October 19, 2019, 09:01:34 PM

Author Topic: Politics and other ailments of the real world  (Read 268791 times)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
Re: Politics and other ailments of the real world
« Reply #180 on: December 03, 2015, 04:21:59 PM »

For comparrison

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/brit-jailed-keeping-secret-stash-weapons-bedroom-article-1.2453688

That one just seems kind of... sad.
5 years in jail? I guess so, but, man, I hope we never make Legos illegal.

(Yes, I know. The one has nothing to do with the other, except for the potential of unhealthy obsessions.
And the fashioning of weapons.)
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Rostum

« Reply #181 on: December 03, 2015, 04:58:03 PM »
That one just seems kind of... sad.
5 years in jail? I guess so, but, man, I hope we never make Legos illegal.

There is a idiocy known as zero tolerence. Due to some knee Jerk reactions to shootings in this country and a lack of understanding of how every time licencing became stricter there were more illegal guns available (totally unrelated) to criminals. A policy tying the hands judges was put in place and a minimum of 5 years enforced for illegal possession of a firearm or ammunition Irrespective of anything else.

Now if grandad dies and I find his service revolver in the attic what do I do?
If my licence expires do I run the risk of being raided?

More to the point if the police corner someone who is armed once they would have said nobodies been hurt. Put it down and lets keep it that way. Now they know they are going down for 8 years (+3 for intent) and there life as they know it is in effect over there is less reason not to point it at the policeman who may or may not be armed in the UK.

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 05, 2015, 03:46:16 PM »
https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/guntv-sell-firearms-us-viewers-002644396.html?vp=1&cache=clear

'GunTV' to sell firearms to US viewers ,A new home shopping channel will offer weapons for sale
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Rostum

« Reply #183 on: December 05, 2015, 07:59:42 PM »
Surprised this didn't already exist, but to an outsider it is insane.

I am curious about the next developments in Body armour, whith the improvements occuring will Flechette and explosive rounds become available to the American public to counter them?

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 06, 2015, 12:46:11 AM »
Surprised it hasn't been mentioned here - a couple of days ago in the US, Republicans blocked a bill that aimed to stop terrorists from buying guns.

Are they completely insane?

???
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #185 on: December 06, 2015, 03:43:52 AM »
Surprised it hasn't been mentioned here - a couple of days ago in the US, Republicans blocked a bill that aimed to stop terrorists from buying guns.

Are they completely insane?

???

Just focused on personal political survival.
Total cretins.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #186 on: December 06, 2015, 04:11:18 AM »
Could be wrong, but from what I heard they blocked the bill because there was planned parenthood stuff attached to it. Otherwise most of those people would've been for it.

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 06, 2015, 05:43:15 AM »
Could be wrong, but from what I heard they blocked the bill because there was planned parenthood stuff attached to it. Otherwise most of those people would've been for it.
Can't find anything mentioning anything like that - the only reports I've found say that they were supposedly "defending the rights of Americans who might be wrongly on the terrorist list". Even though the bill included a right to appeal if you're mistakenly on the watchlist. Besides, why would a bill to do with gun laws have anything to do with planned parenthood attached to it?  :o
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #188 on: December 06, 2015, 06:04:54 AM »

welcome to the party of 'no'.

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #189 on: December 06, 2015, 11:52:00 AM »
Otherwise known as the party of Me.
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Rostum

« Reply #190 on: December 06, 2015, 03:30:12 PM »
Quote from: ultamentkiller on Today at 04:11:18 AM

Can't find anything mentioning anything like that - the only reports I've found say that they were supposedly "defending the rights of Americans who might be wrongly on the terrorist list". Even though the bill included a right to appeal if you're mistakenly on the watchlist. Besides, why would a bill to do with gun laws have anything to do with planned parenthood attached to it?  :o

This is a deception game in American politics if you want to get something unpopular passed you dress it up in something that makes sense and is popular hiding the nasty part away where it is not going to get read until it is too late. Conversely if you want to kill a bill you get amendments added to it that would be unpopular and get it voted down. Relevance to the original bill is no longer required.

