'd cause as the president of the USA. Not enough to root for him, but still.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #259 on: December 18, 2015, 04:11:25 AM »
Aww bless. He did lose his planning permission appeal this week as well as his honoury degree so is probably vexed with the scots as well. Is he going to deport all the Scots and Irish as well? We couldnt cope, seriously.

By the way those millions in London are real scary no wonder our schools and hospitals are collapsing under the strain. They are not paying taxes or contributing in any meaningful way. They must be plotting.
Or it may be ther are less than a million adult muslims in the whole of Great Britian.

While not wanting to get into a patriotic arguement over independence. The only reason you got it was because you were not worth the bother and had little of value at the time. There were only British 8,000 troops to tie down America and the Spice Islands which had a GDP about ten times greater and were under threat from the French. We were a bit busy at the time fighting France, Spain the Netherlands and Mysore in India. America was a sideshow nothing more.
Every time the British took a town they had to abandon the one they were holding and it still took you a nearly 2 years to win a battle.

After you got Independance you manufactured some really bad mechanical devices (clocks mostly) this was due to the British needing something to buy off you (and flog cheap to the commonwealth) so you could afford to buy our goods. Started you on the path to industrialisation, which was probably a bad move from our perspective.

For comparison today our entire armed forces is slightly smaller than your Marine Corps. We no longer rule the waves so yes if you want to keep us out you are both entitled and capable of doing so. If you choose to do it on Trumps account fair enough but remember he was insulting to a segment of our (and your) population in a personal capacity which is why a petition was raised.
Uh...
Okay, I'm not a historian but...
Let's just ignore everything you said about taking two years just to win a battle as if we had a seasoned army in the first place. Let's just ignore how the British, 8000 of them if what you're saying is true, got beat by people who were mostly fighting their first war, and sucked at it.
If America was just a sideshow, and if America was truly as invaluable as you say, then why, oh why, did the British come back in the War of 1812 and try to take us back? Again, I'm no historian, so maybe there's a valid reason why a country would send an entire war force and risk lives for a country that was worthless to them.
To be fair, I hate our current government. I believe we're as corrupt as can be, with few exceptions. That doesn't mean I don't support the idea the majority of the founding fathers had for this country. What I am interested in is history, but in no professional capacity. I paid attention because it shows where a lot of corruption began, and since we're destined to repeat ourselves, may give me warning signs as to what is next. So, from what my corrupted government has taught me, that makes no sense. From what John Green has taught me, that makes no sense. Pretty much everything I've heard all my life  doesn't match up with what you're saying.
I know you said you didn't want to go into a lot of detail, but I would love some more information, as well as any sources you can find.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #260 on: December 18, 2015, 11:21:02 AM »
It would be very interesting to compare the conquering of India to the loss in America. What were the military, environmental, and political/social factors in each.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #261 on: December 18, 2015, 03:06:28 PM »
rostum (while clearly biased) is basically correct.  we were a distraction.  france was the big fish at the time.  the british had to make a choice.

my best friend had to read a gritty, accurate book on the whole george washington / revolutionary war thing at navy war college when he was working at the pentagon. (he's an air force colonel)  if i recall correctly, that particular book was all about the strategy and tactics and such at the time.  he was telling me how it debunked a lot of the general public's white-washed view of the war.

i guess washington lost 99% of the battles.  the other 1% happened to be the ones that ended up mattering.

i've just sent him a note to get the book title.  i'll drop it in the thread when he gets back to me.

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #262 on: December 18, 2015, 03:38:09 PM »
too good not to share.

your republican frontrunner, america:
[youtube]UZ1L013k5Hw[/youtube]

it starts getting amazing about 2 minutes in.

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #263 on: December 18, 2015, 03:46:13 PM »
OMG!!

the hits just keep coming!  i'm in youtube hell!

[youtube]qUGT30gGtiI[/youtube]

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #264 on: December 18, 2015, 03:57:44 PM »
Maybe people should stop linking and commenting and gving him a stage (same thing with terrorists).
Without the media platform, no one would know or care...
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #265 on: December 18, 2015, 04:52:49 PM »
OMG!!

the hits just keep coming!  i'm in youtube hell!

[youtube]qUGT30gGtiI[/youtube]

But with the British accent... I BELIEVE him!
 ;D ;D
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #266 on: December 18, 2015, 05:16:31 PM »
Maybe people should stop linking and commenting and gving him a stage (same thing with terrorists).

This has been my thinking for the longest of times. I teach Political Science at the college, and I can assure you, maybe half of my students know somebody other than Trump, Clinton, Bush, or Bernie. It isn't the platform that wins you an office but the media attention.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline Hedin

« Reply #267 on: December 18, 2015, 05:53:40 PM »

As someone who is likely voting for the other party I want to keep the clown show going for a long time.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #268 on: December 18, 2015, 07:42:31 PM »
If America was just a sideshow, and if America was truly as invaluable as you say, then why, oh why, did the British come back in the War of 1812 and try to take us back? Again, I'm no historian, so maybe there's a valid reason why a country would send an entire war force and risk lives for a country that was worthless to them.

The French, Mostly.

Some of it was about press ganging English and Irish sailors out of American ships and the interferance in American Trade by the Royal Navy.

The 1812 war was fought on American soil only if you count supplying factions in the southern states where there was still support for British Colonial rule and some troops landed in the deep south, After a half arsed attack on New York. The rest of it was a defensive war in Canada until the French were being chased back into France and troops could be freed up in Europe to be transported to do anything else. In 1814 and 15 there was fighting in America and It was pointles from a British perspective. There was no threat from America of supplying resources or troops to A beaten Napolean.

Europe was involved in a little tiff at the time and had their been British troops available to retake America then I am sure there would have been those in favour of doing so. There were not. Holding down an Empire and fighting the French meant Britain was on a defensive footing in all its wars.

From a British standpoint 1812 is only significant in that you beat a number of blockading Frigates in naval duels. The Royal Navy wasn't used to that and it caused panic on the stock exchange and demoralised the population. Not used to losing at sea.
From An American perspective it is a lot more important and did a lot to unify you as a Nation.

Offline CryptofCthulhu

« Reply #269 on: January 05, 2016, 01:40:15 PM »
I have no intention of ever voting as I find it futile, but I have enjoyed Trump's antagonizing of the Democrats and their supporters; as well as his revealing the cowardice of the GOP when it comes to voicing what their supporters actually want.

People are too wrapped up in the power that the president allegedly has. The President of the US doesn't have dictatorial powers, so whatever possibly outrageous claims they make and how if they are voted in what drastic measures they will take is just done to stir up the voters emotions.

Unless he had an overwhelming support base in both the house and senate, there's a snowball's chance in hell that Trump could get legislation passed to build an actual wall across the southern border. He's just taking the immigration issue and sensationalizing it so that the press is going to spend more time than they would on the more down to Earth proposals put fourth by other members of the GOP.

“Silence is only frightening to people who are compulsively verbalizing.” ~ William S. Boroughs