There are a certain part of the American public that will object to anything mentioning Planned Parenthood and it seems you have to be a religious fundamentalist to get elected to the republicans. The idea that the state should have control over someone’s reproductive process in the land of the free .

Please sort out this separation of the Church and State as while it can be fascinating to watch it can be barbaric and scary as well.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 03:45:23 PM by Rostum »

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 06, 2015, 03:39:31 PM »
Quote from: ultamentkiller on Today at 04:11:18 AM

This is a deception game in American politics if you want to get something unpopular passed you dress it up in something that makes sense and is popular hiding the nasty part away where it is not going to get read until it is too late. Conversely if you want to kill a bill you get ammendments added to it that would be unpopular and get it voted down. Relevence to the original bill is no longer required.
:o

I'm so glad I don't live in America.  :P

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #192 on: December 06, 2015, 04:26:30 PM »
This is a deception game in American politics if you want to get something unpopular passed you dress it up in something that makes sense and is popular hiding the nasty part away where it is not going to get read until it is too late. Conversely if you want to kill a bill you get amendments added to it that would be unpopular and get it voted down. Relevance to the original bill is no longer required.

truth.

There are a certain part of the American public that will object to anything mentioning Planned Parenthood and it seems you have to be a religious fundamentalist to get elected to the republicans. The idea that the state should have control over someone’s reproductive process in the land of the free .

right?  they somehow reconcile:
"we need smaller government, less interference, and more freedom!"

with things like:
"we need to legislate control of your reproductive rights!"
"we need to legislate english as the official language!"
"we need to legislate christianity as the official religion!"

it's an amazing view into managing cognitive dissonance on a grand scale.

the part that boggles is their thinking that moving farther to the right and 'getting out the evangelical vote' will win a general election.  they learned nothing from 2012.

keep in mind, 'they' is really a small-ish minority of conservatives.  i have many friends who are struggling with the perceived direction of the party, so just turn off the tv and avoid politics at all cost.

but, the crazies are loud and they are EATING UP things like trump signing women's breasts and ben carson fielding questions at town halls like "are you going to be a puppet like obama of the new world order?"

if they can't get rubio or jeb (anyone actually *electable*) to win the primary, the general election is going to be the biggest landslide in history.

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #193 on: December 06, 2015, 04:29:40 PM »
If only it were that simple...
Christians don't see it as being just "apart of the reproductive process." They see it as dealing with a human life. So, using that argument against the process is kind of like saying, "To think you can't kill someone in the land of the free..."
Another reason Republicans are against it. Not all of Planned Parenthood is about this, but when the videos came out about how much money they could get for which baby parts, that made a lot of people very angry. When more information came out about how they were crushing the babies' bones to get them out feet first, that made people even more angry. Now, whenever someone mentions planned parenthood, that's what a lot of people think of over where I am, even though the whole thing isn't about abortion.
As far as birth control goes, that one just depends on the type of Christian you are. I think most denominations over here are fine with it. After all, what's the point of having kids if you can't afford to take care of them? But the ones who are against can be quite outspoken about it. There's also 4 out of the 24 brands that people find a particular issue. I can't remember what brands or why.

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #194 on: December 06, 2015, 04:35:12 PM »
if they can't get rubio or jeb (anyone actually *electable*) to win the primary, the general election is going to be the biggest landslide in history.
Actually, you might be wrong there. There's a good number of independents out there willing to vote for anyone whose not a politician, even Trump. Jeb won't get anywhere near the top of the primaries because he's a Bush, plain and simple. Rubio has a chance, but apparently Cruz is crushing him at the moment?
If the Republicans want to win the vote, they need to elect Carlie however you spell her last name. She's a woman meaning she has a chance against Clinton, and she's a non-politician almost securing the independent vote. However, apparently the party isn't thinking like this, and just wants another guy up there.